⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by This Fish »

One One. Points Shared. No nonsense. Handshakes all round.

Newcastle are really struggling to maintain the kind of pressure we start with, throughout the match. Third game in a row where we could have been 2 or 3 goals to the good before the half hour mark. Honestly think it's tiredness/jadedness. Definitely missed Bruno in the middle, and everyone up here was praising Rice who bossed the game. Had Bruno been playing we might have got more out of it. We're drawing so many games, but given where we were last season, and for the last 14, it'd be ridiculous to be upset at getting a point at home to West Ham.

Bit pissed off that Arsenal and Man City couldn't do their jobs and pile the pressure on Everton, and keep Spurs at arms length. But we are where we are.

Hope everyone who made it up had a good night and good luck for the rest of the season.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

DusseldorfHammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:10 am We are nealy at the stage now that the well-earned point after a good performance from our boys gets labelled as a given.

But hey ho.
Yeah, back to the aqueducts again :D
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

JLCABA wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:13 am Straws clutching at
While I’m on that subject was there not a case for a penalty Trippier on Paqueta
Paqueta wasn't offside as the ball was fli-cked on by a defending player.

Had it been an attacking player, then there would be a case for offside against Paqueta. I would have to check both the video stills and the rulebook on that one - if any Newcastle player is on or over the line then can Paqueta possibly be beyond him? The nearest part of the pitch is used for freekicks when an offence takes place out of bounds. So, if a player is off the pitch isn't he technically on the line, and therefore level with anyone else on the line or off the pitch? Level is onside.

But yes, in the event of offside, I would hope the ref or VAR would realise that Paqueta had been pushed into that offside position by illegal means, and therefore a penalty awarded.
Alas, with the refereeing leniency in this match and other PL games this weekend, I'm doubtful it would be awarded.
Instead of this scenario, which would be the just version:
Goal - disallowed for offside - attacker illegally pushed into the offside position (can't overturn the offside) - penalty awarded for the foul.
I would expect this scenario:
Goal - disallowed for offside - attacker illegally pushed into the offside position - wasn't enough in it to deem a foul - no penalty awarded - free kick to the defending team.

It's a weird situation where the consequence of a defender's foul is enough to get a goal by the attacking team disallowed but not enough to be deemed worthy of awarding a free kick for foul play.

Here's food for thought, if the first scenario did play out, would Trippier have received a straight red for DOGSO and making no attempt to play the ball?
Last edited by Crossd_Hammrs on Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

There have been small green shoots and then Saturday we had a little flower appear, much work to still do but things are certainly moving in the right direction.

A great point against a very good in form side. After the start I though "oh f***", as I am sure many of us did, but we grew into the game quickly until we decided we would take a point in the 2nd half. I can't really grumble at anything from Saturday.

Everyone played their part but a special mention for Dec & Aguerd, both top top performers.

Hopefully we continue on this upward trajectory and get away from trouble so we can concentrate on Europe.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 am it would have been checked anyway
all goals are checked

they would have seen that the corner was nodded on by Joelinton (I think) so, as you say, not offside and i don't even think he is in an offside position as probably lots of players standing on the goal line
Firstly, you cannot be offside from a corner. Secondly, if anyone touched the ball it was a Newcastle player.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I thought it came over to Paq via a touch from Oggy, but it was a big old scramble and, if our man was in an offside position, that's because Trippier was holding him there.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Thoroughly enjoyed the night out in Newcastle after the game. The hangover was up there with the worst I've had in a long time.

I might read through this thread later but my thoughts:
- Aguerd and Rice were magnificent.
- Emerson is finding form at LWB and has a good understanding with Benrahma.
- Coufal played well.
- Taking Benrahma and Paqueta off sort of killed what momentum we may have had in the game.
- Ogbonna was the weak link. I love the guy but the lack of pace is alarming. Both the goal and the Aguerd tackle came from Ogbonna losing his bearings a bit (admittedly it was a great pass from Gordon).
- The limbs for the equaliser were phenomenal.
- The famous atmosphere in St James' Park was non-existent.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:25 am Firstly, you cannot be offside from a corner. Secondly, if anyone touched the ball it was a Newcastle player.
Is this true? I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in but thought you could from a corner? You just basically never can be because there's defenders on the goal line
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:53 am Is this true? I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in but thought you could from a corner? You just basically never can be because there's defenders on the goal line
Not offside if directly receiving the ball from a throw in, goal kick, or corner kick is the rule.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-go ... ---offside
There is no offside offence if a player receives the ball directly from:
a goal kick
a throw-in
a corner kick
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am Not offside if directly receiving the ball from a throw in, goal kick, or corner kick is the rule.

It’s all the 2nd phase stuff that confuses me. I hear them on TV and still struggle with a lot of it.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

YorksHammer wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:58 am Not offside if directly receiving the ball from a throw in, goal kick, or corner kick is the rule.

