⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion 0-4 West Ham Utd (4/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Re: ⚽ Brighton & Hove Albion vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by bubbles1966 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:59 pm He took Benhrama off because ..
43% pass accuracy.

I actually expect his every dribble to go nowhere, his every shot to pea roll into the keepers' arms, his every cross to hit the first man or the corner flag on the other side of the pitch. I expect it as much as I expect Soucek to misplace every intricate pass, and as much as I expect Antonio to miss every one on one.

I really want them all to be good at these things, but I've seen more than enough now to know that it'll never happen.

It doesn't mean that I think they are rubbish (full stop) but none of them should have been starting on a regular basis if the club had done it's recruitment properly in the summer.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 800 likes
Total likes: 3015 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:59 pm Of course managers have favourites and biases.
Every single manage does. No different to other humans.
It might not akwqys be conscious favouritism but players they treat in a more positive fashion than others.

But tbf I haven't mentioned anything about managerial favouritism

He took Benhrama off because he has lost the plot. nothing to do with favouritism IMHO. And he prefers Soucek because it suits his safety first, risk averse approach
Its not about favoritism, its about trust.

And believe me, even when Moyes has been chased out of the club, his replacement wont trust Benny anymore than Moyes.

Its simple really, the bits Benny does well do not compensate for the things he doesn't.

Remind me who were bidding against to secure his services for an inflated fee.........
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:53 pm Nonsense.
Only 1 player gave away a very costly needless Penalty for Brightons important 1st goal in the 1st half and it wasn't Benrahma. Bowen then went on to stink the rest of the game out barely protecting his Right Back whilst failing to assist or score over 90 minutes. But sure, Benrahma was the worst performer of all, for just his 45 minutes... Nonsense indeed.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Hardly anyone wants the players we sign, says it all
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:12 am its about trust.
It is and he's trusting some of the wrong player's, at the wrong time. To continue playing Bowen in every single minute almost and overlook others sitting on the Bench, whilst constantly digging out Benrahma or taking him off, keeping him on the Bench is going to raise many eyebrows or even lead to Fans chanting "Said Benrahma" out of defiance to what the manager is doing, to what Fans see unfolding. I see it exactly the same way as all those who chanted his name recently.
Colours never run

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:11 am I actually expect his every dribble to go nowhere, his every shot to pea roll into the keepers' arms, his every cross to hit the first man or the corner flag on the other side of the pitch.
Did you think that when he blasted in our only goal at Old Trafford on Wednesday, or set up 2 of our goals vs Forest at home, or blasted the only goal of the game in the FA Cup away to Brentford, or scores our only goal away at the League leaders Arsenal, or blasts the only goal in against Palace or scores another against a relegation rival Bournemouth, or sets 1 up for Rice to score the only goal away against another relegation rival Southampton, or indeed score twice in Europe with 1 being against Anderlecht? And that's with over 860 minutes (over 9 and a half games more) less time compared to what Bowen has enjoyed all season long.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:38 am Did you think that
Yes.

Bloke has one goal from open play and one meaningful assist in 23 league games.

So yes, I really do think he's mostly fart and no follow through.

Your idea about playing 4 at the back isn't going very well, is it? 7 goals conceded in 2 hours.
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

I've just seen the 1st half again and Benni was rubbish , but so was Paqueta and Bowen with regards their efforts in trying to close Brighton midfielders down. Basically the whole team looked completey knackered and were misplacing passes very badly. Even though Ben Johnson was indirectly responsible for the penalty he made several fantastic interceptions of crosses and through balls to Mitoma. Rather than looking at his mistakes check the 1st half again and look at the good things he did for the team.

https://sbbrisk.com/ccdeg1yjq6qd.html
Colours never run

Without Fabianski in goal anymore no, it's going terrible.The way it's currently going with how badly the manager attacks games, maybe he is better off just playing 8 defensive players again with 3 at the back just to keep the score down like at Spurs 2-0.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1970 likes
Total likes: 1654 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

mentioned at the time I was watching the replay that the h-t stats said we completed 69 passes

they completed 300.

