⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Billy Hunt »

Billbobtrev wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:36 am I still think man for man our squads just as good at theirs. Full backs apart . If Moyes goes for the win I'd fancy us to pull it off . The worry is he will set us up not to lose . And that's been our downfall since November 2021.
If that's the case with squad comparisons, and I'm inclined to agree with you, why the huge difference in form over the last 12 months ?

The full-backs, the managers, the (new) board backing the (new) manager, or something else ?

I have been up there a number of times and have never seen us get a win. Realistically I can't see us getting much this weekend either, but if ever we needed a game to help build some momentum it's this one.

No chance of Ings being ready I take it ?
Ethanadict
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 263 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Newcastle, Chelsea and Spurs.

At the start of the season I never would have thought this game would be the toughest of the three, but I definitely think it is now. I can see us getting something against both London clubs but Newcastle away is a big ask.

Their deservedly third in the league with an awesome home record. Maybe the EFL Cup will prove a distraction but I doubt it really - they've got a flow and confidence about them that in-form sides have.

And they've got Callum Wilson.

Who knows, if our defence is on form we might get a cheeky draw, either 0-0 or 1-1. Their defence is very good so ours will have to bring their A game as well to get any result here.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

Ethanadict wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:44 pm And they've got Callum Wilson.
… who hasn’t scored since 29 October so we all know what will happen :cried:
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Ethanadict wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:44 pm Their defence is very good so ours will have to bring their A game as well to get any result here.
I know some people don't hold much weight by stats like this, but based on xGA Newcastle should have only conceded 3 goals less than us this season.

They give opposition teams chances. Not a lot, granted, but they do.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

S-H wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:26 am It's tattooed on his scrotum.
Perhaps he uses it as a scarf then...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5670 likes
Total likes: 3085 likes

Post by MB »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:24 pm I know some people don't hold much weight by stats like this, but based on xGA Newcastle should have only conceded 3 goals less than us this season.

They give opposition teams chances. Not a lot, granted, but they do.
And then Pope saves them! His numbers are crazy this year.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Newcastle are basically lockdown West Ham.
This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by This Fish »

Geordie in peace,

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if you've already got some pub/parking advice already.

If you're driving up I'd recommend parking at the Metro Centre, it's literally on the A1, park in the Blue car park and get the little train across the river. It's free, CCTV-ed and there's all the usual food places you find in a shopping centre to stock up for the drive back. There's 100+ pubs within a mile of the ground and all of them are welcoming of away fans as long as you don't act like an ****hole. If you're coming by train there's 3 or 4 that Away fans tend to meet up in; the Mile Castle, the Victoria Comet, Liberty House and the Centurion, all right by the Station.

Personal favourites are the Forth Hotel and Town Wall, Tilleys, Rosies (now called Mr Alexanders but everyone still calls it Rosies), and the Strawberry. The last one will be packed on matchday because it's literally opposite the Gallowgate End, but if you get in early enough you might get a spot.

Beer advice aside, Eddie's got us playing some good football. Unbelievable miserly at the back, not conceded in the league since 6th November, not conceded at home in the league since 8th of October. We're properly leaning into the bad guy role. Shithousing and dabbling in the dark arts, Lascelles has already got 2 yellow cards as an unused sub for ****'s sake. Howe likes to stick with a winning team wherever he can, so it'll be a very familiar lineup. Although, with Bruno out it'll probably be ASM on the left with Joelinton Willock and Longstaff in the middle. Gordon could get the nod, but Howe's not been one to rush a new signing in so probably just a cameo from the bench.

Isak might be missing, depends on the concussion protocol and if Newcastle bother to follow it.

Honestly think you've more than enough to survive this season. Think you've been unlucky with injuries and the toll that European spots take on teams. I hope you do survive, my Grandad was a West Ham fan, he was born and raised around Leyton, Forest Gate, so I've always had a soft spot for you lot.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Great post This Fish :newthumb:

Fair play on mentioning the shithousery, you boys have got rather good at it sadly! Bournemouth supporting colleague says it comes from Howes 2nd in charge (forgotten his name), but obviously if Howe didn't like it he would stop it.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 627 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:11 pm it comes from Howes 2nd in charge (forgotten his name)
Jason Tindall? He is a Hammer by background, isn't he?
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

That's him Albie, according to colleague he is a nightmare on the touchline as he use to sit close to the managers at Bournemouth, proper muggy fooker. No idea on WH connection.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Jason Tindall is a big west ham fan

Son of Jimmy Tindall who set up Senrab FC and used to work for West Ham - so I expect Jason learnt a lot from him
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

This Fish wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:03 pm Shithousing and dabbling in the dark arts, Lascelles has already got 2 yellow cards as an unused sub for ****'s sake.
:crossed:

Nice one; needed that laugh today.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

For what it's worth, I would much rather Anthony Gordon start on Saturday than ASM!
mattyD
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 336 likes

Post by mattyD »

I just hope we play them at their own game with the dark arts and shithousery - we're way too nice most of the time.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Why can't the authorities do something about all this blatant cheating that is going on? It will make games better to watch.
NedN
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 613 likes

Post by NedN »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:38 pm Why can't the authorities do something about all this blatant cheating that is going on? It will make games better to watch.
Because if they start cracking down on it to the level they should, they’ll have to crack down on it at Pool, arse, city, and Man U, which will, to differing extents, hurt those teams’ game plans
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

I think we’ll win 2-1.

Mind you, I’ve been sniffing nitrous oxide all day, so.
Mr_incredible
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by Mr_incredible »

because most of it falls into a very grey area somewhere in between really smart experienced football, ie defender giving his opponent a little nudge, stand on his toes etc to bully and disrupt their game, protecting yourself as a footballer as an excuse to 'ride, jump over, get in front of.. then stop running to initiate contact'. Its a game at the end of the day and people (mostly winners) will always explore the small margins and gains. what is too far?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Mr_incredible wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:55 pm because most of it falls into a very grey area somewhere in between really smart experienced football, ie defender giving his opponent a little nudge, stand on his toes etc to bully and disrupt their game, protecting yourself as a footballer as an excuse to 'ride, jump over, get in front of.. then stop running to initiate contact'. Its a game at the end of the day and people (mostly winners) will always explore the small margins and gains. what is too far?
Yes exactly
All of it has been happening for years and years to a certain extent
When I played (albeit at a much lower level than Pro), we were always looking to 'bend the rules' and gain advantages via somewhat shady means - and that is when we were playing for not much more than a bus fair home!