Every day's a school day!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:53 am Is this true? I knew you couldn't be offside from a throw in but thought you could from a corner? You just basically never can be because there's defenders on the goal line
The ball is automatically deemed to be travelling backwards from the quadrant, which is notionally a point where the flag sits (but obviously can't be), so any attacker playing it is on-side.

However, if a attacker then plays the ball, and it goes to a team mate on the goal-line then he could be offside because the ball has to have gone forward to him.
This Fish

Post by This Fish »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:47 am Thoroughly enjoyed the night out in Newcastle after the game. The hangover was up there with the worst I've had in a long time.

I might read through this thread later but my thoughts:
- Aguerd and Rice were magnificent.
- Emerson is finding form at LWB and has a good understanding with Benrahma.
- Coufal played well.
- Taking Benrahma and Paqueta off sort of killed what momentum we may have had in the game.
- Ogbonna was the weak link. I love the guy but the lack of pace is alarming. Both the goal and the Aguerd tackle came from Ogbonna losing his bearings a bit (admittedly it was a great pass from Gordon).
- The limbs for the equaliser were phenomenal.
- The famous atmosphere in St James' Park was non-existent.
Think the side are a bit flat at the minute and that bleeds into the stands.

Funny how many away fans say this of wherever they've visited. Rare that anyone comes back from an away day in the league without criticising the home atmosphere. Think it's a problem with modern top flight football, to be honest.

Glad you had a good night out.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

There's virtually never any proper atmosphere in our stadium either. 2 or 3 times a season maybe.

It's just the way of modern football. Not to say that every game isn't important, but these sorts of games, where the result doesn't seem to directly impact either teams season, are always a bit nothingy atmosphere wise.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

you can only NOT be offside from a throw in (iirc)

only reason you "can't" be offside from a corner is generally speaking you can't be ahead of the ball as it's generally speaking placed on the end line. (technical I know)

offside rule is in effect that a player cannot be offside if he is behind the ball which generally speaking everyone is at a corner kick. then the other thing is that there are usually defenders between the attacking player and the goal. again generally speaking.

but iirc there isn't a rule like the throw in one about being offside but only due to the fact that players are behind the ball.

I might be wrong on that, but that was how it was explained when I took my refereeing exams, albeit that was a while ago.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

This Fish wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:48 pm Think the side are a bit flat at the minute and that bleeds into the stands.

Glad you had a good night out.
Top four in the league and heading to Wembley for a final and things are a "bit flat"?!
fjthegrey wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:51 pm There's virtually never any proper atmosphere in our stadium either. 2 or 3 times a season maybe.

It's just the way of modern football. Not to say that every game isn't important, but these sorts of games, where the result doesn't seem to directly impact either teams season, are always a bit nothingy atmosphere wise.
Certainly don't disagree, but all I heard midweek was how St James' Park was the loudest it's ever been and that everything was fantastic up in that neck of the woods.

Conversely, the away fans didn't stop singing all evening but chatting to some home fans in the bars and they reckon they couldn't hear us. :arry:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:39 pm The ball is automatically deemed to be travelling backwards from the quadrant, which is notionally a point where the flag sits (but obviously can't be), so any attacker playing it is on-side.

However, if a attacker then plays the ball, and it goes to a team mate on the goal-line then he could be offside because the ball has to have gone forward to him.
Direction the ball travels in is irrelevant. It's the position of the receiving / interfering player that matters. He has to be behind the ball or two defending players (at the moment it is played) to be onside.
It's a popular misconception that you cannot be offside if the ball is played backwards. You CAN be offside in such a situation.
You can also be offside receiving the ball in your own half, if you were in the opposition's half when it was played.

It is theoretically possible to be ahead of the ball at a corner kick, however it's written in the LotG that you cannot be offside directly from a corner.
This Fish

Post by This Fish »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm Top four in the league and heading to Wembley for a final and things are a "bit flat"?!

Certainly don't disagree, but all I heard midweek was how St James' Park was the loudest it's ever been and that everything was fantastic up in that neck of the woods.

Conversely, the away fans didn't stop singing all evening but chatting to some home fans in the bars and they reckon they couldn't hear us. :arry:
Last 5 league games we've seen 2 goals scored. The players look a little jaded and without Bruno in the middle we lose a bit of control and creativity in the centre. Longstaff and Joelinton are in good form, but they're not exactly magicians on the ball, like Bruno is. Without him, the threat from Almiron is minimised as well. That's all I meant by flat.

Your second bit is more because of the nature of the stadium. Away fans are posted up on Level 7, all your songs and chants go off into the city's skyline. In addition the noise from the home fans is lost by the time it gets all the way up them stairs to you.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:07 pm
Our lot werent that loud on TV but I'm not surprised by that, I was up there when we won up there at the start of last season the noise when Antonio scored the sealer was very loud but watched that back on TV the other day and you cant really hear us that much. Its a crap away end in terms of making yourself heard, shame everything else about that place is fantastic.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Good professional performance and we have clearly built on some good results in the last few weeks even if performances have continued to be dull and uninspiring.

Moyes will keep us up, I'm fairly confident of that, but it wont be pretty much like it hasnt been all season.