ULEZ

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

ULEZ

Post by -DL- »

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... nsion-2023

With the ULEZ expansion fast approaching, and some outer borough councils refusing TfL permission to install the infrastructure, will we actually get to see it implemented?

What are your thoughts on it?
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Re: ULEZ

Post by hammers92 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm What are your thoughts on it?
Agree with the sentiment but it’s the wrong time right now and penalises working people.
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

stupid, stupid idea. Daylight robbery, nothing else.
Jonah
Has liked: 635 likes
Total likes: 537 likes

Post by Jonah »

I personally (probably selfishly I admit) think its a good idea - just poorly implemented/timed - if I was a heavy driver of a non-compliant car though I'd be very pissed off and rightly so so agree with the protests.

I've already took the plunge though with the parents 2012 Qashqai DCi, got 3k PX at the Glynn Hopkin dealership for a 2 year old Juke. They are strapped for cash so I knew I'd be having to buy them one if/when this come in so may as well of got some money out of the old one while we could.
Last edited by Jonah on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 643 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Do these charges work in cutting down unnecessary car journeys and does the money help clean up the issue caused by traffic pollution? If yes then something like it is defint needed/welcome. But....

On its own it feels like a completely half arsed and badly timed policy. I don't believe anyone that says we can't wait 12-18 months to see if other financial pressures ease a little on people. And it should surely be hand in hand with some sort of scheme to help people get rid of older vehicles. Doesn't need to be extravagant or even aimed at moving people to electric.

Would also love to see the actual minutes from Khan/govts negotiations that led to this happening now. Both blaming each other for timing.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:11 pm https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... nsion-2023

With the ULEZ expansion fast approaching, and some outer borough councils refusing TfL permission to install the infrastructure, will we actually get to see it implemented?

What are your thoughts on it?
Unpopular but I'm all for it. Mainly because a lot against it are against due to not understanding it. They assume their car isn't fine when if it's a petrol after 2005 it is and a diesel after 2016 it is

So many people think my diesel is just because it's a diesel

It will improve air quality in the boroughs which I'm all for.

85% of cars registered in London are ulez compliant anyways .. 50% of people in central London don't own a car .. the numbers for inside of London add up it's those coming into London

It encourages greener cars , or to take public transport or walk more which is a good thing

Scotland is bringing in similar but it's a £50 fine there not a £12 fee so that's even more serious

Other cities round the world will follow suit

All for providing better future for kids
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

My biggest issue with it, is the lack of pubic transport outside of traditional working hours in the outer London boroughs. It's fine if you're more central or live along the main drags where you have night tubes and night buses, but those that are poorly paid, like cleaners, carers, etc that drive a non-compliant vehicle are the ones that are going to be hit. Try buying a 16 plate diesel or a 06 plate petrol model that's compliant with the huge demand that's going on for compliant vehicle, and the sudden spike in prices whilst on minimum wage or thereabouts.

My niece is having to get rid of a perfectly good Citroen C4 diesel on a 64 plate so she can drive to her job in a care home in Warley from South Ockendon.

An 8-9 year old car that is now obsolete.

It's a money making scheme, nothing more.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Ridiculous tax on those that can't afford to change their car at this time.

Could understand if it was for those driving into London but for residents living in London to move around is crazy.

It's the same as the roads that they make a car free zones, all that happens is you have more congestion in the alternative route.

It should be the long term plan to have people swap and have less polluting cars however this just punishes those that can't afford to change them plus we don't have the infrastructure if everyone actually swapped.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

As I understand it, when COVID happened, the TFL bail-out came with conditions - one of which was the extension of ULEZ. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Because my MP won't shut the f*** up about ULEZ.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Let's call it what it is - a tax on the working class. It'll of course be the poorer working men and women - those having to rely on older diesel vans - that'll be hardest hit here.

Yet it's done so with the excuse that it is those people who are causing pollution, simply by having to go to work and earn money to live.

Meanwhile, Heathrow airport will continue to exist.
r99c
Has liked: 682 likes
Total likes: 392 likes

Post by r99c »

Another WEF-inspired bit of absolute nonsense, much like a majority of other schemes which involve the phrases 'net zero' or 'carbon footprint' among others. Climate emergency my arsecrack.

+1 to the above post. Also inspired by a desire for councils to just make money from people who don't have too much in the first place, much like these CPZs (controlled parking zone) b*llocks.
Prob
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 192 likes

Post by Prob »

Pretty sure extending ULEZ was part of the government conditions to support TFL. But of course Tory MPs and councillors are making a big song and dance to pretend they care what the working person by pretending to be against it. If the Tories wanted to stop it they could.

