Where are the points coming from?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Re: Where are the points coming from?

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Personally - I think we have a good chance of staying up but it's reliant on...

a) Ings making an impact
b) Our new signings to start finding their feet and showing us what we paid for
c) The likes of Bowen and Fornals to start hitting good form (I won't be convinced that's happening until they start doing it against the better teams)
d) Some luck in the 18 yard box
kenthammer
Has liked: 245 likes
Total likes: 395 likes

Post by kenthammer »

15 points from that lot and beaten finalists in the europa
CarltonColesLeftFoot
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 297 likes

Post by CarltonColesLeftFoot »

Lovejoy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:10 am I can’t believe some think we’re gonna get 40+ points from here on in. We look woeful week on week, out of us & Southampton who finish bottom. I think we’ll end up anywhere between 30-33.
It's so much easier to be negative and either pleasantly surprised or correct by the seasons end eh.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

S-H wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 am I think relegation is a very realistic scenario, more so than many are willing to admit I reckon.

Today is the first time I've gone through the remaining fixtures, and although the threat of relegation has been lurking in the background like a bad smell, I never really believed we were in true danger of dropping..

Bit of an eye opener, that's for sure.
I have accepted relegation since the Brentford game on 30th December, Happy New Year.
The Everton game gave me a slight lift, but I fear it has come at the wrong time, given our next three opponents. 3 losses or 2 losses and a draw (which are the most likely scenarios IMO) will see our heads drop again and the green shoots wither and die.
Our only hope is that 3 teams are worse than us.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 967 likes
Total likes: 946 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

CarltonColesLeftFoot wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:32 am It's so much easier to be negative and either pleasantly surprised or correct by the seasons end eh.
can only go off the form, like a credit report. Our form suggest we’re gonna be deep in the ****.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

I wouldn't like to say 'where' per se but more 'how'... that comes down to getting the basics right again, which we've seen in the last half a dozen games.

That starts at the back. 3 clean sheets in 4 games... 3 conceded in 5 games; if we continue that kind of form at the back then there is no question we will pick up points.

We've started to show we're getting the basics right in front of goal too in the last couple with an upturn in performances of Bowen and Antonio. We'll need more on that front from Benrahma, Ings, Scamacca and Cornet. Take 1 or 2 of those chances that come your way in a game and coupled with being tighter at the back and we'll be on a roll before we know it.

Basics = Points... and I believe once we are on that roll it almost doesn't matter who we play. We've proven over the last 2 1/2 years that when we are getting the basics right, we can get points against anyone.

We'll be looking up rather than over our shoulders quicker than we realise.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I expect us to achieve no fewer than 39 points, with a spread of

10 wins (5 more to go), and
9 draws (6 more of these).

I think that all 'top 7' teams will probably beat us, but that we will pick up the desired results from all other also-rans.

You have to account for the fact that, if we beat a relegation rival, we don't simply chalk up points that they don't get, we also damage (further) their g/d.

Games vs Forest, Southampton, Bournemouth and Leeds are going to be absolutely pivotal to our survival chances. 3 of these are at home. Bowen's scoring/shooting rates have spiked since the turn of the year.

I accept we could go down, but I still doubt it.
McKnightmare
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by McKnightmare »

I hate the fact that this is probably going to go down to the wire. Really hope we can pull off some surprise wins in February and March and make it all a little less tense!
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:43 am I wouldn't like to say 'where' per se but more 'how'... that comes down to getting the basics right again, which we've seen in the last half a dozen games.
We've yet to prove we can get these basics right against better teams. The next 4 games will tell us a lot.
OFT
Has liked: 2992 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

kenthammer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:27 am 15 points from that lot and beaten finalists in the europa
I only got 15 points too. :shock:
Edit Not taking into account any upturn in form that we clearly need and to a certain degree have started
GPW
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 87 likes

Post by GPW »

