Re: Desert Island Albums: The Storm

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Re: Desert Island Albums: Chapters 1-3 - 80s week

Post by Kludgehammer »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:08 am 4. Lard - The Last Temptation of Reid
More Jello. Lard was basically a collaboration between Jello Biafra and members of Ministry. Loved it.

That was close to making the list as well, though I don't think they ever got anywhere near the level of The Power of Lard
OFT
Has liked: 3236 likes
Total likes: 1851 likes

Re: Desert Island Albums: Chapters 1-4 - N-N-Nineties

Post by OFT »

neathiron wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:41 pm Extreme - III Sides To Every Story
:newthumb:
Would have been 6th on my list mate , great album
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2611 likes
Total likes: 938 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

1. Screamadelica - Primal Scream
The sheer joy all the way through this album in the form of funky beats, chilled grooves and infectious rhythms hit every spot for me and remains one of my favourite ever albums.

2. Pills Thrills And Bellyaches - Happy Mondays
Another album full of danceable grooves, jarring hooks and melodies with brilliantly nonsense lyrics …. I mean ‘Son, I’m 30, I only went with your mother coz she’s dirty!!’

3. Copper Blue - Sugar
Sometimes you just need loud music - this was my go-to album on a Friday night after work in the early 90s, and perfectly got me in the mood for the weekend.

4. Trainspotting OST
Not sure if soundtracks are allowed, but this doesn’t really sound like a soundtrack to me, some clear hit songs but also ones that are more obscure and one or two fillers. Born Slippy was also a Friday night tune, and got me on the dancefloor quite a bit.

5. OK Computer - Radiohead
It could have easily been ‘The Bends’ here but this album has been a bit of a stayer, and took longer to get into - the harder work doing that has made it more of a favourite. Also, ‘No Surprises’ was being played a lot in the hospital, when I first became a father after the birth of my son, who’s now 25!!

This was a lot harder than I thought - 3 Blur albums (Parklife, Blur and 13) could have got in there, and no room for a couple of REM albums (Out Of Time and Automatic). Bandwagonesque, His n’Hers, Charlatans, Nevermind, Bossanova, Loveless and Seamonsters also could, shoulda and woulda made it on a different day.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

PROPH

Can I get a ruling?

Sisters of Mercy - Some Girls Wander By Mistake (1992) - compilation of singles and EPs released between 1980-1983, prior to their 1985 long player debut

Beastie Boys - Some Old bull**** (1995) - compilation of a pair of EPs released in the early 80s, prior to their 1986 long player debut

Misfits - Static Age (1996) - the band's debut album, recorded in 1978 but not released in its entirety until 1996 as part of a box set (and until 1997 as a standalone product)

Felt wrong considering these albums for the decades in which the material was recorded because those albums simply didn't exist in the 70s/80s. I'd like to consider them here because they're albums from the 90s but the material within is all pre-1990.

What say ye, sir? :thup: or :thumbdn: ?
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Proph … a ruling on OST’s would be great too. If not allowed, I can spend a few delightful hours thinking about who leaves the bench as a last minute sub. :thup:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I was actually going to do a round of collections etc, but from different perspectives.

So, why not save those for that?

I think the approach from the start is the kind of record that you felt emblemised that decade, in terms of it being the best on offer from bands going at that time. That's not, I should add, to do down the idea of collections as important records. I got into Wire - and then hoovered up nearly every album they've ever made - because of a late 80's mid price compilation of theirs, on a new (indie-ish) label..
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

pablo jaye wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:27 pm Proph … a ruling on OST’s would be great too. If not allowed, I can spend a few delightful hours thinking about who leaves the bench as a last minute sub. :thup:
Yeah, I allowed them from 70s onwards iirc.
smuts
Has liked: 1534 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by smuts »

Depeche Mode Violator
U2 Achtung Baby
Radiohead Ok Computer
Nirvana Nevermind
Oasis Definitely Maybe

Had to leave out Blur (13 or "Blur"), Radiohead The Bends, Depeche Songs of Faith and Devotion and Pixies Bossanova.
Last edited by smuts on Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

westham,eggyandchips

Honourable mentions for-

Suede - Coming Up
Nirvana - Nevermind
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around
U2 - Achtung Baby
REM - Automatic For The People

This 90's lark has been tough.
westham,eggyandchips

....and I nearly forgot-

Paul Weller - Stanley Road
Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals
Kula Shaker - K
Depeche Mode - Violator
Pulp - Different Class
Hammerted
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by Hammerted »

Could've picked 20+ but settled for these.

Moon Safari - Air
August and Everything After - Counting Crows
Baduizm - Erykah Badu
Dummy - Portishead
OK Computer - Radiohead
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

One and done from the lost genius of British music Lee Mavers, any other band would give their eye-teeth for one or two of these gems during their whole career, Lee & the boys casually toss them out effortlessly packing them with some of the greatest melodies known to man. I could listen to this album forever.

