⚽ FAC5: Manchester Utd 3-1 West Ham Utd

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1118 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Macca1973 »

In last nights Quarter Final draw, Manchester United were drawn at home for the 10th consecutive time in domestic cups!

It’s definitely not bent though!
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

We'd have only lost to Fulham at home.. you know how it goes..
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

We have a team of players of whom most excel at making the wrong choice
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:08 am It’s definitely not bent though!
It’s not.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:06 pm If he'd subbed Fornals for a CB he'd have been lynched on here.
Not at 1-0 up he wouldnt.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Honestly, I think that David Moyes thread would have been full of “he’s panicked” “he sat back and we just waited to concede” and “he gave them the impetus to score, we had nothing to counter.”

I don’t think you can legislate for your core having a meltdown. You can argue he shouldn’t have let his team ever get so overwhelmed/their weaknesses are his etc, but when it comes to the actual management of that game, what it needed was senior heads and nous.

It’s where we miss having Noble to chuck on. One thing we lack is a bit of nous. Rice is a very emotional player, Paquetá can look a bit shocked by the rushing pace of it all, Soucek is a bit too nice and lacks control on the ball.

Not sure a great change was there, cos Lanzini wilts under that, too. I think, probably, you have to play Bowen through the middle and have Fornals or Lanzini with Benrahma. But you can understand why he’d go Bowen then Scamacca.

Hopefully, in the future, that change is Ogbonna on with Zouma and Aguerd.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:30 am I However looking back on the Substitutions more in-depth that were made during the game by both managers, I definitely think Ten Haag stole a march on Moyes when making the changes throughout the 2nd half. I noticed Ten Haag wasn't happy at Half Time bringing on Casemiro as his 1st Sub for McTominay, recognising a problem in midfield. Then when we did score, Haag immediately addressed it by bringing on a further 2 players in Martinez and Rashford, making it 3 fresh players before the hour mark and we had yet to make 1 afte (working our nuts off to get to that point.
Tbf it is much easier for a manager to make game changing subs when they are losing

Personally I think Downes should have come on for Benny once it went to 1-1 to help see us through to Extra time - but we were playing pretty well up ton75 mins so I can see why Moyes didn't want to change it before that
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:11 am
It’s where we miss having Noble to chuck on. One thing we lack is a bit of nous. Rice is a very emotional player, Paquetá can look a bit shocked by the rushing pace of it all, Soucek is a bit too nice and lacks control on the ball.
:newthumb:
Spot on. We missed a player like Nobes yesterday. A calm and experienced head that plays at his own pace, keeps the ball and wins cheap free kicks to get his teammates a bit of a breather for the next 20 seconds plus.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:57 am Not at 1-0 up he wouldnt.
He absolutely would have for sitting back and not going for a second. Especially if they then went on to equalise.

Even I'd have been annoyed if he subbed off Fornals for a CB!
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:14 am Tbf it is much easier for a manager to make game changing subs when they are losing

Personally I think Downes should have come on for Benny once it went to 1-1 to help see us through to Extra time - but we were playing pretty well up ton75 mins so I can see why Moyes didn't want to change it before that
We'd have been playing for penalties at that point, which is all well and good if it works, he'd have been jumped on for handing them the initiative if it didn't.
Italian Hammer
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Italian Hammer »

Peaches wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:31 am Aguerd and Antonio cost us today. I guarantee both Scamacca and Ings score at least one of those chances. Aguerd is a bit out of sorts playing on the right side, especially playing with Johnson as his right back and Areola behind him for the first time. I thought Johnson was decent up until the yellow card and after that very poor. There was a significant amount of fatigue kicking in after around 65 to 70 minutes. Antonio was barely working and went into hiding after the second one on one. Fornals, Paqueta and Soucek definitely tired. All that being said, I thought there were a lot of positives. We came out to go for it from the start. We dominated the midfield n the first half and for 60+ minutes we were markedly the better side. Paqueta, Benrahma, and Emerson continue to get better. I thought for the middle 60 minutes Paqueta was incredible.
:thup: Finally a bit of perspective. Tiredness did play a part and we did not manage that well from the subs bench.