they're not prime time Iniesta, Xavi, Barcelona so there's something dreadfully wrong with that stat
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Humbug »

I thought Brighton's tippy tappy football was a bit boring to be honest . If we do progress to become a better footballing team, I'd rather we retain possession better but everything done quicker with fast runs behind the defence and accurate through balls.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Humbug wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:02 am I thought Brighton's tippy tappy football was a bit boring to be honest . If we do progress to become a better footballing team, I'd rather we retain possession better but everything done quicker with fast runs behind the defence and accurate through balls.
Liquid football and systemically taking your opponents apart bit by bit, whilst creating chance after chance to score is boring? I must be watching the wrong sport
Colours never run

I thought some of their 1 and 2 touch slick passing was excellent, scoring 4 goals with ease whilst keeping a clean sheet and exactly the kind of Football I'd love to see us play. They ran rings around us all game. It was very impressive and made our entire Team look like a bunch of amateurs that included Rice, Aguerd and Paqueta.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:56 am mentioned at the time I was watching the replay that the h-t stats said we completed 69 passes

they completed 300.

they're not prime time Iniesta, Xavi, Barcelona so there's something dreadfully wrong with that stat
It's a mix of things.

A lot of their passes are pointless in the first half. The only stuff they really create is via mistakes by ours. At HT , it was two shots on target apiece, and only 4-3 overall.

With us, there's a bit too much playing of percentage balls, we seem to be trying to hit them quickly on the counter, but there's just an awful lot of sloppiness, especially in turnover moments where we win the ball and take pretty really bad care of it.

There's a lack of patience, care and precision.

Personally, I think we miss Lanzini. It just feels like we have more control when he plays providing we aren't asking him to do DM type stuff.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

I'm still sick and grumpy.....the kids are hiding under me table.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

the pink palermo wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:03 am Actually i think Bowen has been very inconsistent this season, some weeks good, others poor, but generally his work rate is good.

As for Benny, i thought he was good midweek, dogshit yesterday, but he clearly doesn't graft as hard as Bowen.
Bowen the top grafter? You mean like in midweek, when he neglected any defensive duty and let Garnacho go to town on Johnson? Or at the Weekend, when he let Mitoma run riot and his only real contribution to helping that cause was to give away a penalty? Johnson is the one taking the blame though. I’m guessing your part of the Bowen ‘cult’.

Honestly, when it comes to you and Benrahma it’s just a crusade at this point.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 688 likes
Total likes: 2024 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:19 am Only 1 player gave away a very costly needless Penalty for Brightons important 1st goal in the 1st half and it wasn't Benrahma. Bowen then went on to stink the rest of the game out barely protecting his Right Back whilst failing to assist or score over 90 minutes. But sure, Benrahma was the worst performer of all, for just his 45 minutes... Nonsense indeed.
CNR, I wouldn’t bother mate. When you have to make up the numbers and use words like ‘meaningful’ it just shows what a weak attempt it really is. I found his 2 assists and performance against Nottingham Forest pretty meaningful personally. I’m guessing the majority of us inside the stadium that day did do. We’re all part of the Benny cult.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Colours never run wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:20 pm Bit of class from Rodgers that, to take it on the chin with them playing so poorly this season and not resorting to gloating about his genuine past glory at Leicester.
Also known as buttering up the fanbase, the last refuge of the damned.
Lovejoy
Has liked: 969 likes
Total likes: 970 likes

Post by Lovejoy »

Humbug wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:02 am I thought Brighton's tippy tappy football was a bit boring to be honest . If we do progress to become a better footballing team, I'd rather we retain possession better but everything done quicker with fast runs behind the defence and accurate through balls.
Having a laugh ain’t ya, type of football we could only dream of playing. As bad as we we’re that’s the most impressed I’ve been with a side against us all season.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2572 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:10 am
A lot of their passes are pointless in the first half.
Depends on how you look at it. Spending the first half knocking it around, having us chase the ball for 45 minutes tiring us out, completely demoralising us by making us look inept.... it set them up nicely to go for the jugular in the second half.