Weight Lifting

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Re: Weight Lifting

Post by West Ham Matt »

Igor_E7 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:32 pm I'd consult physio if I were in your situation, so far I go without any physical problems, but possibility of any kind of injury while lifting heavy things scares me a bit to be honest
Yep. This is why I recommend that exercise are changed every 2 month to stop repetitive usage injuries.

And also adjusting rep ranges to manage joint fatigue etc.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Igor_E7 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:29 pm sorry to hear that, I saw few websites with some advices how to deal with it when weightlifting, hope you will find what works for you
Running appears to be aggravating it at the moment so I may switch to indoor cycling for a few weeks until I know for sure what the issue is. I may also cut the exercises that are heavy on the core muscles at the gym... eg squat and deadlifts, and stop any other specific core exercises. I'll book a docs appointment tomorrow
matthewbd
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by matthewbd »

Seem to hit a bit of an issue - struggling with getting the weights actually up for my incline dumbbell press and shoulder press!!

Once the weights are up, I can lift them, it's just I'm really struggling getting them in to the right position in the first place, only now a problem as I'm progressing up the weights.

Any advice?

Tried lifting them with my knee but can't seem to get the rhythm right and struggle!
Igor_E7
Has liked: 1583 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Igor_E7 »

I have not lot of experience and can't give you any good tips except maybe change to barbell is an option so you are getting weight from a rack which is much simpler I guess?
matthewbd

Post by matthewbd »

Guess that makes sense actually!! I just prefer dumbbells so my dominant side doesn't "take over".

Might give it a go though, cheers!!
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

matthewbd wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:16 am Seem to hit a bit of an issue - struggling with getting the weights actually up for my incline dumbbell press and shoulder press!!

Once the weights are up, I can lift them, it's just I'm really struggling getting them in to the right position in the first place, only now a problem as I'm progressing up the weights.

Any advice?

Tried lifting them with my knee but can't seem to get the rhythm right and struggle!
Get a spotter to load the weights.

What's your goal in the gym ?
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1677 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

Maybe try incline press on a smiths machine first to get some strength back up?
matthewbd

Post by matthewbd »

West Ham Matt wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:00 pm Get a spotter to load the weights.

What's your goal in the gym ?
It's a fairly quiet gym most of the time unfortunately.

No end goal as such, just working on progressive overload to see where it gets me.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

matthewbd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm It's a fairly quiet gym most of the time unfortunately.
Unfortunately? I'd give a lot to find such a place ;-)
r99c
Has liked: 707 likes
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by r99c »

matthewbd wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:36 pm It's a fairly quiet gym most of the time unfortunately.

No end goal as such, just working on progressive overload to see where it gets me.
Sit up right with dumbbells perpendicular to your thighs, put them literally just above the knee. Kick your knees up, press dumbbells and lie back down on the bench at same time, this force from your knees will help get the dumbbells into position ready to start pressing. Rather than literally lying back down and damaging your shoulders by trying to get them to starting position from there.

Easier to do harder to explain!
WHU Independent

Due to excessive gardening this week, I'm having a week off training. I'm basically knackered after doing 2-3 hours per day back-breaking work prunning, lifting, cutting down, planting and moving stuff. I also looked at my schedule this week and it was clear I'd have to fit training in and rush it, which I am loathe to do. I haven't had a week off after training 4 days a week for a few months, so I think I deserve it. I've also managed to stay off the beer until tonight, which is decent by my standards :)
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Well done Indie!

I too had a 1 and half week of break from my program regime, and this gave me an opportunity to acknowledge how quickly the form drop down. During this week and half I even visited gym for few times (but haven't done my regular lifts), after that time it was extremely hard to start in the same place where I paused, for a while I even though I am going to stop and start from beginning, luckily I overcome the weakness and feel the power again. Good lesson though!
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Long time KUMB lifters!

Second week in a row I am hyperactive doing gym 6 times a week and 7th day for a few kms of running. So far so good, I do not feel exhausted, I think I regenerate fine, I am just a bit worry if I am not trapped in a some kind of addiction? I think I have a genetical tendency to addictions. Is it OK as long as I feel physically fine to be at gym 6 days per week or maybe I should force myself to have break days?
WHU Independent

Igor_E7 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:49 pm Long time KUMB lifters!

