⚽ FAC5: Manchester Utd 3-1 West Ham Utd

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by smuts »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:34 am I was watching with 2 neutrals last night and we all noticed how biased, almost desperate, Lee Dixon was, towards the home team.

Even with Man U's opener, which was ruled offside, he was gagging for VAR to confirm it as a fair goal.

It's almost as if the commentators think that, if neutrals are watching a match, they are going to root for the bigger of the two teams...
Lee Dixon is giving Alan Smith a run for his money as most boring top 6 biased gooner pundit.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:34 am I was watching with 2 neutrals last night and we all noticed how biased, almost desperate, Lee Dixon was, towards the home team.

Even with Man U's opener, which was ruled offside, he was gagging for VAR to confirm it as a fair goal.

It's almost as if the commentators think that, if neutrals are watching a match, they are going to root for the bigger of the two teams...
Switched TV on 1 minute before Kick off, No sound, watched game, listened to EUMB, turned TV off at final whistle.

If I'm having bias I'll have it our way.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:59 am

Some similarities also in the league away at Chelsea (one up), Man U and Liverpool.

Really have to disagree. Against Chelsea we were denied a perfectly good equaliser by a wrong VAR call (confimed by authorities). At Liverpool and ManU we got stronger as the game went on and finished with the opposition clinging on. Particularly at ManU when Ten Haag was making defensive subs with 25 left. The thing that was similar was failing to put the ball in the net
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

goa127 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:34 am . The thing that was similar was failing to put the ball in the net
:newthumb:
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

smuts wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:13 am Lee Dixon is giving Alan Smith a run for his money as most boring top 6 biased gooner pundit.
Bloke just doesn't want to be there does he.
Lazy uninterested and dull.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

smuts wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:13 am Lee Dixon is giving Alan Smith a run for his money as most boring top 6 biased gooner pundit.
Affirmative, but biased towards Man U?

Have a word, Lee!
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Well at least we tried.

Think Moyes let the players down by not making subs to freshen up the front line until it was far too late after they had brought on the cavalry and pinned us back. Scamacca came on too late but he immediately completed two passes, which was two more passes than Antonio completed all second half. No wonder he chose to shoot.

Not sure about the goalie for all three goals. The second one a great strike but hardly in the corner. I always think fans expect goalies to save worldies (hello Shaka) but that looked more saveable than some.

I just dont get Soucek higher up the pitch than Paqueta. I love the guy but we have some great technical players now and it's like we've put Kevin Nolan in the heart of it all.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Think that was the first goal we have conceded from a set piece this season, but christ did we look shaky from set pieces last night.

Seemed everyone was looking at their men rather than the ball.
Casemiro could have had 2. Even Soucek for the Casemiros second attempt wasn't looking at the ball.

Very unusual.
nr637
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by nr637 »

Too be honest we did play well for periods, especially in the first half.

But reality doesn't lie, and I think Keane was right on the actual result. We pat ourselves on the back for performing well, not taking our best chances and then typically falling to the obvious response from a better team.

All the usual excuses!

Fact is they have better players, bigger squad and a passion to win any way they can!

We have to be honest with ourselves and stop making comparisons with clubs that are as far apart in terms of ambition and real potential!

Well done to all those that travelled as the away support, real fans. :newthumb:

Now lets move on and try to get a result at Brighton! :chin:
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Can’t believe
Coufal
Kehrer
Harrison Ashby
Lars Jacobson even
Would have afforded the Circus freak on the left wing quite as much room the whole 90 mins .. including the pivotal goal as much as Johnson would
Last edited by JLCABA on Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:40 am Affirmative, but biased towards Man U?

Have a word, Lee!
City fan in his youth so even more unforgivable nor understandable
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:40 am Affirmative, but biased towards Man U?

Have a word, Lee!
Having met him a couple of times, i know he really does not like Man U at all

He is a Man City fan who spent most of his career at Arsenal embroiled in an intense rivalry with Man U

I didn't notice any bias from him towards man u. Sam matteface got excited for sure, but then most commentators do. it is part their job to sell the product
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 488 likes

Post by Denzil »

It's hard to properly gauge as they introduced their key players when we went one-up but last night may have gone some way to showing how we are a better attacking team than we are a defensive one and perhaps it's time to start playing that way.
Romford_Iron
Has liked: 59 likes
Total likes: 271 likes

Post by Romford_Iron »

Absolutely do not agree that Moyes told the players to sit back. They brought on a bunch of in-form players for the last 30, the momentum shifted and we got pegged back. They’re one of the best in form teams at the moment, we couldn’t expect to dominate them for 90 mins.

Ten Hag actually did a Moyes. He kept it tight for 60/70 mins and then went for it. The only difference was he had Casemiro, Rashford etc. waiting in the wings to take it up a gear when needed.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1787 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^I was just thinking the real difference between the two sides, and what eventually did for us, was the quality of the substitutes bench.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

I thought for the most part it was a really good performance and we were the better team for long periods. A few mistakes, not taking chances and running out of steam when they brought on their main players.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

thought we played well - some of the passing was sublime - we didnt deserve the scoreline at the end

we wont see much of that man utd jedward albino kid once the sun comes out in April - he will melt
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:27 am Having met him a couple of times, i know he really does not like Man U at all

He is a Man City fan who spent most of his career at Arsenal embroiled in an intense rivalry with Man U

I didn't notice any bias from him towards man u. Sam matteface got excited for sure, but then most commentators do. it is part their job to sell the product
Strange then, that two Palace fans, who were just enjoying the game as a spectacle were both of the view that he was leaning in their favour.

I initially thought it was just me sour graping it, but we were all laughing about it long before the end.

I know he's a City fan.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 355 likes

Post by old fart »

Liam wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:52 am To be fair Areola was livid with Aguerd, suggesting he'd called his ball.
If you're goalkeeper, the ball in the 6 yard box is yours, knock everyone out of the way, don't care if they call.
You're in charge.
asters89
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by asters89 »

Obviously a massive disappointing result but we played some really good stuff and looked good for most of the game. You'd be hard pressed to tell which team were resurgent near the top of the league and which in a relegation scrap.

Maybe it's harsh to characterise Aguerd as having a series of uncharacteristic errors and Antonio reverting to type, but when Antonio went through one on one I had very little expectation of him burying it.

It's a shame to be out of the cup but some positives to take forward to Brighton. Antonio will likely make room for Ings and Aguerd has hopefully got those mistakes out of his system. Emerson looked good in a back 4 so hopefully the 4 at the back is here to stay. Soucek still looks far from the best on the ball but the more advanced role seems to suit him better.