ULEZ

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4922 likes

Re: ULEZ

Post by -DL- »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:23 pm Has he? I'm presuming you mean the low traffic neighbourhoods which have been proven to not cause congestion

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ads-london
No they have not. That study showed that by blocking access to where they have the LTNs traffic has reduced in the LTNs.

They've not done it on the roads that the traffic has been pushed to. Back in 2020 a black cab from St Pancras International to UCLH West Moreland Street used to cost me between £8-£10. It now costs me £12-£14. There fares ain't changed, but the traffic along Euston Road and the surrounds, had. Since they put in the LTN.
mumbles87 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:07 pm Ok found

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/investors/funding-letters

Go to the funding letter from may 2020

h. The immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges, in accordance with the relevant legal powers and decision-making processes.
So it's the Tories fault and not a Mayoral decision, a decision his own spokesman said HE had made.

Okie dokie.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:35 pm No they have not. That study showed that by blocking access to where they have the LTNs traffic has reduced in the LTNs.

They've not done it on the roads that the traffic has been pushed to. Back in 2020 a black cab from St Pancras International to UCLH West Moreland Street used to cost me between £8-£10. It now costs me £12-£14. There fares ain't changed, but the traffic along Euston Road and the surrounds, had. Since they put in the LTN.

So it's the Tories fault and not a Mayoral decision, a decision his own spokesman said HE had made.

Okie dokie.
Khan wants credit for this , whilst it's not popular it's green. Its all a political game. Labour are a very green party (noise wise anyways) so if he gets this through a labour mayor did it .. pathetic I know

Then if the Tories get in and reverse it the Tories don't care about little Timmies lungs

Its a very sneaky political game when it being forced on Him anyways
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:07 pm Ok found

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/investors/funding-letters

Go to the funding letter from may 2020

h. The immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges, in accordance with the relevant legal powers and decision-making processes.
From the October 2020 one:
Maintains commitment to the decision made by the Mayor on 6 June
2018 to create a single larger ULEZ bounded by the North Circular and
South Circular Roads with the extension coming into effect as planned
on 25 October 2021.
From that it seems the expansion the Tories are being accused of was the earlier one that came from Khan himself. Given his recent actions over the further expansion I wouldn't trust anything the pouting little shitbag says.
It's funny how some are falling themselves to blame the Tories whilst simultaneously saying it's a great a idea...... :lol:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

delbert wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm From the October 2020 one:

From that it seems the expansion the Tories are being accused of was the earlier one that came from Khan himself. Given his recent actions over the further expansion I wouldn't trust anything the pouting little shitbag says.
It's funny how some are falling themselves to blame the Tories whilst simultaneously saying it's a great a idea...... :lol:
Not "blaming" just stating the facts of what's in the documents

If it is them then hats off because it's a fantastic idea. Just a year too early
delbert
Has liked: 719 likes
Total likes: 699 likes

Post by delbert »

mumbles87 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:23 pm Has he? I'm presuming you mean the low traffic neighbourhoods which have been proven to not cause congestion

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ads-london
You've quoted this study in the past, it doesn't get more credible over time. I mentioned Khan, and his predecessors:

Livingston rephasing traffic lights to deliberately increase congestion to encourage support for his congestion charge, and of course how can anyone forget his ridiculous self combusting road blocks laughingly called bendy buses.

Johnson and his ill thought out cycle super highways.

This little quim for everything else.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 1849 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Gents....is this not a rare situation where every party has a case to answer? Khan wants the scheme in place, the Transport Sec forced their hands on timing.

I don't see why any of them come out of this looking good.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:58 pm Gents....is this not a rare situation where every party has a case to answer? Khan wants the scheme in place, the Transport Sec forced their hands on timing.

I don't see why any of them come out of this looking good.
I've just been looking through those TfL letters - the A406/A305 expansion continuing was the caveat for funding by the looks of things - not this huge expansion that is going to affect not only people in London Boroughs, but those on the extremities in towns like Dartford, Brentwood, Ockendon, to name but a few - people whose daily lives are going to be affected as well as their livelihoods due to living on the border of London, yet getting no say on a charge that will mean them driving greater distances to get fuel, groceries, and the such like.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1867 likes
Total likes: 2489 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Wonder how much the car makers are funding environmental lobby groups that put pressure on governments to enforce laws that require people to buy new cars. I was led to believe that switching to diesel was the answer 20 years ago, wonder how we’ll be made to change up again in 2043.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by smuts »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:30 pm Wonder how much the car makers are funding environmental lobby groups that put pressure on governments to enforce laws that require people to buy new cars. I was led to believe that switching to diesel was the answer 20 years ago, wonder how we’ll be made to change up again in 2043.
Yep, everyone at my work was switching as they were meant to be cheaper, better for the environment and so on.

