⚽ FAC5: Manchester Utd 3-1 West Ham Utd

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Re: ⚽ Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Tezza65 »

S-H wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:03 am By far the best we've played all season.

Gives me hope.
I know we lost,but many of our fans would rather see us go for it and sit back and hope we can get a breakaway(that dross at Spurs).I was proud the way we played last night for the majority of the game.For me it gives me real hope for the rest of the season,not just to stay up,but to win the Conference League.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

asters89 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:09 amMaybe it's harsh to characterise Aguerd as having a series of uncharacteristic errors and Antonio reverting to type, but when Antonio went through one on one I had very little expectation of him burying it.
I looked at the first chance Antonio had again this morning. Live I was thinking he had to lift it over De Gea and on the replay I thought the same. Needed more finesse than Antonio lashing it on the hope it goes through the keeper, but now I can't think of a goal Antonio has scored where he's lifted it over a keeper in that situation.

On the second one he looked across the box twice before taking a shot - he must have seen the other players in the box that could have had a good chance, and chose not to use them.

I don't think either of those is being harsh on Antonio, exactly, but I think there were other options that could have been taken in each situation which might have resulted in a goal.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:49 am ^^^^I was just thinking the real difference between the two sides, and what eventually did for us, was the quality of the substitutes bench.
True.

They had to bring on Casemiro, Rashford and Martinez to beat us.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Man Utd didn’t defeat us. We defeated ourselves.

The fact we are saying this against a team that are where they are currently in league in a funny sort of way is a positive. But a bitter pill to swallow also.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1200 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Tezza65 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:24 am I know we lost,but many of our fans would rather see us go for it and sit back and hope we can get a breakaway(that dross at Spurs).I was proud the way we played last night for the majority of the game.For me it gives me real hope for the rest of the season,not just to stay up,but to win the Conference League.
Agree Tezza. Except for the last 20 minutes or so. After manure scored their first we fell apart.
Worst game for Nathan to date
Hopefully just a cup blip.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

JLCABA wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 am Can’t believe
Coufal
Kehrer
Harrison Ashby
Lars Jacobson even
Would have afforded the Circus freak on the left wing quite as much room the whole 90 mins .. including the pivotal goal as much as Johnson would
I thought Johnson did really well against Garnacho until Fornals went off and left him exposed. I reckon virtually all of Man utd attacks came down that side once Bowen came on and stopped offering the defensive cover that Pab did.

If anyone is to 'blame' for ManU 2nd I would say its Areola who should have dived for it IMO.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

funky chicken wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:44 am Man Utd didn’t defeat us. We defeated ourselves.
Disagree.

They are excellent. Once they brought on their stronger players and went up a gear, we couldn't live with them. They were pretty much on top of us for the final 30 minutes of the game. It felt like they were going to win pretty much from when we went 1-0 up to me at least.

We didn't defend particularly well in that final period and we didn't put the game to bed when we had chances, but they won because they are really good.

Will be having a sizeable bet on them to win the 23/24 season myself. A really excellent team. I am enthused by how much we troubled them in the first half though. We are much better than we've been allowed to play this season.
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Taking off Fornals for Bowen changed the game.

Bad day for Aguerd and Antonio.

Not looked at the stats for the game so can't comment on Soucek and Bowen.

Thought once Fornals went off Johnson had a tough time because Bowen isn't like Fornals.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am They are excellent. Once they brought on their stronger players and went up a gear, we couldn't live with them. They were pretty much on top of us for the final 30 minutes of the game. It felt like they were going to win pretty much from when we went 1-0 up to me at least.

We didn't defend particularly well in that final period and we didn't put the game to bed when we had chances, but they won because they are really good.

Will be having a sizeable bet on them to win the 23/24 season myself. A really excellent team. I am enthused by how much we troubled them in the first half though. We are much better than we've been allowed to play this season.
My thoughts as well.

Even in the 1st half, they were better, creating chances more frequently than us.
delbert
Has liked: 699 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Post by delbert »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am Disagree.

They are excellent. Once they brought on their stronger players and went up a gear, we couldn't live with them. They were pretty much on top of us for the final 30 minutes of the game. It felt like they were going to win pretty much from when we went 1-0 up to me at least.

