Weight Lifting

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Weight Lifting

Post by West Ham Matt »

Is anyone in to ?

I was a personal trainer for a few years and since I've been in to it for a good while now.

If you are, how do you train etc and what content do you consume ?

My top channels on YouTube would be

https://youtube.com/@AlexLeonidas

https://youtube.com/@Fazlifts

https://youtube.com/@GVS

https://youtube.com/@MassiveIron

https://youtube.com/@NaturalGallantBodybuilding

https://youtube.com/@naturalhypertrophy1925

All of them are natural bodybuilders/influences

I dont consume any content from roid heads other than Dorian Yates old blood and guts videos for pure inspiration :crylol:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Re: Weight Lifting

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I've started going back to the gym 3 times a week for weight sessions. No interest really in being a full blown body builder though... I'm just trying to put a bit of muscle back on after I've overdone it with the running over the last few years. I'm just doing full body workouts at the moment.

Best gains I ever made were over a decade ago when I used to follow the stronglifts program. I ended up having to have several months off though due to a shoulder impingement that I struggled to get rid of, and then never quite got back into it again after that.

I've no interest in being big and bulky anymore. At the age I'm at and looking forward, I'd rather be lean and athletic and not carrying too much weight. Just trying add a bit of definition and a few pounds.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

I ran 5x5 for a while, but became torso dominant and had lagging arms delts etc.

I too do a 3 x split as that's all I can get away with both time wise and recovery wise, what with being nearly 40 now.

I do a physical job too so I run the risk of messing myself up if I over do it.

But I love training, it is my proper release.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Post by Burnley Hammer »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:45 pm I ran 5x5 for a while, but became torso dominant and had lagging arms delts etc.

I too do a 3 x split as that's all I can get away with both time wise and recovery wise, what with being nearly 40 now.

I do a physical job too so I run the risk of messing myself up if I over do it.

But I love training, it is my proper release.
I'm still trying to incorporate 3 runs a week alongside it and also around 8km of daily walking. Might take me a few weeks to get used to doing all that. I've upped my calories a bit to try and balance it all.
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1875 likes
Total likes: 2492 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Stopped weights when I hit 40 and my body started to fall apart. When I packed it in, my bench was around 110kg and I could bash out sets of 40+ dips, and 15-20 pull ups. I started again this year (under a general "get back to vague fitness" banner) and am pressing around 70kg now. Can barely do any bodyweight exercises of any value, but I'm hopeful things might improve a bit as my CV comes back and my weight drops a bit.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

Good numbers !

I really think that strength is so important as you age. I plan to just "stay in the game" now , I play to lift until I'm dead .

Delay bone decay and muscle atrophy by lifting heavy weights :muscle:

Done 8 reps at 10kg round my waist (weigh 88kg myself) weighted pull ups yesterday. Should hit 10 next week
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:57 pm I'm still trying to incorporate 3 runs a week alongside it and also around 8km of daily walking. Might take me a few weeks to get used to doing all that. I've upped my calories a bit to try and balance it all.
Just do 2 x full body a week.

Can make great gains twice a week . Do one heavy and one volume session?
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:02 pm Good numbers !

I really think that strength is so important as you age. I plan to just "stay in the game" now , I play to lift until I'm dead .

Delay bone decay and muscle atrophy by lifting heavy weights :muscle:

Done 8 reps at 10kg round my waist (weigh 88kg myself) weighted pull ups yesterday. Should hit 10 next week
I was around 78Kg when I was hitting those numbers. I'm at least 4kg above that now, and will almost certainly never be that strong again, but any muscle mass is welcome now my half century's in sight. I'd definitely like to get back into proper bodyweight training - nothing feels quite like banging out big sets of dips & doing pushups on medicine balls.
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:10 pm Just do 2 x full body a week.

Can make great gains twice a week . Do one heavy and one volume session?
Usually do 1 heavy push compound exercise (eg bench press) and one heavy pull (eg barbell row). I'll then pad it out with a few accessory exercises focusing on volume rather than weight. I don't go too heavy with leg exercises as it affects my running too much. I tend to do a lot of hill running and walking so that gives the leg muscles a workout anyway. I'll give it a month and see how it goes. I'm not far off 47 but still like to think I'm young and invincible.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

I used to be mad into weights back in the early 90s. Trained four times a week, didn't drink at all and ate ultra healthy. I felt great. Stopped the intensity for a while when I took up Thai boxing and completely changed my routine. Went down to 9.5 stone and was probably the fittest I've ever been in my life. I could run three miles in 20mins, trained five times a week, two nights Thai boxing and 3 nights weights and cardio. Loved it.

Sadly now I'm a fat old sad sack.
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Is quite scary how fast you can transition from “effective athlete” to “useless salad-dodger”
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1582 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

I am in a 5/3/1 powerlifting program currently, lifting 3 times a week: two times squats and bench press, once deadlifts and militant squats. I started it last summer and still like it. I do not watch too much videos, I rather read stuff, like "Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training" or currently "5/3/1 Forever". I joined small gym in West Ham Memorial Ground, lifting iron exactly there is quite symbolic to me ;)
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

Militant squats? Sounds like the sort of places I’d imagine Junco Partner spent his formative years.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:08 pm I don't go too heavy with leg exercises as it affects my running too much.
I have tried to mix both but it was much too much for me, I felt constantly exhausted. Funny that I started lifting to make my runs less painful, and finally I stopped running at all for lifting :)
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:39 pm Militant squats? Sounds like the sort of places I’d imagine Junco Partner spent his formative years.
My bad, militant press, ofc :)
Burnley Hammer

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I used to love doing barbell squats back when I did them 5x5 3 times a week. Managed to work my way up to 130kg and it's the strongest I've ever felt. Just doing those full squats and seeing veins that you never knew existed bulging in your temples and neck, and the actual bar sagging a little. It gave you a feeling of awesomeness! My quads and glutes really grew. I still have an old pair of knee length shorts in my drawer. They're a little baggy when I put them on now - not in the waist but in the legs. Back then I couldn't even put them on as they were too tight. It felt like they were going to burst at the seams like the Incredible Hulk.

I'll never see those days again (sigh). If I tried doing squats now with that kind of weight, I think both my knees would collapse.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Igor_E7 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:42 pm My bad, militant press, ofc :)
I think you mean "military press"
dasnutnock3 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:23 pm Is quite scary how fast you can transition from “effective athlete” to “useless salad-dodger”
Ain't that the truth!
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

I dont know what Im doing! :eyes:

Yes, military press, thanks! :)
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:47 pm If I tried doing squats now with that kind of weight, I think both my knees would collapse.
Well, you know how it works, adaptations of small steps, right? :)
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington

Post by West Ham Matt »

Never too old to get back under serious weight.

Progressive overload doesn't know your age :muscle: