⚽ Newcastle Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (4/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by kitthehammer »

are you deemed offside if you are off the pitch from a corner then run onto the pitch to receive the ball?
so if the corner when taken, the ball is touching the goal line but the player who receives it is off the pitch (either in or outside the goal)?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:25 am Firstly, you cannot be offside from a corner. Secondly, if anyone touched the ball it was a Newcastle player.
Well yeah, that is what I said!
It was nodded on by Joelinton

Someone definitely touched it between Rice and Paquetta
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:23 pm

It is theoretically possible to be ahead of the ball at a corner kick, however it's written in the LotG that you cannot be offside directly from a corner.
I am not sure it is possible to be ahead of the ball at a corner, as the ball is deemed to be on the goalline. However, this means that every attacking player is at least 'level' with the ball and therefore standing onside

(I think in theory!)

However, as you say, that is irrelevant as you can't be offside when the corner is taken as that is a specific law
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Have I missed the OV?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:37 pm Have I missed the OV?
I assume UTJ is waiting for it to be translated
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I would like the add for our visiting friend The Fish that Newcastle is definitely the best night out after an away game.

Liverpool and Manchester are decent, Leeds not too bad but the Geordies sure know how to have a good time. Spent many a night out up there, including a New Years, and always been very good value.
This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by This Fish »

Billydinho wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:41 pm I would like the add for our visiting friend The Fish that Newcastle is definitely the best night out after an away game.

Liverpool and Manchester are decent, Leeds not too bad but the Geordies sure know how to have a good time. Spent many a night out up there, including a New Years, and always been very good value.
Cheers, I'm proud of my home city. Not like 'Scouser' proud, where I'd lose my rag if you said owt bad about it, but proud nonetheless.

I think people have it in their heads that we're so far away it's not worth the hassle. But it's honestly a beautiful city, small enough to walk anywhere you need to be, 25 minutes from the coast, 25 minutes from the proper countryside. Stadium is right in the city centre, 100+ pubs in staggering distance. Good pubs as well, good food, loads of lasses who're very.... generous with their affection. Always tell people to stay overnight.

Shame there aren't direct flights from London City Airport. But, the train only takes 3hrs, direct flight from Heathrow takes an hour. Both can cost less than £100 return.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

This Fish wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm 100+ pubs in staggering distance. Good pubs as well, good food, loads of lasses who're very.... generous with their affection.
Confirmed.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

A mate of mine lived and worked in Newcastle for about a year. He reckons the ladies go out in pretty much their underwear, even in the middle of winter. They make them tough up there.
Last edited by Coops on Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Coops wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:19 pm A mate of mine lived and worked in Newcastle for about a year. He reckons the ladies go out in pretty much their underwear, even in the middle of winter. They make the tough up there.
Much flesh was seen.
This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by This Fish »

Coops wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:19 pm A mate of mine lived and worked in Newcastle for about a year. He reckons the ladies go out in pretty much their underwear, even in the middle of winter. They make the tough up there.
It's only underwear if it goes under something.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

This Fish wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:11 pm Cheers, I'm proud of my home city. Not like 'Scouser' proud, where I'd lose my rag if you said owt bad about it, but proud nonetheless.

I think people have it in their heads that we're so far away it's not worth the hassle. But it's honestly a beautiful city, small enough to walk anywhere you need to be, 25 minutes from the coast, 25 minutes from the proper countryside. Stadium is right in the city centre, 100+ pubs in staggering distance. Good pubs as well, good food, loads of lasses who're very.... generous with their affection. Always tell people to stay overnight.

Shame there aren't direct flights from London City Airport. But, the train only takes 3hrs, direct flight from Heathrow takes an hour. Both can cost less than £100 return.
As I've mentioned on here before I've got a mate, Battersea born and bred, who's been up in Geordie land for 30 years. He loves it up there. He says he would never move back down south.
He frequents the Corner House pub quite often, and I can confirm that that's a great boozer. :newthumb:
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

Honestly, my favorite part of the game is tackling. And we have to who are excellent at it.

CanberraHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by CanberraHammer »

WCpete wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:33 pm Honestly, my favorite part of the game is tackling. And we have to who are excellent at it.
Same here mate. Rice is for me the standout tackler, interceptor in the league at the moment. Before that it was Kante he was the absolute master of nicking the ball when the opponent least expected it. Turning over possession in those areas in front of the box are crucial to our counter attacking play.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

It's the little, steadying, touch he often selects immediately after the interception that makes him just that little bit different from others.

He's got the power to stretch his legs and go forward, but I am detecting him lifting his head, with the little touch, assessing his options.

He needs Paq and Fornals on the pitch alongside him.

They're on his wavelength.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

And I can get your station, when I need rejuvenation

Just watched the game back, easily the best we have played this season.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:34 pm And I can get your station, when I need rejuvenation

Any tactical notes for us to enjoy?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:34 pm And I can get your station, when I need rejuvenation

Since you seem to back on, what were your thoughts? Always good to hear from experienced viewers.
WoodvaleOne
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by WoodvaleOne »

FWIW there's a lot of love from the Geordies re. our support on Saturday. The best away support this season apparently.
Makes a change from petrol bombs I guess
HammerTime86
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by HammerTime86 »

My missus is a Geordie. Without wanting to sound like an idiot, there's generally a lot of really good folk up there.

Quay side... Walking the dog along the beach. I know I've only listed two things but as far as I'm concerned it's got everything.

Various in-laws have messaged to say that they thought we played well, have some excellent players and hope we kick on to safety.