⚽ Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by S-H »

Imagine when we lose to Forest this weekend..
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

Scamacca, 2 keepers and an 18yr old on the bench. That weren’t ever going to get on.

Moyes decided what substitutes he was making and at what time regardless of what was happening on the pitch. (Bar an injury to fabianski)

Starting 11 set up to not lose and try and nick a goal.

I’m bored of his negativity
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:32 am Scamacca, 2 keepers and an 18yr old on the bench. That weren’t ever going to get on.

Moyes decided what substitutes he was making and at what time regardless of what was happening on the pitch. (Bar an injury to fabianski)

Starting 11 set up to not lose and try and nick a goal.

I’m bored of his negativity
The thing that made it worse is that we continued to play for a nil nil draw even when we were 2-0 down.
It wasn't a defeat as much as a surrender.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

My boss - one of them lot - said to me that it looked as if our lads were playing to get Moyes sacked.

In fact he said he thought Spurs were terrible, but that we were far worse.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

prophet:marginal wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:46 am My boss - one of them lot - said to me that it looked as if our lads were playing to get Moyes sacked.

In fact he said he thought Spurs were terrible, but that we were far worse.
It's difficult to judge how Spurs were because we didn't even give them a game. We just rolled over and let them tickle our tummies.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

obligatory reading by Jack..

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44514

Łukasz Fabiański (4)
West Ham’s first choice goalkeeper made a couple of handy saves and punches from corners in this match but it was his distribution and ability to deal with balls in behind the defence that caused problems on Sunday. In the first half, Fabiański generally refused to step off his line and sweep up these balls over the top. This improved in the second 45 but the keeper had such little confidence in these moments that when he came out to meet an aimless punt forward from Clement Lenglet, he launched his clearance straight up rather than away and was fortunate that Cristian Romero failed to control the loose ball.

something that loads of posters have been commenting on for quite awhile. his choice or the manager's ??

Angelo Ogbonna (4)
Despite displaying some of the crucial attributes required to play as the central-centre-back in a David Moyes team, Ogbonna’s mistakes have begun to stack up and he has been at fault for opposition chances and goals too often recently. The Italian was a big part of the faux-pas at Newcastle that left a gaping hole in the backline for Sean Longstaff to play Callum Wilson through for the opener in that game and the same happened on Sunday with Ben Davies scything in from the left flank and being found by a straight pass in behind from Pierre-Emile Højbjerg. Ogbonna was then outmuscled by Harry Kane to give up an easy second goal that put the game beyond West Ham.

love him to bits, but not the first time..he also got done my Toney in being pulled out of position which allowed Toney to ping the ball over the top for I forget who, but he ran by Cresswell and smashed it in.

he's really done at this level, I'm afraid to say. but if we want to play a five, what's our options ? Kehrer at CB and Johnson at RCB ? no thanks...
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Ogbonna has been a diamond in defence over many many years at West Ham. It's not his fault there are not enough defenders. He never sold Dawson with no replacement.

The major fault here is Moyes who has 70+ away matches at Top 6 PL clubs & never won. Plus the lack of funds from the Board in January.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Ogbonna has not been the same since his awful knee injury. It isn't his fault but he looks like he's running in quicksand, the dude is 34 years old. Thiago Silva, he ain't.

There's no doubt in my mind he drops out when Zouma is back for his obligatory handful of games before re-injury.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

It's not Oggy's lack of pace that cost us against Spurs, it was his lack of positioning. For the first goal he moves forward into no man's land to leave Kehrer one on one with davies. For the 2nd he allows Kane to get half a yard on him then doesnt foul him (yellow card) as Dawson would have. You suspect Zouma would not have made those errors, although why the experienced Oggy did is baffling. Our problems in a nutshell this season. Never the same defence available, conceding sloppy goals every match. Our defence against crosses is exceptional, ball through the middle, easy.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Similar analysis can be made of any goals conceded.

That back 5 was good enough to be part of a winning team against Spurs. Look no further than a lack of quality and quantity amongst the forwards for the defeat.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

irving boleyn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm Similar analysis can be made of any goals conceded.

That back 5 was good enough to be part of a winning team against Spurs. Look no further than a lack of quality and quantity amongst the forwards for the defeat.
Obviously if we scored more goals we'd have more points. But we don't generally keep clean sheets either. Defensive frailty saps confidence so we don;t take risks offensively. Vicious circle
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

irving boleyn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:32 pm Similar analysis can be made of any goals conceded.

the problem is creating chances for Bowen and Ings (who I would have played longer).

I can't remember anything other than the Bowen early shot which was a decent effort considering it wasn't an easy chance, and the other one that fell to Bowen when he raced past Romero was it, which Forster saved.

other than that I can't remember much of anything at all.

and then Moyes has to gall to say we're not creating chances, yet plays Downes who as much as I think he's a good player, isn't going to create anything to write home about. nor is Soucek other than half a chance here and there.

and there's Benni and Fornals on the bench. and the entire midfield in the second half about 15 yards behind the 2 forwards who weren't exactly parked on the opposition 18 yard box. bit like American football in that regard. if you have to go 100 yards every play (pretty much and speaking in general) you ain't going to score many touchdowns.

try to win the ball back further up the park and you increase your chances. probably, and it's a guess, but the American football team with the most turnovers are more likely to win a game than the team that doesn't. think that's why loads of teams these day in the PL and Europe in general, play the press. get the ball back closer to your opposition goal than yours, and you increase your chances of getting a goal. don't allow them time on the ball. some teams use a stop watch our players use a bloody calendar.

oh, that and passing the ball to someone wearing the same coloured shirt wouldn't go amiss.