They were excellent, but to an extent we made them look excellenter, they pressed hard and had the majority of possession but on occasions when we did have the ball we nearly always gave it straight away through misplaced passes or being dispossessed, hence why both Bowen and Scamacca were virtually spectators when they came on.......
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

The stronger bench won the game.

I was cursing Moyes for not bringing on Scamacca sooner, but then when I realised it was ET on the night, it made sense. Had he brought him on with 70 mins gone and it ended up going to Extra-time, he'd have had to play 50/60 mins and could have ended up taking a further knock.

Put a fit Scamacca, fit Lanzini and fit Cornet on our bench, and we win that game last night.

Onwards and upwards and feeling positive albeit disapointed.
lincolnhammer1963
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 96 likes

Post by lincolnhammer1963 »

I was well pleased with the overall performance last night.
We had plenty of moments to score more than one and we were unlucky to concede an own goal
This current Manchester United team are going to be going deep into every competition this season much like Liverpool last season.
After a really poor start to the season, I am fairly optimistic for a better end and hopefully an appearance in a European final.

David Moyes has finally got the message that we have to be more offensive and I'm sure the last two games performances will hopefully keep him thinking that way
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

We didn’t blow it, we didn’t defeat ourselves.

We pushed them hard and for periods we played some nice one touch football. On another night, we could have gone two up but alas we didn’t and like many on here, when Antonio didn’t square that ball and elected to shoot himself, there was a feeling that was a pivotal moment.
I’m not blaming Mike or any individual to be honest, nor the manager. We gave it a bloody good go last night but when push came to shove, the artillery they had on the bench was superior to ours and was a game changer.

As for Keane on ITV, most of what he said was not far from the truth, I just hate the arrogant way he dismissed us as if we had no right to even dare to defeat his beloved Man Utd.

More positives than negatives and let’s start by burying that Brighton hoodo at the weekend.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

i'm still so pe'ed off we lost that game .
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

asters89 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:09 am Maybe it's harsh to characterise Aguerd as having a series of uncharacteristic errors and Antonio reverting to type, but when Antonio went through one on one I had very little expectation of him burying it.
Imagine having a striker that nobody expects to score when he's through 1 on 1 with plenty of time in the Premier League. Staggering we are still playing him IMO.
MAC08
Has liked: 42 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

We are a bit spursy at times! Even last season we blew the Europa league when it mattered. Let’s hope we can learn from these experiences. After we scored, we seemed to lose focus of what we had done well for 70 minutes and forgot we were actually winning.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Johnson a bit too rash with his fouling in and around the box for my liking.
Last two games he was a little fortunate not to concede a pen.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

irving boleyn wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:36 pm Johnson a bit too rash with his fouling in and around the box for my liking.
Last two games he was a little fortunate not to concede a pen.
He didn't commit any fouls in the box though.
gaptooth
Location: For the team - in a happy place. Board - in a dark place, with my head in my hands
Has liked: 145 likes
Total likes: 37 likes

Post by gaptooth »

JLCABA wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:23 am Can’t believe
Coufal
Kehrer
Harrison Ashby
Lars Jacobson even
Would have afforded the Circus freak on the left wing quite as much room the whole 90 mins .. including the pivotal goal as much as Johnson would
I thought Ben Johnson played really well, and had the ghostly looking dude in his pocket for most of the game. Changed when Fornals went off, as others have pointed out
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

fjthegrey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am Disagree.

30 minutes is a bit of a stretch. More 20.

We had 2 very good chances to extend our lead. The Antonio effort when he could’ve squared it. Plus, the effort Fornals drilled past the far post.
fjthegrey wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:53 am We didn't defend particularly well in that final period and we didn't put the game to bed when we had chances, but they won because they are really good.
And that’s why we lost the game. They didn’t have to be good, or to show any form of quality to see us miss our chances, or for Aguerd to be in a charitable mood in the final 15 minutes. That was all our doing.

Other than that offside goal they scored, for all the possession they may have had in the last 15-20 minutes we looked pretty comfortable from a defensive perspective.

Still, plenty of positives to take out of the game. :newthumb: