⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Chelsea (11/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham United v Chelsea : match thread

Post by Colours never run »

1895Hammer wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:23 pm Yes but without we’d have lunatics bring flares and all sorts into the ground……
They still do.
Fraser
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Re: West Ham United v Chelsea : match thread

Post by Fraser »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:29 pm They still do.
Yeah I think that was his point...
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by RichieRiv »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:15 pm Another reason to avoid this ****hole stadium duly noted.

Joke stadium.
You avoided the Boleyn Matthew. Moving to Stratford has just given you a more plausible excuse.

How many times have you been to the OS? Or is your picture of Pardew enough to get your fix?
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:56 pm You avoided the Boleyn Matthew. Moving to Stratford has just given you a more plausible excuse.

How many times have you been to the OS? Or is your picture of Pardew enough to get your fix?
You're a weird one mush.

Been once , it was **** and sterile.

As stated before, I was a season ticket at Upton Park before I jacked it in .
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Another game using boring negative tactics,I sat there totally bored for most of the game ,I had more fun watching the pigeons.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Pigeons were good!
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Oldun wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:07 pm Another game using boring negative tactics,I sat there totally bored for most of the game ,I had more fun watching the pigeons.
Even the pigeons knew where the ball was going. Not so much a telegraphed pass as a carrier pigeon one.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Oldun wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:07 pm Another game using boring negative tactics,I sat there totally bored for most of the game ,I had more fun watching the pigeons.
Shhhh that kind of comment is frowned upon here.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

hammerman11 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:13 pm Pigeons were good!
I thought they only played on the wing.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:14 pm Shhhh that kind of comment is frowned upon here.
Worse thing is that he will use the same boring tactics the next home game against Forest.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:04 pm You're a weird one mush.

And so were the majority of others who didnt jack it in. You not going is fair enough, your choice but perhaps it does is explain your general negativity. So I take it the only reason you went to games prior to 2016 was because if the ground and not the team or football? As I say fair enough but quite a bit of self sacrifice to make a point.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Matt I don’t get what you’re looking to get out of your posts.

You said you gave up going at Upton Park, gone to the pit of misery once and hated it, you seem really disenfranchised with the club.

Why not just stop watching on the telly?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

A agree to a point Oldun, particularly with the Downes sub which should have been Fornals to give us a more attacking threat.

But we were up against half a billion pound of some of the best young talent in the World. I quite enjoyed the game, thought it was competitive and each team had their periods of dominance, albeit theirs was longer than ours admittedly.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

They were David Golds unopened emails
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:13 pm A agree to a point Oldun, particularly with the Downes sub which should have been Fornals to give us a more attacking threat.

Agree should have been Fornals on for Benny at halftime, I don't know what makes me more mad Benny being Benny or Moyes for playing him on the left wing each game.

Benny cannot cross a ball with his left and the defenders KNOW he is going to have to cut back so they have him in their pocket all game.

I think he has had way too many chances already but Moyes for God sake man if you must play him play him in the middle or on the right
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Calling him weird is a bit ironic when all you do is come on this forum to tell everyone how **** it is at West Ham now and that you don't go, like anyone cares.

Especially on a match thread.
ageing hammer wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:29 pm
Agree should have been Fornals on for Benny at halftime, I don't know what makes me more mad Benny being Benny or Moyes for playing him on the left wing each game.

Benny cannot cross a ball with his left and the defenders KNOW he is going to have to cut back so they have him in their pocket all game.

I think he has had way too many chances already but Moyes for God sake man if you must play him play him in the middle or on the right
Fornals seems to be overlooked now. Which is weird because he's in general been pretty solid for us.

I think Benny is filling in for Cornet who would be starting every game if fit. The other thing is Moyes likes people to cut in and shoot like Bowen on the right but it doesn't happen that often so not sure why he preserves so much.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

Oldun wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:16 pm Worse thing is that he will use the same boring tactics the next home game against Forest.
As a matter of interest, what tactics would you have employed against Chelsea yesterday?
Genuine question.
Oldun

Post by Oldun »

mushy wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:08 pm As a matter of interest, what tactics would you have employed against Chelsea yesterday?
Genuine question.
Press higher and harder ,shorten up the distance between the defence and our lone striker,pressing all over the pitch rather than let them dictate the play.
Stop sitting back in second half’s of games defending for the whole half hoping to hang on to what we have got ,we even did it against Everton ,the worse team I had seen ,we went 2 up and sat back second half instead of pushing on for more goals.
And as I said he will use the same tactics against Forest ,he never looks to win but just not to lose,
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3084 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:48 pm

Some people want to see that because of their view on the manager mate.

I think there are also then some other contributory factors. The team that dominates the early passages usually leaves an ‘imprint’ of being the better side - even when it balances out later. There is then the presentation from the likes of MOTD, social media, Sky etc which are all consciously and deliberately skewed for a narrative - especially when the pig six + the anti human rights new money club to the party are involved.

In short, i don’t think the view from many is consciously skewed but the environment is.

Anyway, I thought we were atrocious first 15-20, but overall post game felt one half disappointed not to get three points and one half relieved not to have had some of our typical recent bad luck conspiring against us to end up losing.
Indeed. I don’t think everyone is doing it because they feel a need to constantly have a dig, but there are certain ones who have to tell you how bad it is, with outrageous hyperbole, who then find an excuse to ignore stats that prove them wrong.

It’s not even that I think xG is some deciding argument, really. I just think it shows it can’t have been that bad for us, considering we were marginally ahead on that metric.

Importantly, we are gonna lose more matches than we win if we keep starting so badly
Bond Holder 59
Has liked: 1163 likes
Total likes: 674 likes

Post by Bond Holder 59 »

I trust H11 and Doc are not scouts? Those pigeons were ferrel rock doves…same as Trafalgar Square….

They were playing deep in the pocket, where you keep your seed.

I feel a Mary Poppins song coming, with a very long football chant….supercalafragiledefenceandhardlyanyattacking …It’s the only word when you feel you’re feeling bl*&£y massive!

Tough night sorry. I’ll stop.
😞🫣