⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

Grey area my foot. It has devolved into outright cheating. The refereeing is a joke.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

well which is it the players trying to 'cheat' or the referees being incompetent.....im not really sure you can have both UNLESS your implicitly the deck is completely rigged, and the refs allow big clubs to cheat, but not the littler guy :chin:
out of interest are you referring to things like 'professional fouls' as outright cheating?
Last edited by Mr_incredible on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:01 pm Grey area my foot. It has devolved into outright cheating. The refereeing is a joke.
I'm inclined to agree re the refereeing.

It might be my imagination, but I don't recall a lot of shithousery in the majority of World Cup games. Obviously there were the notable usual exceptions.
Felixstowesfinest
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Felixstowesfinest »

Both my brother in laws are geordies
One a plastic and one a bona fide Newcastle brown swilling gimp
Gotta beat These twats
0-1 Bowen
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

Pete647580 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:07 pm I'm inclined to agree re the refereeing.

It might be my imagination, but I don't recall a lot of shithousery in the majority of World Cup games. Obviously there were the notable usual exceptions.
the world cup games where they were forced to play for about 10 mins per game extra because how long it was taking to take goal kicks and people recovering from falling over?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Mr_incredible wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:06 pm well which is it the players trying to 'cheat' or the referees being incompetent.....im not really sure you can have both UNLESS your implicitly the deck is completely rigged, and the refs allow big clubs to cheat, but not the littler guy :chin:
out of interest are you referring to things like 'professional fouls' as outright cheating?
Both. Players should hold themselves to a higher standard and the referees should clamp down on it. The coaches should also be held responsible for encouraging it.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Very confident of the 3pts this weekend. :crest:
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Vienna wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:52 pm Very confident of the 3pts this weekend. :crest:
Don't you say that every week?

:D
Pete647580
Has liked: 1203 likes
Total likes: 569 likes

Post by Pete647580 »

Mr_incredible wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:12 pm the world cup games where they were forced to play for about 10 mins per game extra because how long it was taking to take goal kicks and people recovering from falling over?
Obviously there were the notable usual exceptions.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Vienna wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:52 pm Very confident of the 3pts this weekend. :crest:
Why not. I believe we have a much better team/squad than Newcastle, but undoubtedly they are ''playing better'. They dont particularly press very high and form to date is built on a very good defensive record. They are at home and will have to push forward to please the home crowd. That plays to our strengths.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:53 pm Why not. I believe we have a much better team/squad than Newcastle, but undoubtedly they are ''playing better'. They dont particularly press very high and form to date is built on a very good defensive record. They are at home and will have to push forward to please the home crowd. That plays to our strengths.
I don't think there is as much difference in the quality of squads as the table suggests, but do you really think we have a much better team/squad than them??

Outside of Rice, which other players would you say would definitely get in their first choice side?
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:56 pm I don't think there is as much difference in the quality of squads as the table suggests, but do you really think we have a much better team/squad than them??

Outside of Rice, which other players would you say would definitely get in their first choice side?
Aguard, Zouma, Bowen, Paqueta, Antonio, Ings (both would get time on the pitch). Probably Fornals and Benny. Thats in IMHO.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Fair enough
I don't think any of them would except Rice, possibly an on form Paq and Bowen
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I'll have a pint of what you are on. Only one that gets in their team is rice .
Augerd and bowen maybe make the bench.

They are much better than us , the table doesn't lie !
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1983 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I am massively conflicted about NUFC, tbh.

Snowflakery: No nation state, especially the repugnant Saudi Arabia should be able to buy a club.

Brexit Britain: I can't help but be pleased that an English bloke is doing as well as Eddie Howe in fact is. One defeat in 20 league matches is phenonmenal. I bet their lifelong supporters can't believe what they're watching, because, even in the Keegan era, they generally outscored teams and didn't have anything like the impregnability you now see in them.

Definitely deserves some CL action, does Howe, he's proved that now.

Trouble is that the team/club/murderous ownership don't.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Another scummy club always hated them

Love us to burst their bubble !
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

Newcastle are where they are on footballing merits at the moment. Because of that, and because of the goodwill toward Eddie Howe and for most part, their fan base, they're mostly getting a pass on moral judgement and disdain. This won't last. There will come a point soon where they will flex their financial muscle and most fanbases will be apoplectic. And that outrage will be hypocritical. Why? Because we support sides in a league that is systematically destroying the financial viability of all other footballing leagues. The premier league is the super league.
Last edited by WCpete on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:03 pm Fair enough
I think Aguerd starts over Schar, Rice over Longstaff, Paqueta might get in as the other alongside Bruno, Almiron has had a great season so between him and Bowen it comes down to form.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:03 pm Fair enough
In our form and Moyes style it's slim pickings.
But dropping Paqueta, Rice, Bowen and Aguerd into that confident newcastle team with a solid defence is very different to what we see.
Also Fornals if ever allowed to play centrally is better than Longstaff and more creative than Willock. But willock is good at getting in the box and finishing.

The real difference is their defence, positive manager and confidence.
They are without doubt the best team without European football and that will serve them well getting CL. Quite lucky Liverpool and Chelsea are in turmoil. For me their team doesn't finish above 6th the season we finished 6th.
Last edited by El brooko79 on Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Billy Hunt wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:18 pm If that's the case with squad comparisons, and I'm inclined to agree with you, why the huge difference in form over the last 12 months ?

The full-backs, the managers, the (new) board backing the (new) manager, or something else ?

I have been up there a number of times and have never seen us get a win. Realistically I can't see us getting much this weekend either, but if ever we needed a game to help build some momentum it's this one.

No chance of Ings being ready I take it ?
I know the answer... moyes tried a new philosophy of trying a new mid block / possession based style football (although we never saw the possession bit). realised we can't actually play the way he wanted in his minds eye, half a season has passed with 18 points, and now we are probably going to go back to becoming a counter attacking side again.

That explains the form bit.