Aguerd did not have his best day, but I think the second goal was also a bit harsh on him. Yes, his clearance was weak but the ball then came back at him in the form of a shot which he blocked well, only for the ball to spin somewhat luckily to their player to score after not being closed down.

End of the day we could/should have been a couple of goals to the better but we did not take our chances.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Wilko1304 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:34 am Collectively, the team lost it. Problem with a midfield of happy-go-lucky Tom, a Brazilian baller and a young captain. They did not know how to take the game and kill it, drain it of space, become ruiners.
I'd agree with that but add in the wide forwards as well. It's in fornals locker but not in Bowens or Benny's. Unfortunately fornals was knackered.

Overall lots of massive positives for me. Emerson looked fine at left back, the rice/Paqueta combo keeps improving, I'd prefer a more creative 10 but souchek is looking effective in his new role, Benny looked good doing the bits he likes doing but continues to frustrate me. Antonio did so much good work on the difficult side of the game but isn't in anyway a natural finisher. Feel sorry for Aguerd tbh, he has to head the first one and the outcome dented his confidence, looks a top quality player though. Still think it would do Johnson good to have some time on loan playing every week, he needs to learn the ugly side of defending.

Other takes from the game would be the commentary and coverage was by some distance the most biased I have ever seen and there are some on here so itching to stick the knife into Moyes they make themselves look stupid.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

The other slightly depressing thought about this match is that we were playing half a B team. Man u could have selected a much stronger team to start with.
They brought two players on and it was game over.
We really are still miles off having a decent squad.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Samba wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:20 am We'd have only lost to Fulham at home.. you know how it goes..
If we had got through we wouldn’t even have had Fulham at home. They probably would’ve warmed them balls up to make sure we had Man City or even Brighton away.

Still, at least the sponsors can now get what they wanted all along. One of the ‘Sky 6’ clubs winning their trophy. Unless Brighton can prevent that!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2635 likes

Post by sendô »

The coverage of that game from ITV was bordering on criminal. They made absolutely no attempt to hide the fact that they wanted “United” to win, and were audibly irritated when we were winning.

As to the game itself, we played well but ran out of steam. Moments change games, and Antonio not being able to score one on ones and Nathan having a couple of brain farts did us.

That said, Im once again perplexed by Moyes use of the subs bench - or else lack thereof. Waiting until the 75th min to make a change, and then why bring Bowen on for Fornals and not Antonio? He had the options of Downes or Kehrer to either bolster defence/midfield or do a like for like with fresh legs, not to mention the much maligned Lanzini.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Glad we're out, to be honest - league and Conference League should be our focus. Continues progress in the FA Cup would have been an additional distraction.
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

RichieRiv wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:21 pm Too right BG. I would like to see him offed as soon as possible.
Bit strong.
Just sell him instead.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3122 likes
Total likes: 2265 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

kitthehammer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:33 am The other slightly depressing thought about this match is that we were playing half a B team. Man u could have selected a much stronger team to start with.
Nah, this is a better Man Utd side than they've had for a decade or more, properly managed for once, feeling full of confidence a few days after winning a cup final, a team of players in the form of their life or playing for their place, and with ridiculous strength on their bench.

We were also missing key players, with first-choice starters Zouma, Fab, Coufal and Ings all out injured plus Bowen given a rest.

It was a disappointing way to lose, but I don't see why we need to start picking apart one of the most promising performances of the season just to make ourselves miserable.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

:
kitthehammer wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:33 am The other slightly depressing thought about this match is that we were playing half a B team. Man u could have selected a much stronger team to start with.
We had Zouma, Coufal, Ings, Lanzini, Cornet all out last night.
We are not miles off having a decent squad.

Squad strength is the drop in quality when you have to use.

They just have much better players because they are one of the biggest clubs in the world
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

By far the best we've played all season.

Gives me hope.