⚽ Tottenham Hotspur 2-0 West Ham Utd (19/2/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Re: ⚽ Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

StevePottsGoalsReel wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:26 am SHAFT!
Right on
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:09 am Benny should have let Emerson take the free kick and should have at least hit the target from Bowen’s pullback as well.
Stop saying this nonsense
We were 2-0 down by then after creating pretty much f*** all
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Clacton-ammer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:24 am Agree that Pinky, I have seen a reset with relegation is what is required all over the place - I think that is the worst thing that could happen to a club like us now. Football has changed now for clubs like us and that are set up for PL football. Nothing can really change with us until the board go, until then, we need to stick in the PL and see what new owners can do when they come in.
In fairness, the same was said in 1996, with people saying a reset was required and others stating that the game had changed. On that occasion, we dodged the bullet, but roll on 7 years it was a reality. The game had moved on immeasurably and although it took 2 attempts, we managed it. Same again in 2011, albeit we didn't romp it.

So the argument that football has changed and we would spend years languishing in the 2nd tier historically has never actually been the case, despite football continually changing. One fact remains constant however, West Ham in a 2nd tier are a huge club with massive buying clout.

Not that I think a "reset' is required.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 364 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:26 am Problem is, the system was working before today. And Benny was poor when he came on. Couldn’t beat his man or even muster a shot on target.

Ings has to come in for me as Antonio just stands around these days.
I've not read through all the preceding pages, but what system was working before, when ?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

time to start two up front on saturday. drop antonio

we have to score goals

we have to have energy in the team

we have to have a go

if moyes wont change then sack him and go with noble and harry redknapp

we need to get at teams now. moyes thinks we are fine every game.

we have beaten brentford reserves in the cup;just. derby of league one, an awful everton team, drawn with a poor chelsea who southampton beat at the weekend by having a go at them. a draw against newcastle after their semi final match and who have just been beaten by liverpool.

in all those games bar derby we have little possession .

time to pass the thing and go for teams.

where is our fitness ? slow and knackered most of the time.

dont change and we are down
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

A very disappointing performance where a spirited and disciplined performance in the first half was followed by an all-too-familiar toothless second half one.

Soucek was superb in the first half, Bowen had three decent efforts or chances created but others didn't win their personal battles.

It amazes me how Benrahma can annoy me more in 20 minutes than the rest of them in 90. The bloke is Vaz Te - not really PL, but he'll be great in the championship.

If I'm being charitable, I would say that Spurs are likely to finish top 5 and they do win the majority of their home games but our away form in the league has been pitiful for a year now - 2 W, 4 D 13 L - and that's the biggest killer of all.

I do think our defensive shape is better so we shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water but the previously prolific front line - it was great for two years - looks dry as a bone.

Couldn't argue if the board dismissed Moyes now. There's still stuff to play for but we look cooked up front.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:13 am We have the 2nd oldest squad (just behind Fulham) and the oldest average starting 11 in the league. Poor investment has let our core team all reach 30 and as said this season (arguably last) was one too many for Antonio he just doesn't have it in him, it is no big shame he gave us some great years and performances.

A combination of buying in positions we don't need and just a terrible track record of making transfers work (how many strikers? ) has led us to this..

Relegation might just be what we need, a good reset from top (the top) to bottom.
Nothing personal, but I never understand this logic of getting relegated to have a reset. We should be comfortably safe just now and if we need a reset, do it in the PL.

There’s no way we are keeping any positive players if we go down. Players like Bowen, Fornals, Aguerd will all be gone for a fraction of their value. Paqueta and Scamacca will likely be sold for less than we paid and we will get nowhere near the “Bank of England” money that Moyes says will be required for Rice.

Yes, we will get a lot of money in for that lot just mentioned but we won’t have Sky money and won’t have 50k ST holders. We will be lucky to get 25k at home matches and will probably shut the upper tiers completely.

Relegation will be horrific and we will end up stuck with Sullivan for a long time.

Hindsight tells me that DM should have gone at the World Cup but we are where we are. The poor management at senior level at the club has laid the foundations for a catastrophic season like this to be possible and as usual, we are the ones who will suffer.

The PL is not the be all and end all however, when you’re stuck in a rented stadium that’ll effectively too big for your status as a club, you’ve got to ask why we moved. 2 good seasons out of 13 does not a decent team make.

Moyes is perfect for this board as they’re all reactive with not an ounce of proactive ability between them…
Last edited by Believer on Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

https://en.as.com/resultados/futbol/ing ... adisticas/

For those wanting to take a closer look
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Believer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:14 am Nothing personal, but I never understand this logic of getting relegated to have a reset.
Nothing personal taken.. I agree with the post I'd prefer to stay in the Prem (but agree the Championship is not the end, we've had some good years in the Championship and I've enjoyed them.) We have the second oldest squad, a terrible owner, a terrible ground and stubborn failing manager. We need to refresh all of it (and build a proper stadium but that is not going to happen.)

