ULEZ

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Re: ULEZ

Post by sendô »

Who the mayor is is largely moot. If it wasn't Khaaaaaaaan it would have been someone else. It's what govenments do now. Ramp up taxes on things in the name of health/the environment that are merely a cover for extracting wealth from the lower classes.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 540 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

sendô wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:31 pm Who the mayor is is largely moot. If it wasn't Khaaaaaaaan it would have been someone else. It's what govenments do now. Ramp up taxes on things in the name of health/the environment that are merely a cover for extracting wealth from the lower classes.
Exactly. If they cared about the pollution that much they would just ban the cars altogether. Just another way to screw us over.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's not just London though is it.

Birmingham has a ULEZ zone, so does Oxford.

Bristol has HOV lanes.....
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:22 pm It's not just London though is it.

Scotland are doing some in some cities and their fines are proper. £50. That will actually deter people

London's is more a levy
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

It's fortunate aswell that the pollution in the air from areas outside of those ULEZ zones knows not to cross over the border.

It's a bit like in the good old days of smoking/non smoking areas in restaurants.
YGNB
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by YGNB »

I guarantee that if London did what Paris is doing - completely banning all cars of a certain age from entering there would be an even bigger uproar

Paris are banning petrol-engine cars made before January 2006, and all diesel-engine cars from before 2011 from early next year.

Paris are banning ALL ICE cars from Paris in 2030

London in contrast is only looking to ban ICE cars in central London in 2025, inner London in 2040 and outer London in 2050.

Khan has now asked central government for 110m to help people that live in the home counties trade in their cars. I'm sure they'll say yes as they've all kicked up such a fuss about the 95 year old woman with a 25 year old car that needs to drive into a London hospital twice per year
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

YGNB wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:30 pm I guarantee that if London did what Paris is doing - completely banning all cars of a certain age from entering there would be an even bigger uproar

Paris are banning petrol-engine cars made before January 2006, and all diesel-engine cars from before 2011 from early next year.

Paris are banning ALL ICE cars from Paris in 2030

London in contrast is only looking to ban ICE cars in central London in 2025, inner London in 2040 and outer London in 2050.

Khan has now asked central government for 110m to help people that live in the home counties trade in their cars. I'm sure they'll say yes as they've all kicked up such a fuss about the 95 year old woman with a 25 year old car that needs to drive into a London hospital twice per year
The Tories have announced their mayor of London candidate will remove ulez extension , interesting how ignoring medical reports aligns with net zerob

The 95 year old argument is so great isn't it

Seen people complain they will stop visiting relative graves because of it

Are they going every day???
YGNB

Post by YGNB »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:42 pm The Tories have announced their mayor of London candidate will remove ulez extension
:crylol: A year after it's come in and everyone's upgraded

I'm sure there will be around 20k voters that will still have an old car by then
Hammer1966
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

Cockneyboy311 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:17 pm Exactly. If they cared about the pollution that much they would just ban the cars altogether. Just another way to screw us over.
How would you feel about a total ban on cars in London? How well do you think a total ban would go down with the public? At which point between the current plan and a total ban do you think people would say 'fair enough, they are serious about pollution so I guess we better get behind the idea'...?

London is rammed with cars and it's not just the centre. I can't walk down the high street where I live on the outskirts of London, without breathing in noxious fumes day and night. And I've no cycle lanes or LTNs to blame either. Just cars. Mostly with one person sat in them looking as miserable as sin cos they are stuck in traffic they created. And electric cars might reduce the engine emissions but they won't solve that problem. So the majority of people who are able to will have to find an alternative. The privilege of driving a car as you know it today is coming to an end. Get used to it.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 949 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

sendô wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:25 pm It's fortunate aswell that the pollution in the air from areas outside of those ULEZ zones knows not to cross over the border.

It's a bit like in the good old days of smoking/non smoking areas in restaurants.
back of the bus was always the coolest spot to sit at.
delbert
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 701 likes

Post by delbert »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:50 pm How would you feel about a total ban on cars in London? How well do you think a total ban would go down with the public? At which point between the current plan and a total ban do you think people would say 'fair enough, they are serious about pollution so I guess we better get behind the idea'...?

