Southend United Winding Up Meeting (Non WHU)

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mickthekeeper
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Re: Southend United Winding Up Meeting (Non WHU)

Post by mickthekeeper »

psychoscoredthelot wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:59 am I went over there just before christmas - the place is in a shocking state and being run into the ground - its a massive redevolpment site - their ground sits on a lot of land

hope they get saved
That appears to be the crux of the article - they seem to be breaking ground on a new stadium later this year and are simply trying to tread water until they can finalise/sell Roots Hall.

Seems to be going pear shaped though
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

From what I've heard there owner is, allegedly, a horrible, dodgy man who's ****ed the club and local council endlessly. They never stood a chance these last few years.

Fingers crossed the phoenix club (Hopefully Southend City, now they are a City) can get them going again.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

mickthekeeper wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:16 pmThat appears to be the crux of the article - they seem to be breaking ground on a new stadium later this year and are simply trying to tread water until they can finalise/sell Roots Hall.
They've been talking about moving to a new stadium for many, many years. It's no closer to fruition now than it ever was.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Edit, posted before I saw UTJ's reply.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Alan Pardew's Dad wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:59 am I remember some good days out back in the days of Stan Collymore
Oh yeah, I read he was into that sort of stuff.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 3494 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Piece here from Chris Phillips on the state of the plans for Fossetts Farm:

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/233338 ... lans-held/
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Depending on the size of the debt and also who it's owed to, liquidation and reformation could be the unlikely answer. Look at Chester through to Hereford and numerous other clubs. They've all been through it.

They'd have to start again one division below Conference South which isn't really that bad.
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:25 am The club I was born closest to. Very sad.

My local club, too. My dad first took me when I was 7 years old in 1968. We beat Brentwood 10-1 in the FA Cup.1st round. Gary Moore scored 4 and Billy Best got 5.

My next game was the 2nd round and Southend beat Kings Lynn 9-0.

Not a bad first to visits to Roots Hall.

I trained after school with Soutbend 1974/75 but was never taken on.

Some great memories of Roots Hall - holding European Champions Liverpool to.a goalless draw in 1979 infront of a record attendance of 31,000.

I don't believe the Shrimpers will be wound up as there are a couple of hundred million pounds to be made redeveloping Roots Hall for housing.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

I am Legend wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:44 pm From what I've heard there owner is, allegedly, a horrible, dodgy man who's ****ed the club and local council endlessly. They never stood a chance these last few years.

Fingers crossed the phoenix club (Hopefully Southend City, now they are a City) can get them going again.
Sounds familiar about a dodgy owner 🤔
RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

The only time I've been to Roots Hall.was with my cousin who is a Blackpool fan. IAs soon as they clocked by accent they thought I was a ringer trying to take the their end! The rest of the gane was spent being very quiet and then getting the f*** out of their sharpish.

Another fun fact for you. Southend nearly went bust just after the First World War and were only saved because West Ham agreed to play an exhibition match and give them all the proceeds. You can remind the shrimpers who are anti West Hsm of this fact.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1070 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Scored the winner in a Southend Premier Cup final at Roots Hall once which was played before Southend first team were playing a league match, so was a pretty big crowd there. Went every year that West Ham played a preseason friendly as lived not far away, also went to loads of home league matches when WHU were away, Collymore was quality for them but my favourite player for the shrimpers at the time was Ricky Otto, proper technician!
Cornelius Beal
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Cornelius Beal »

From the Times on Saturday;

'The first phase ( of Fossetts Farm) new training pitches costing £2m, is almost complete.Work can then commence on the stadium and phase one of the apartment project. '
" Very significant sums will be released to the club, easing a £2m cashflow defecit" Tom Lawrence SUFC chief executive said.

The project plans to be a lucrative one for the developer, Citizen Housing, a joint venture between Lenorose Housing, fronted by Sourhend owner Ron Martin's son Jack and Allied Commercial Exporters, the UK vehicle of the Dellal family.

Jamie Forsyth co- editor of the fanzine All At Sea says, " Its a relationship of necessity now. But also very strange. On one hand we have got this investment in the development, with some hefty partners behind it and on the other we can't pay St John's Ambulance, for medical cover.'

Some employees have not been paid since November. Players and coaching staff are waiting for their January wages.

Good luck Shrimpers.
Westcliffspur
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Westcliffspur »

SiamHammer wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:27 am Scored the winner in a Southend Premier Cup final at Roots Hall once which was played before Southend first team were playing a league match, so was a pretty big crowd there. Went every year that West Ham played a preseason friendly as lived not far away, also went to loads of home league matches when WHU were away, Collymore was quality for them but my favourite player for the shrimpers at the time was Ricky Otto, proper technician!
Ricky Otto was a real star for Southend. I remember him ripping Millwall apart in their first game at the New Den. Southend won 1-4.

Ricky Otto, Brett Angel, and Andy Ansah was Southend's best forward line since the early 70s of Peter Spud Taylor, Billy Best, Gary Moore and Bill Garner.

My cousin's so Jack Bridge is the current star. Notts County are trying to buy him but Southend won't sell.
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Always had a soft spot for them since living on Canvey during my childhood.
Got swept along by the Collymore buzz and saw them a couple of times when he was on fire. I remember we were linked with Spencer Prior the centre half at one stage. Surprised to see him pop up on a TV feature this weekend, was it Football Focus? Currently Papua New Guinea's women's coach.
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

Seaside love and war. Terrace Edition.

Shttps://www.terraceedition.com/home-haute/love- ... pping?s=09
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Cornelius Beal wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:58 am

The project plans to be a lucrative one for the developer, Citizen Housing, a joint venture between Lenorose Housing, fronted by Sourhend owner Ron Martin's son Jack and Allied Commercial Exporters, the UK vehicle of the Dellal family.

You have got to be kidding.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

If only the supporters group who will be given a Golden share could find the £1.2m to pay the taxman and then raise the funds to keep the club afloat........
Cornelius Beal

Post by Cornelius Beal »

the pink palermo wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:51 pm You have got to be kidding.
Sadly yes PP.

It's why the Gregor Robertson piece for The Times says it will be hard for Southend fans to see the end of Martin, in one form or another.

What with our seemingly cheap sale of the Boleyn Ground ( and indeed or current arrangement) does make you think are all football property deals dodgy?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Up the Junction wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:48 pm They've been talking about moving to a new stadium for many, many years. It's no closer to fruition now than it ever was.
It's was going on before I moved out of Southend in 1999

Waitrose & the Sports Centre were built before then and the new stadium was mention way back then
Remo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Remo »

Westcliffspur wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:43 pm Gary Moore scored 4
Rumour has it, he's still got the blues