Second week in a row I am hyperactive doing gym 6 times a week and 7th day for a few kms of running. So far so good, I do not feel exhausted, I think I regenerate fine, I am just a bit worry if I am not trapped in a some kind of addiction? I think I have a genetical tendency to addictions. Is it OK as long as I feel physically fine to be at gym 6 days per week or maybe I should force myself to have break days?
The short answer is yes. All athletes in all realms of sports have rest days. You really need to let your body recover.

If you must do something on your "off" days do some stretching/mobility exercises for an hours. That will give you the "exercise high" that you want and will also appease your need to exercise.

I wish I knew back then what I know now - fitness is nothing without mobility amd stretching. In fact the more mobile and subtle you are, the better your fitness will become. It's also a great defence against injury.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Makes sense, actually I previously thought about dedicating day or two just for mobility but completely forgot to make it happen, good reminder, thank you Indy!
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

Got into it late in life - mid-30s maybe. Felt like a bit of a plum at first - doing deadlifts with tiny weights on the bar etc - but really got into it and felt so many benefits. Had issues with back pain for ages that pretty much disappeared. Regret not starting sooner.

I mix weight lifting with a fair bit of cardio - mostly HIIT classes. Often the only bloke there, always the oldest (46) but am definitely past the self-conscious phase.

No real aim as such. I just like having an hour or two to myself - stick LBC on and get stuck in. As an older dad, I want to stay mobile and fit for as long as possible, still be able to play football, cycle and run with my son, and just keep weight down and feel good.

Aim for the year was to do 170 visits to the gym. Annoyingly, I broke my wrist in the middle of May and had to have surgery and get a metal plate stuck in my arm. On track for 150 now which I'd be pretty proud of given how long I was out for. :muscle:
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

EugeneSpeed wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:55 am Got into it late in life - mid-30s maybe. Felt like a bit of a plum at first - doing deadlifts with tiny weights on the bar etc - but really got into it and felt so many benefits. Had issues with back pain for ages that pretty much disappeared. Regret not starting sooner.
I've been pottering around with weights for 18 months or so.. however recently I ditched my super busy local gym and use the one at work.

I am often in there on my own and can follow a program (such as it is) without fear of judgement from the youngsters (I am an oldie at my work place.) The routine is the important bit.. before I just used machines that were free, now I have a plan of what I am going to do (it is a basic one and more advanced gym goers will laugh at it but it works for me)

I am not going to win any competitions (nor am I trying to) but I've got Squats and Deadlift to (almost) 1.5 times my body weight and bench press to just over 1 times. For me at 45 with a dodgy shoulder I am pleased with that.

I have put on a bit of muscle, can run a moderately decent 5 and 10km but more importantly I really enjoy it and often have to 'force' myself to have a day or two off.
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

wolf359 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:36 am I am not going to win any competitions (nor am I trying to) but I've got Squats and Deadlift to (almost) 1.5 times my body weight and bench press to just over 1 times. For me at 45 with a dodgy shoulder I am pleased with that.
Blimey - that's decent! Especially the press. I'm doing lighter than that - for deadlift I'll do body weight + 20kg, but 10x3. I'm similar - not too bothered about hitting a PB. I'm more motivated by how many times I can do it in a week/month/year. But like you, I also caught the bug. It's not a chore - I do actually enjoy going.

There is a guy at my place who I saw deadlifting 170kg, 5 reps. And he's 72. That's a decent bit of motivation.
wolf359
Has liked: 1591 likes
Total likes: 1740 likes

Post by wolf359 »

EugeneSpeed wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:46 am There is a guy at my place who I saw deadlifting 170kg, 5 reps. And he's 72. That's a decent bit of motivation.
That is impressive, very.. My work gym has mainly late teens and 20 somethings who at that age look at some weights and double in size (a lot don't drink and look after themselves.. one or two might also have dabbled in other stuff) but there are some big units.

They have a deadlifting compo on a Friday but the old fella might give them a run for their money.
Igor_E7

Post by Igor_E7 »

Well done Eugene and wolf, I see we are all quite similar according to the age band and intensity of lifting, it's a high time to open our own West Ham Barbell club really! :-) Last Sat I have been in my local gym late evening (normally I do my stuff early mornings), Jesus ****ing Christ! I could not recognise the place! I mean, the atmosphere, the level of testosteron and gangs of puffed young lads impressing each other. Never ever I repeat that mistake.

About deads: I preferred squats over them previously, but from some time it's my best day in a week. As you I do not prepare myself for any kind of official meets, I just love that feeling when my legs start shaking a bit under the pressure of heavy bar. Much better than having sex, I swear! (Or possibly I just do not remember how it feels, the later one, hah).