The La's by The La's (1990)

In the spirit of the radio programme this is a deeply personal choice, transports me back to a time and place laden with emotion, some good memories and some bad, but this album encapsulates them better than any other. Not the best rock album or the best grunge album of the era, but one that hits home for me.

Siamese Dream by Smashing Pumpkins (1993)

It was this or Ultraworld by The Orb for the ambient spot, both helped me through my prolonged post-rave years early in the decade, and for someone with a deep, deep aversion to any concept album cobblers this had me making movies in my head for hours as the night turned into day, and still does. A masterpiece of the genre.

Chill Out by The KLF (1990)

Another emotionally loaded, memory stirring, fraught and very personal choice. This one's a beauty alright and I just can't imagine being on a desert island and never being able to hear this again, so it's on the list. What a voice.

Grace by Jeff Buckley (1994)

With so many automatic choices picked (mostly by Pablo J :) ) I'll go out on a limb here and get down and dirty with some good old white-trash bluegrass bad ass from the wrong side of the tracks Nashville, Tennessee wrestling with his demons over 12 tortured tracks.

I Feel Alright by Steve Earle (1996)
pablo jaye

Post by pablo jaye »

Juncs - as soon as I saw the cover of the Las album in your list, I thought ‘how did I forget that one?’ 🤣😉
Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Polaroid »

Bettie Serveert - Palomine

Come - Don't Ask Don't Tell

Dinosaur Jr.- Without A Sound

Swervedriver - Mezcal Head

Rollins Band - Weight

… And the nearly but not quites.

Seafood - Messenger In The Camp (Left out as technically a collection of previous single releases)
Mike Scott - Still Burning
Cell - Living Room
Echo And The Bunnymen - Evergreen
The Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion

Apologies to those that I'd not remembered (e.g. Sugar - Copper Blue :shocker: )
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

This week's pick of the pops... in reverse order, to add to the tension... :eyes: :ear:

5. Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)
They may be widely knocked and derided now but this was a debut album to match any other, a game changer, full of Pistols fury and rocking like Jagger.

4. The Las - The Las (1990)
The other Juncs has said it all above. A fleeting glimpse at brilliance (and contains the greatest three minutes of pop history in 'TSG').

3. Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (1998)
I was a few years late to the party on this but it was worth the wait. Jeff Mangum's magnum opus.

Mansun - Attack of the Grey Lantern (1997)
How could you not be impressed by a supporting cast including the Stripper Vicar, Dark Mavis and Egg Shaped Fred?

Inspiral Carpets - The Beast Inside (1991)
From the least revered of the Madchester squad, while 'TBI' wasn't the commercial success they'd hoped for it stands as their finest album.

Most honourable mentions to a huge supporting cast, but none more honourable than The Sundays - Reading, Writing & Arithmetic (1990), The Beloved - Happiness (1990), Ween - Chocolate and Cheese (1994), Green Day - Dookie (1994) and Embrace - the Good Will Out (1998).
Officer Dibble
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by Officer Dibble »

Not in any particular order, just albums I remember hearing that had that instant impact.

Image Just managed to find a vinyl copy, that wasn't extortionate, to replace my CD

Image Still looking for a vinyl copy that isn't an extortionate price to replace my CD.

WCpete
Has liked: 1496 likes
Total likes: 3197 likes

Post by WCpete »

OK Computer - Radiohead
Out of Time - REM
Fuzzy - Grant Lee Buffalo
Tom Waits - Bone Machine
Soundgarden - Superunknown
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1240 likes
Total likes: 1651 likes

Post by last.caress »

Right. Having cogitated, masticated and perambulated for days, I've finally decided upon the five 90s albums I'll be taking with me to my desert island.

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (1997)

Beastie Boys - Ill Communication (1994)

Pop Will Eat Itself - The Looks or the Lifestyle? (1992)

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Now I Got Worry (1996)

Moby - Animal Rights (1996)

These aren't my five favourites of the decade - in two cases they're not even my favourite albums by their respective artists from that decade - but they're all thereabouts, and they felt right for this exercise.

Missing out by the width of a fag paper went Nirvana's Nevermind (with which I was obsessed for about 18 months in the early 90s); PWEI's The Pop Will Eat Itself Cure for Sanity (probably my favourite album of the decade, taken in isolation); Check Your Head which I think I like better than Ill Communication although that changes from day to day; Danzig's Danzig II: Lucifuge; a pair of industrial slabs: Ministry's ΚΕΦΑΛΗΞΘ (Psalm 69) and Consolidated's Play More Music; the trip-hop twin titans of Dummy by Portishead and Pre-Millennium Tension by Tricky; rap classics Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan and Ice-T's O.G. Original Gangster; American Recordings by Johnny Cash; Odelay by Beck; and Dig Your Own Hole by The Chemical Brothers. Gutted to be leaving any of those behind.
Ralph Mellish
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Ralph Mellish »

A decade of dance music and Britpop. Not for me thanks.

Guns 'n' Roses - Use Your Illusion 1
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Stone Temple Pilots - Core
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Trouble - Manic Frustration