⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Chelsea (11/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by MB »

Well there is no xG for offside goals but they do count as bum clenching moments!

We had more shots in their area which will weight things and both sides were bad in the second half in the final third.

You don’t need the majority of the ball to be successful, but less than 30% is a bit more than “we let them knock it around at the back” IMO.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:14 pm Lovely to see "we were absolutely outplayed" throughout the game folks again missing that, for the most part, they did it in areas we absolutely didnt care that they were doing it in.

Again, ahead on xG, so even if you don't value it, we had to create something for that to happen.
Some people want to see that because of their view on the manager mate.

I think there are also then some other contributory factors. The team that dominates the early passages usually leaves an ‘imprint’ of being the better side - even when it balances out later. There is then the presentation from the likes of MOTD, social media, Sky etc which are all consciously and deliberately skewed for a narrative - especially when the pig six + the anti human rights new money club to the party are involved.

In short, i don’t think the view from many is consciously skewed but the environment is.

Anyway, I thought we were atrocious first 15-20, but overall post game felt one half disappointed not to get three points and one half relieved not to have had some of our typical recent bad luck conspiring against us to end up losing.
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1143 likes

Post by Diogenes »

MB wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:36 pm
You don’t need the majority of the ball to be successful, but less than 30% is a bit more than “we let them knock it around at the back” IMO.
I don't know that we let them, but heavens above most of the time they spent knocking it around in their own area. What's all that about? I am getting far too old for all that pixxing about.

And shock/horror did I dream it or did I really see Fabianski with a couple of quick throws to set an attack going? Nah, it was a dream.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:50 pm I don't know that we let them, but heavens above most of the time they spent knocking it around in their own area. What's all that about? I am getting far too old for all that pixxing about.

And shock/horror did I dream it or did I really see Fabianski with a couple of quick throws to set an attack going? Nah, it was a dream.
Nope you defo saw it…. I was as amazed as you
Fraser
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by Fraser »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:35 pm The need to have possession is an outdated myth from the past.

Even when we were performing well and beating teams like wolves 4-0 we had low possession and played on the counter

No use having more of the ball and not doing anything with it.

https://statsbomb.com/soccer-metrics/ex ... 20Goals%20(xG,scale%20between%200%20and%201.

It is why expected goals gives a far better indicator of performances than old stats which have proven time and time again to not reflect a game.
But that's the point we don't use the ball well at all when we have it.. So we'll need it more to make anything happen..
Noble's Claret Army
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Noble's Claret Army »

I thought the game was dead at 1 nil. Fair play to the players they all stood up and showed a bit of heart for the rest of the match, even with two key injuries. Kehrer and coufal especially brilliant to see good performances after being written off. A point was probably fair, I thought it was the best atmosphere in a long while as well. We need it like that for every home game to give the players a lift.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mumbles87 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:35 pm The need to have possession is an outdated myth from the past.

Even when we were performing well and beating teams like wolves 4-0 we had low possession and played on the counter

No use having more of the ball and not doing anything with it.

https://statsbomb.com/soccer-metrics/ex ... 20Goals%20(xG,scale%20between%200%20and%201.

It is why expected goals gives a far better indicator of performances than old stats which have proven time and time again to not reflect a game.
There is a strong correlation with possession and winning football matches. Always has, and always will be

Yes, there will be anomolies, and sometimes a team will emerge for whom not havving possession works for them over a short period time

However, the teams who win the most matches will consistently have more possession than the opposition

and, of course, there is a spectrum. having 40/60 possession and being effective is a lot different to 30/70 and trying to win football matches
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Re: West Ham United v Chelsea : match thread

Post by carnage »

Ozza wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:47 pm I mean I love this club and id come up with all sorts of **** to defend it….

But it was a pen all day long
Clearly hits his knee
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

sendô wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:00 am 12:30 kick offs are often flat. Its nothing to do with the stadium.
Plus Network Rail yet again deciding to schedule engineering works - how much ****ing work to they need to carry out?

The time it took me to get from home to the ground I could have flown to Malaga. It took a good 15 minutes to get off of the platform at West Ham and 20 minutes in the security queue, then another 15 minutes to get through the turnstiles. Then the prospect of doing that all in reverse, deflates even the most determined of supporters.

I wish the various supporters groups would focus on this.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Diogenes wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:50 pm I don't know that we let them, but heavens above most of the time they spent knocking it around in their own area. What's all that about? I am getting far too old for all that pixxing about.

Which is why I’d be anti having Potter here. That kind of football leaves me cold, especially when they were so good breaching our line with quicker moves early on (though we did adapt to stop that).

A lack of someone leading the line cost him at Brighton and £300m spent he has the same problem at Chelsea.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

tbf to Tommy, he said himself the ball hit is hand, but the laws are so open to interpretation who knows if it should have been a penalty or not
the important thing is we got the run of the green for once

Quote: "The Premier League has since explained why a penalty wasn't given, as the PGMOL - the officials group for all FA competitions - have claimed that because the hand that the ball struck was the 'the hand that broke the fall', a Soucek a spot-kick should not have been given"

it is one of those that if the on-field ref has given it, it would have stayed a penalty, but because he didn't it wasn't
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

carnage wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:20 pm Clearly hits his knee
Soucek said it hit his hand.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a VAR f*** up given what happened at their gaff.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:22 pm Plus Network Rail yet again deciding to schedule engineering works - how much ****ing work to they need to carry out?

The time it took me to get from home to the ground I could have flown to Malaga. It took a good 15 minutes to get off of the platform at West Ham and 20 minutes in the security queue, then another 15 minutes to get through the turnstiles. Then the prospect of doing that all in reverse, deflates even the most determined of supporters.

I guess you and I did a similar journey mate (I did West Horndon). Absolutely terrible yesterday like you say (rammed c2c / West Ham / security / turnstiles). I ended up taking a slow meander back along The Greenway to West Ham. Missed most of the first crowds, and wasn’t a bad little walk to be fair.

But yup, the journey in was horrendous.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Beavis Danzig wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:27 pm Soucek said it hit his hand.

Nothing wrong with enjoying a VAR **** up given what happened at their gaff.
Yea but hit his knee first.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Highlight of the day were those pigeons
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:56 pm Highlight of the day were those pigeons
Fearless, weren't they.
Chavs
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 762 likes

Post by Chavs »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:22 pm 20 minutes in the security queue and then another 15 minutes to get through the turnstiles

At no other ground in the country, is it as hard to get into a ground - its genuinely mental, every game home and away have I never come across anything like it, Southampton this year was a bit of a pain but our ground is on another level its a madness.

Not just to queue to get into the grounds, but then to also queue to ****ing access it.
Fraser
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by Fraser »

Chavs wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:59 pm At no other ground in the country, is it as hard to get into a ground - its genuinely mental, every game home and away have I never come across anything like it, Southampton this year was a bit of a pain but our ground is on another level its a madness.

Not just to queue to get into the grounds, but then to also queue to ****ing access it.
Ridiculous isn't it...
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Another reason to avoid this ****hole stadium duly noted.

Joke stadium.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1330 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Chavs wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:59 pm At no other ground in the country, is it as hard to get into a ground - its genuinely mental, every game home and away have I never come across anything like it, Southampton this year was a bit of a pain but our ground is on another level its a madness.

Yes but without we’d have lunatics bring flares and all sorts into the ground……