⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Chelsea (11/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by Ironing Board »

Heaven forbid Benrahma plays in the position he has played for his whole career. What is the manager thinking?!?
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

would it really have been that impossible for moyes to have kept antonio on the field and also brought ings on and have two strikers?
It's either the case that antonio can no longer manage 90 mins or our manager just refuses to play two strikers.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:29 am would it really have been that impossible for moyes to have kept antonio on the field and also brought ings on and have two strikers?
It's either the case that antonio can no longer manage 90 mins or our manager just refuses to play two strikers.
We did have 2 strikers, he went 352

Mickey cant last 90 mins (imho), and to be fair he put it about a fair bit on Saturday
Last edited by Ozza on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

sure you did but what about antonio ? :crylol:
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:34 am sure you did but what about antonio ? :crylol:
Haha…. :crylol:

Now edited, cheers H11
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I still would have preferred downes in the middle with paq and rice even before the injury. we had no possession and couldnt get near them. downes offers energy and bite. he maintains his position well.
antonio and bowen up front . benrahma was poor so we would not have missed him !

we need to get hold of the ball and not let teams have such an easy time in possession.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Yeah looks like 352 was the way to go, so make you right…

I think the issue for the manager was knowing what side they would put out with all of the new polayers they had in
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

Ozza wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:31 am We did have 2 strikers, he went 352

Mickey cant last 90 mins (imho), and to be fair he put it about a fair bit on Saturday
kind of my point, i thought antonio was causing them problems too.
kitthehammer

Post by kitthehammer »

we really need to improve our clearances out from the back. We are giving possession straight back to the opponents far too much.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Mullhull wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:00 pm Calling him weird is a bit ironic when all you do is come on this forum to tell everyone how **** it is at West Ham now and that you don't go, like anyone cares.
It's called deflection.

For 20 years Matthew has only ever graced us with his presence when things turn to rat ****. If West Ham is doing well, Matthew disappears, probably to think us some more Jackanory stories about being a Season Ticket holder in the Norf Bank and how moving to the LS was the final nail in the coffin for him.

:zzz:
Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by Diogenes »

kitthehammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:47 am we really need to improve our clearances out from the back. We are giving possession straight back to the opponents far too much.
And throw ins 😤
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 am And throw ins 😤
This - we lose possession from almost every throw we have.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Funny old game, after 20 minutes I thought Moyes/us was going to get our first proper spanking under him, we were just not at the races, lacked energy, some of our players looked like they had never seen a football before, Paq getting injured didn't help, but we were totally lost.

Picked up somewhat from there, then 2nd half I'm just not sure what I witnessed, was, I don't know, just lacked "something".

A point before the game I would have taken, and I am more than happy with a point at the final whistle and today, just felt a really weird game and I am just not sure what is going on.
mike1961
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by mike1961 »

This was another game that (for me) was ruined (to an extent) by VAR. If you have to repeatedly watch video footage for marginal offside decisions then you might as well give the attacker the benefit of the doubt and leave such decisions to the lineo - it all evens out in the end. I can see the case for VAR for goal line decisions, but nothing else (in my opinion).
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

mike1961 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:54 am This was another game that (for me) was ruined (to an extent) by VAR. If you have to repeatedly watch video footage for marginal offside decisions then you might as well give the attacker the benefit of the doubt and leave such decisions to the lineo - it all evens out in the end. I can see the case for VAR for goal line decisions, but nothing else (in my opinion).
It'll be different if/when this new system comes in. If like the goal-line tech it reduces everything to a graphic image, then it takes the controversy out of it. The image is clear, unbiased and instant.

It may or may not be actually correct, but no-one will really have grounds to argue as the human element is removed.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Yup the only way to get VAR right is to get rid of the human factor.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

mike1961 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:54 am This was another game that (for me) was ruined (to an extent) by VAR. If you have to repeatedly watch video footage for marginal offside decisions then you might as well give the attacker the benefit of the doubt and leave such decisions to the lineo - it all evens out in the end. I can see the case for VAR for goal line decisions, but nothing else (in my opinion).
I assume you're referencing the Soucek goal here. I really don't understand why it took them so long. It was clearly offside, it wasn't even close! Should have been sorted within 30 seconds. Tbh, the linesman should have probably seen it to begin with!
Paolopaul
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 301 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

VAR disallowing Souceks goal was the perfect use of the technology (albeit a bit slow in this case!) - a clear offside that was missed by the assistant referee. It’s a fact the goal should be disallowed.

For things like Souceks handball, I’m not so keen on VAR. The referee on the pitch saw the incident in real time and didn’t think it was handball, yet it gets officiated again in freeze frame slow motion which distorts the reality of what happened - for something that has a degree of opinion anyway. Again in this instance the officials did really well as the VAR ref didn’t feel the need to overrule the on pitch decision, but often it goes the other way.

I see Henry Winter has called the Soucek handball the worst VAR decision of the weekend, laughable when you see what happened with Arsenal and Brighton.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Paolopaul wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am I see Henry Winter has called the Soucek handball the worst VAR decision of the weekend
There's a reason The Times have rehired Martin Samuel.

Dear old 'enry has lost the plot.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:30 am I assume you're referencing the Soucek goal here. I really don't understand why it took them so long. It was clearly offside, it wasn't even close! Should have been sorted within 30 seconds. Tbh, the linesman should have probably seen it to begin with!
I can only assume they were weighing up whether the James push on Rice was enough to cause a problem.

Part of the reason he was offside is because James shoved him there.