What league we do that in doesn't really matter to me (and I cannot see us surviving this season -- tbf to me I said this on here before a ball was even kicked -I saw this coming in August. )
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 662 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

The formation was very confusing at times.

Was Bowen meant to be up front with Antonio or playing behind him in a free role?

Was Soucek attacking from midfield supporting the front two or playing in front of a pedestrian back 3? What was Flynns role?

It all felt a little amateurish and made up on the day

Antonio was poor, but Bowen thought he was Grealish and instead of pushing closer to Antonio to support him, he thought he would do everything on his own. Rice played on the left wing quite often and that left gaps in the middle. Kherer is not a good centre back and if Zouma is fit I don't think he plays in a back three.

If we are going to play that system, we should have bought another centre back
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4275 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

We started the game with Bowen appearing to be positioned as a LW (more like left LCM with how negative we inevitably end up) and Downes as a RW (more like RCM).

So farfetched. Bowen being a left footer is immediately rendered far less dangerous when he has to shoot across his body. It cropped up a couple of times too when he had the ball. Downes has probably never played a forward pass in his life so what on earth was he doing there.

Honestly crazy stuff. The only reasoning I can come up with is he just wanted as many 'defenders' on the pitch as possible. Who cares about tactics.
Believer
Has liked: 1428 likes
Total likes: 764 likes

Post by Believer »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:18 am

tbf to me I said this on here before a ball was even kicked -I saw this coming in August. )
I had doubts about our transfer business in the summer as I didn’t believe that many of the signings were of Moyes choosing however, under no circumstances did I see what we’re currently witnessing unfolding.

Regardless of what any of us think of our transfer window, the squad at his disposal is far better than he is giving it credit for. The players would probably do a better job themselves without any managerial input, that is how bad it is.

As poor as we were 2nd part of last season, I thought the fresh input of new players would help us kick on but even taking the injuries into consideration, the performances from those available has been nothing short of abysmal.

I need to wash my mouth out but I’d take Benitez now as even he would try and be more attacking with this squad..
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

Laughable to think that Moyes told the players they played well. We bossed the first 15 minutes, but created just the one chance in the first minute. After that the worst spuds team I have seen in years took over and we just let them. Kane missed 2 chances he would usually put away, otherwise it would have been 4-0!
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Believer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:14 am Nothing personal, but
Unfortunately all very true.
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote edited.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Don't agree at all with all this relegation reset talk. The only reset you need to make is resetting the manager and then the Board for the long term. Only people like Sullivan etc would come out with **** like, well relegation gave us an opportunity to reset. No, it just gave you the convenient opportunity to hide behind why you ****ed up badly ie hiring such a clueless clown as Grant. We go down this time with this Stadium, it won't be a system reset, it'll be game over.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

The first half was a snoozefest. Bowen should maybe have scored in pretty much the first minute but apart from that, nada. From either side. But once Spurs got out of first gear and stepped up their game we were totally unable to deal with them. We are, apparently, the oldest squad in the PL and in the seconda half yesterday they looked it. Utterly abject. And on the evidence of that game relegation is not possible, it is a racing certainty.

There was absolutely zero creativity in that team yesterday. Moyes seems reluctant to play Foprnals and why the bloke is hanging around instead of agitating for an exit beats me. He was a Spanish international less than 12 months ago and needs to play in his proper position to resurrect his career. Which under the [present set up means getting the hell out. And as soon as possible.

Surely a highly paid bunch of ex professional footballers, masquerading as a coaching team, realise that if you don't score goals you've got problems. And if you aren't creating the opportunities to score-----not rocket science is it ?
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Believer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:14 am Nothing personal, but I never understand this logic of getting relegated to have a reset. We should be comfortably safe just now and if we need a reset, do it in the PL.

There’s no way we are keeping any positive players if we go down. Players like Bowen, Fornals, Aguerd will all be gone for a fraction of their value. Paqueta and Scamacca will likely be sold for less than we paid and we will get nowhere near the “Bank of England” money that Moyes says will be required for Rice.
Ye I agree with this.

Look at the squad we have now compared to the squad that got relegated in 2010. This squad is full of quality (Rice, Paqueta, Aguerd, Scammaca, Bowen - even if some of them can't stay fit long enough to get onto the pitch) but if we go down they'll be off and lord knows how long it will be before we see the likes of Paqueta in a West Ham shirt again.

We do need a reset. But whether we do it now or in the summer, we need to stay in the premier league and bring in someone who understands how to use the talent we've got.
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Harry Flipping Redknapp ??????????
JLCABA
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 157 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Perisic was a bit “ dirty “
Crouchend_Hammer
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:04 am time to start two up front on saturday. drop antonio

we have to score goals

we have to have energy in the team

we have to have a go
it doesn#t matter what formation we play, if the manager's narrative to the players is to keep it tight for as long as possible

this the main issue that is at the root of all our problems