We've scored 17 goals in 20 league games. Only 2 teams have scored fewer. That has to change and Moyes has to figure out how to do that. He's too bloody negative and cautious. I fear that the pressure of the situation will make him even more cautious which will make it worse. The next 3 games are key. We might normally not have any reason to expect points from them but 3 defeats will almost certainly leave us in the bottom 3 (probably bottom) and that will be a mountain to climb.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

I’m pretty sure we’ll be fine. 36/37 points probably enough:

Newcastle (A) D
Chelsea (H) L
Tottenham (A) L
Nottingham Forest (H) W
Brighton (A) L
Aston Villa (H) W
Manchester City (A) L
Southampton (H) W
Fulham (A) D
Arsenal (H) D
Bournemouth (A) D
Liverpool (H) D
Crystal Palace (A) D
Manchester United (H) L
Brentford (A) D
Leeds (H) W
Leicester (A) D

We also have Newcastle at home to factor in but there’s 20. We’ll end up on around 44 points.
paulhs1
Has liked: 1736 likes
Total likes: 1482 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

With at least 7 other teams in the mix, 36 points should be more than sufficient this season.

We need roughly 18 points from 18 games or a point a game.

The stability of Aguerd and/or Ogbonna/Zouma at the back as well as a return of form for Bowen should see us finish on around 40-45 points and a mid table position.

We basically need to win 5-6 games.
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

S-H wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 am I think relegation is a very realistic scenario, more so than many are willing to admit I reckon.
Maybe the new breed. We longer in the tooth have seen it all before.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Newcastle (A) 0
Chelsea (H) 3
Tottenham (A) 1
Nottingham Forest (H) 3
Brighton (A) 0
Aston Villa (H) 3
Manchester City (A) 0
Southampton (H) 3
Fulham (A) 1
Arsenal (H) 0
Bournemouth (A) 1
Liverpool (H) 1
Crystal Palace (A) 1
Manchester United (H) 0
Brentford (A) 1
Leeds (H) 3
Leicester (A) 1

It is going to the wire I reckon
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

In typical West Ham fashion we'll probably lose games you'd expect us to win and vice-versa.

One thing I would say is the last three aren't too bad.

Brentford, Leeds and Leicester.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

8 points from 6 games: Newcastle, Chelsea, Spurs, Forest Brighton Villa is needed for me.
2 wins, 2 draws.

7 points from Man City, Saints, Fulham, Arsenal, Bournemouth, Liverpool.
2 wins, 1 Draw.

5 points from Palace, Man Utd, Brentford, Leeds and Leicester.
1 win, 2 Draws.

Would put us on 38 points and hopefully a cup final.
We need to pick up points against those around us.
Otherwise the bonus points we pick up against "better teams" is negated buy losses to our rivals.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

The average points needed for survival are 37 but that still means we need six wins and a draw or various other combos.

I think we'll get something from one of the next three.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I think a better question is can you see 3 sides that are worse than us? I have Bournemouth & Southampton. Everton are now a massive unknown but I'd expect the new manager bump to just about see them above us. I think we're bang in trouble.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 467 likes
Total likes: 352 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

GPW wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:05 pm We've scored 17 goals in 20 league games. Only 2 teams have scored fewer. That has to change and Moyes has to figure out how to do that. He's too bloody negative and cautious. I fear that the pressure of the situation will make him even more cautious which will make it worse. The next 3 games are key. We might normally not have any reason to expect points from them but 3 defeats will almost certainly leave us in the bottom 3 (probably bottom) and that will be a mountain to climb.
That really is an appalling return, but we recently bought a proven scorer to address that. However the inevitable happened...

Hopefully now Bowen seems to have found a bit of form again that can coincide with Ings and/or Scamacca contributing too.

Lose the next 3 and, whilst there's plenty of points left to play for, it would put us back in that losing mindset.

It's too late to have an effective change of manager now, unfortunately, Moyes has to turn this around