The car makers did millions like kippers.

The ULEZ expansion is nothing but a tax on the poor at the worst possible time. How long before suddenly anything with petrol in comes under the rules?

If only Kahn spent more time on sorting out the constant stabbings and crime getting worse thanks to the Met in crisis...
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

smuts wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:38 pm Yep, everyone at my work was switching as they were meant to be cheaper, better for the environment and so on.

The car makers did millions like kippers.

The ULEZ expansion is nothing but a tax on the poor at the worst possible time. How long before suddenly anything with petrol in comes under the rules?

If only Kahn spent more time on sorting out the constant stabbings and crime getting worse thanks to the Met in crisis...
Crime is up accross the entire country not just London. Its a UK problem (or a world problem) not a London specific problem
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by smuts »

He's still the Mayor and just like I bash the tories over spiralling crime if he wants the role he can cop his share of flak as well.
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 493 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

smuts wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:02 pm He's still the Mayor and just like I bash the tories over spiralling crime if he wants the role he can cop his share of flak as well.
Agreed. Though I reckon there are going to be a lot of massively disappointed people on here when Labour sweeps to power at the next election and the realisation starts to dawn that very little will improve for a very long time.

Meet the new Boss. Same as the old Boss.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:07 pm Agreed. Though I reckon there are going to be a lot of massively disappointed people on here when Labour sweeps to power at the next election and the realisation starts to dawn that very little will improve for a very long time.

Meet the new Boss. Same as the old Boss.
Even if things don't improve dramatically it's time to stop the level of corruptiong from the Tories. Simple as that.
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

https://ourworldindata.org/london-air-pollution
It's a money making scheme and a hatred of motorists.
London air hasn't been as clean as it is now since the 1700's.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3013 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:29 pm

My niece is having to get rid of a perfectly good Citroen C4 diesel on a 64 plate so she can drive to her job in a care home in Warley from South Ockendon.
Is this accurate?

Neither are in the Mayors boundaries, why does it affect them?

I'm intrigued.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Ralph Mellish wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:17 pm It's a money making scheme and a hatred of motorists.
Half right.

I don't think there is any hatred of motorists, but they clearly want to increase the usage of public transport.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm I've just been looking through those TfL letters - the A406/A305 expansion continuing was the caveat for funding by the looks of things - not this huge expansion that is going to affect not only people in London Boroughs, but those on the extremities in towns like Dartford, Brentwood, Ockendon, to name but a few - people whose daily lives are going to be affected as well as their livelihoods due to living on the border of London, yet getting no say on a charge that will mean them driving greater distances to get fuel, groceries, and the such like.
Only if we enter those London Boroughs though.

FWIW, you may have noticed I have changed my location to Zone 6, despite my TFL zone currently being a "false"9.

I'd be far happier to accept the ULEZ impacting on me were I to qualify for free travel at 60 as the London Boroughs residents do.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1667 likes
Total likes: 517 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Prob wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:51 pm Not being mean or funny but if your mum has walking\ other medical issues that limit her, she would surely qualify for a blue badge which means until 2027 there is no ULEZ charge. Then there are schemes that help those users own a new car.
Mum has a blue badge and it wouldn't make a difference.

Her Blue Badge was a real pain to apply for and it is tme to re-apply in March. I've told her what I need from here - photocopies of stuff, proof of her medical proceedures, names of dr's, dates of operations etc etc - and I'll do the online stuff.

She can't get the stuff I needed photocopied as nowhere near her does photocopies. my sisters and myself live outside London, we can't get this done for her.

Tonight she phoned me - she's not going to bother reapplyingas "I don't go out hardly at all anyway and it's all a bit of a faff for me to sort out."

Exactly what the council and the Mayor want.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:25 pm Is this accurate?

Neither are in the Mayors boundaries, why does it affect them?

I'm intrigued.
If you go down the B186 from Ockendon to Warley, you will enter The ULEZ at The Old White Horse at North Ockendon, (London Borough of Havering boundary) and exit it on the same B186 at the mini roundabout where the B186 meets St Mary's Lane at Cranham where you turn right to go towards West Horndon and the humpback bridge of death past the industrial estate.

Her alternative will be to go down A13 to A228 and go down A127 then pick up B186 from there, or carry on A228 and cut through Thorndon and go past the old Ford HQ to avoid it.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

the pink palermo wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:26 pm they clearly want to increase the usage of public transport.
What public transport? There is none in many of the areas of the expanded zone, especially on the outlying boundaries.