London is rammed with cars and it's not just the centre. I can't walk down the high street where I live on the outskirts of London, without breathing in noxious fumes day and night. And I've no cycle lanes or LTNs to blame either. Just cars. Mostly with one person sat in them looking as miserable as sin cos they are stuck in traffic they created. And electric cars might reduce the engine emissions but they won't solve that problem. So the majority of people who are able to will have to find an alternative. The privilege of driving a car as you know it today is coming to an end. Get used to it.
It's not just cycle lanes and LTN's that cause congestion though mate, it's been years of reducing road space, restricting parking, using bus stops as barriers to stop motorists, introducing often unnecessary traffic lights, in fact all manner of schemes designed to make motoring just that bit more painful.
There's currently road space a plenty for everyone, if only it was managed correctly.......
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

delbert wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:15 pm It's not just cycle lanes and LTN's that cause congestion though mate, it's been years of reducing road space, restricting parking, using bus stops as barriers to stop motorists, introducing often unnecessary traffic lights, in fact all manner of schemes designed to make motoring just that bit more painful.
There's currently road space a plenty for everyone, if only it was managed correctly.......
We'll have to agree to differ on Cycle Lanes and LTNs causing traffic... I'm not convinved

In 1955 there were 3.5 million cars on the UK roads. In 2020 this exceeded 40 million for the first time. Despite an unbelievable amount being spent on motorways, bypasses, road widening etc traffic has never been worse. I really don't think poor road planning is the root cause here but I'm happy to read any studies that show it is.
YGNB

Post by YGNB »

LTNs are a funny thing. Some of the ones in Romford have been there since the 70's. Nobody bats an eyelid - I don't think think people consider them LTN's as they were there before the 'brandname'. If they were introduced today there's be protests and all sorts. The boomers on facebook would be having a field day
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

YGNB wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:32 pm LTNs are a funny thing. Some of the ones in Romford have been there since the 70's. Nobody bats an eyelid - I don't think think people consider them LTN's as they were there before the 'brandname'. If they were introduced today there's be protests and all sorts. The boomers on facebook would be having a field day
Bus lanes cause more traffic but they are important to get public transport moving to encourage use

Altho the one on the a406 is blooming annoying it used to be anyone use before 7am which going through at 6am perfect .. since covid it went all time and now we get the bottle neck back adding 10 mins to each trip

However the day time traffic is same as it was

Just a lot of cars on road .. need to encourage people off

I like the scrap scheme that offers a rail card on top of money that seems a good idea
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:22 pm It's not just London though is it.

Most of these places are dominated by the same sort of dopey thinking.

God knows how they imagine granny's getting her arse wiped in a 15 minute city where carers are supposed to get about like some throwback to Call The Midwife on a bicycle and hope some local riff raff don't pinch the bike.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm Most of these places are dominated by the same sort of dopey thinking.

God knows how they imagine granny's getting her arse wiped in a 15 minute city where carers are supposed to get about like some throwback to Call The Midwife on a bicycle and hope some local riff raff don't pinch the bike.
Sounds like you are struggling with the difference between reduction and eradication.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Hammer1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:24 pm Sounds like you are struggling with the difference between reduction and eradication.
That's some level on naivety on show there.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by Prob »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:42 pm The Tories have announced their mayor of London candidate will remove ulez extension , interesting how ignoring medical reports aligns with net zerob
And yet the Tory government has refused to block it, which they can do. As they have the power to veto it. National government is enforcing green zones on all areas across the uk.

Political grand standing to the extreme. Who will be the first to fall for it and believe the Tories?
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 205 likes

Post by Prob »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:13 pm Most of these places are dominated by the same sort of dopey thinking.

Do you actually believe in the 15 min city conspiracy theory? Seriously do you actually think it is a thing?

By the way the idea of 15 min cities are very conservative in thinking. So right wing conservative should be very supportive of them.
Hammer1966

Post by Hammer1966 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:50 pm That's some level on naivety on show there.
Well balanced by your level of cynicism to be fair.

I doubt we'll ever find out if I'm right as societies need to blindly suck on the sacred exhaust of the automobile still has a way to go. I wouldn't lose any sleep over the 15 min city. It won't happen in my lifetime. Not because it's not a good idea but because the cult of the car won't let it.