Same as all those councils in London pretending they can do something to stop ULEZ by refusing to put the camera up. Yet the cameras have still gone up in those areas as councils have no power over this.

It is poorly timed, but something needs to be done to improve air quality. It is not a tax on the poor at all nor is it an attack on the car owner. Also as the person talks about CPZ. Money from ULEZ goes toward improving local transport networks. We need to stop only thinking about the car owner, car ownership is dropping.

Actually LEZ has been in for a good number of years now that already impacts vans driver who drive and own more polluting vans and lorries. That covers the same area as ULEZ
Last edited by Prob on Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1639 likes
Total likes: 507 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Here's a prime example.

My 86 YO mum, who lives in Canning Town, has walking issues and depended on her car to get shopping etc. Due to ULEZ her fairly old Honda is being prohibited BUT if she really wants to keep it, it would cost her £12 a day to use it in the ULEZ. That puls the fact that all parking permits are dealt with on line - and she has no idea how to use the internet and doesn't even have an internet connection - for her and visitors, it was unfeasable for her to use her car anymore.

She had no option but to scrap her car.

She can't afford a new car, has no family of note living near her, her friends have all been moved out due to the "regeneration" of the area. The Dial a ride service in Newham is totally woeful. Where she lives is almost full of new residents she doesn't know. She can't walk to the local shop as it's too far for her to walk and if she wants to go shopping, when she's able, she had to get a cab - £12 each way there and back.

My sister has to order an online shop fior her every two weeks - and that's not idea. Often my mum is without such basic staples as milk, break and eggs.

In addition, not being able to get out has made my mum semi agrophobic. She now dreads going out and only goes out if she has to. Basically she's become a hermit.

Now I understand and fully appreciate the green issues and support them, but absolutely no provision has been made for the elderly, non internet, infirm residents.

Oh and I tried Newham social services - as much use as a chockolate Tea pot.
Prob

Post by Prob »

Not being mean or funny but if your mum has walking\ other medical issues that limit her, she would surely qualify for a blue badge which means until 2027 there is no ULEZ charge. Then there are schemes that help those users own a new car.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Prob wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:26 pm Pretty sure extending ULEZ was part of the government conditions to support TFL.
Nope.

If that were the case, do you not think The Mayor would be fitting that little caveat in to any interview he gives about it?

He hasn't said a dicky bird.

Edited to add, from a Mayor Spokesman:

“The Mayor has been clear that it was not an easy decision to expand the ULEZ London-wide but a necessary one to reduce the capital’s toxic air pollution, tackle the climate emergency and cut congestion in our city".

Doesn't much sound like a Tory caveat to me.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -scrapped/
Prob

Post by Prob »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:53 pm Nope.

If that were the case, do you not think The Mayor would be fitting that little caveat in to any interview he gives about it?

A quick google gives us this
"Sources told the Evening Standard that TfL would be asked to raise at least £500 million a year on top of fares and continue with revenue generating schemes such as expanding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/ ... 21692.html

Given ULEZ was always going to happen as well as expanding it regardless if it was Labour or Tory in City Hall. Boris did kick the idea off. The current Mayor doesn't give a crap about outer London anyway, he knows he can still win on the bases of votes from inside the a406 and the fact the Tories are god awful.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Prob wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:02 pm A quick google gives us this
"Sources told the Evening Standard that TfL would be asked to raise at least £500 million a year on top of fares and continue with revenue generating schemes such as expanding the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ)."

But it never actually happened.

See my edit above. This was a Mayoral decision. Nobody else's.

Labour Mayor brings in an unpopular expansion, yet you still find a way to blame the Tories.

Hardly surprising really, considering what side of the political fence your on.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Ok found

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/investors/funding-letters

Go to the funding letter from may 2020

h. The immediate reintroduction of the London Congestion Charge, LEZ and ULEZ and urgently bring forward proposals to widen the scope and levels of these charges, in accordance with the relevant legal powers and decision-making processes.
delbert
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 698 likes

Post by delbert »

-DL- wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:53 pm Nope.

Edited to add, from a Mayor Spokesman:

“The Mayor has been clear that it was not an easy decision to expand the ULEZ London-wide but a necessary one to reduce the capital’s toxic air pollution, tackle the climate emergency and cut congestion in our city".

Doesn't much sound like a Tory caveat to me.

https://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/ ... -scrapped/
The congestion he and and predecessors have created..........
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

delbert wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:19 pm The congestion he and and predecessors have created..........
Has he? I'm presuming you mean the low traffic neighbourhoods which have been proven to not cause congestion

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ads-london