⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Chelsea (11/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Chelsea: match thread

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

West Ham was there for the taking
Interesting quote from the opposition view...

It's like reading KUMB!
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

The reason the media think the VAR decision was so bad was because it went against Chelsea. Is it had been at the other end of the pitch there would have been barely a whisper. Maybe a smug quip from Lineker
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:24 pm I can only assume they were weighing up whether the James push on Rice was enough to cause a problem.

Part of the reason he was offside is because James shoved him there.
What would be the result if he deemed to have pushed him?
He was pushed before the ball was in play so can't be a pen surely?
Retake the free kick?

Sounds like a right nightmare to sort
Bubbles Fortuna

A few of those posts wouldn't look out of place here.

Interesting how when you want a manager gone, rightly or wrongly, the same arguments tend to be made.
"Same old, same old. Can only imagine Moyes is playing Antonio in the hope he hits some form for the CL. As it was another game where he gets no goal, no assist, and adds cannot stay onside to get us a goal. Bowen made their keeper make a good save, otherwise poor. Benrahma worked hard, otherwise poor. Emerson the best of them, we actually scored a goal. Sadly the shadow of Coufal did not do his job properly in following Felix's run. Toothless up front, but what else is new? Instead of bringing Fornals on and going for it, you swap Soucek in for Paqueta. Laughable. Second half was yet more torture through boredomball."
Opposition view, or KUMB?
Bubbles Fortuna

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:32 pm What would be the result if he deemed to have pushed him?
He was pushed before the ball was in play so can't be a pen surely?
Retake the free kick?

Sounds like a right nightmare to sort
I really don't know the rules on that, if James had punched Rice in the race before the ball is kicked he's still sent off right? Would it be a penalty or just a red and carry on?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Chelsea
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137772
Dieter Eckstein
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 283 likes

Post by Dieter Eckstein »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:57 am And throw ins 😤
This has been a big issue for a while. I'm not sure whether it's a case of our players not showing properly for the ball, but the amount of times the thrower looks for options, gets a bit frustrated, panics a bit, then launches one up the line in the vague direction of one of our players, is ridiculous. If I were an opposition manager, I'd be tempted to instruct my players to kick for touch in the corners.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:23 pm There's a reason The Times have rehired Martin Samuel.

Dear old 'enry has lost the plot.
Don’t think he ever had it. Has never been in touch with football, football fans or offered any actual intelligence or insight.

But he don’t half think highly of himself; not sure I can think of a journalist who would allow himself to be announced in those tv adverts like he was. Was left behind a long time ago.
WestSamToo
Has liked: 384 likes
Total likes: 314 likes

Post by WestSamToo »

Dieter Eckstein wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:38 pm This has been a big issue for a while. I'm not sure whether it's a case of our players not showing properly for the ball, but the amount of times the thrower looks for options, gets a bit frustrated, panics a bit, then launches one up the line in the vague direction of one of our players, is ridiculous. If I were an opposition manager, I'd be tempted to instruct my players to kick for touch in the corners.
Throw ins drive me up the wall. They must take at least 30 seconds each time and always end up with the opposition bearing down on our goal. :angryred:
London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

We need to hire this guy. As he says, if you lost the ball as regularly as we do from throw-ins in open play you would be subbed off.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... ession.%22
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

"If Potter caught you shagging his Mrs, he'd probably make you a nice cup of tea afterwards and pay for your cab home."
- Sexyfootball

:lol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Albie Beck wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:02 am This - we lose possession from almost every throw we have.
I still think our movement is crap. I'm not saying we don't move - we do - we just don't do it intelligently enough. This is apparent with various aspects of our game... when we take throw ins is obviously one. It's also apparent when we're struggling to progress the ball forward, and those times we end up playing it back to the keeper from an attacking position.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Chelsea fans fuming about VAR is comedic after the Cornet decision in September. Same clowns who would have said that Soucek should have been red carded for the trailing leg on Mendy. This is perhaps where decisions even themselves out?
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Het-Field wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:59 pm Chelsea fans fuming about VAR is comedic after the Cornet decision in September. Same clowns who would have said that Soucek should have been red carded for the trailing leg on Mendy. This is perhaps where decisions even themselves out?
To be honest I don't like the these decisions even themselves out business.
They don't for me.

They should be unhappy about the incident, as we were.

The momentum and belief we may have got from getting the last minute point away months ago may have helped when we lost to Everton.

I'd also say that they were subjectively denied a chance to score with a pen.
We were subjectively denied an actual goal. A tangible point.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

A more balanced OV from that lot than usual :shock:

They have been Pottered!
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:44 pm A more balanced OV from that lot than usual :shock:

They have been Pottered!
That's the feeling I got as well Clackers.

Mind you, there were still a few "We haven't won anything in the last five minutes and it's all due to bad decisions and the whole of the footballing World is against us" posts.

Boo-f***king-hoo!
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Paolopaul wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am I see Henry Winter has called the Soucek handball the worst VAR decision of the weekend,

I've been mentioning it for years...

He is probably in the worst 3 or 4 (national) football journalists out there.

His articulately argued points, crossed with the plum in his voice lets him get away with absolute murder. His judgement is shocking on players too...Also an arrogance that I don't like. But then again....I don't like any football journalists much tbh.... :crossed:

They have far too much self importance......and I like them getting pulled down a few pegs here and there...
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

davids cross wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:10 pm I've been mentioning it for years...

He is probably in the worst 3 or 4 (national) football journalists out there.

His articulately argued points, crossed with the plum in his voice lets him get away with absolute murder. His judgement is shocking on players too...Also an arrogance that I don't like. But then again....I don't like any football journalists much tbh.... :crossed:

They have far too much self importance......and I like them getting pulled down a few pegs here and there...
Cant stick him, is there a more arrogant journo out there?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

Ozza wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:12 pm Cant stick him, is there a more arrogant journo out there?
Nope Ozza......he makes my skin crawl..

:newthumb:
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Up the Junction wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:33 pm The opposition view: Chelsea
https://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=137772
My personal fav was the guy that said if VAR had checked it for longer he would be 50% certain it would have been given as a pen :crossed: