"Too late to save the environment"

KUMB's 24-hour rolling news channel. The Forum in which to discuss non sport-related news and current affairs, including politics.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Re: "Too late to save the environment"

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Junco Partner wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:26 pm Mad the leap the Rightie, billionaire owned fossil fuelled media have made from "Nope, it's all made up" to "It's all true but it's too late to do anything so vroom, vroom!" without so much as a pit stop in the middle or a reflection on all their lies that disparaged and derailed any meaningful action until now.

But they're Canute's, the tide's with the Greta's of the world......and that's humanity's only hope.
In boardrooms all over the world the message has shifted over the last twenty years but their unspoken bottom line remains: "let's keep making as much money as we can for as long as we can by saying whatever we have to in order to perpetuate this".
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:59 pm In boardrooms all over the world the message has shifted over the last twenty years but their unspoken bottom line remains: "let's keep making as much money as we can for as long as we can by saying whatever we have to in order to perpetuate this".
Ever thought of becoming a painter and decorator Dave? With such broad brushes and strokes you would get jobs done in the half the time. Then again seeing as you spend so much time in board rooms you may struggle finding the time.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Monkeybubbles wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:17 am Of course it's too late. It's a great big ship to turn around.

But that doesn't mean we should make it worse, and if we don't take personal responsibility how can expect others to?
I'm sort of on board with you here (inasmuch that I think we should recycle and not be wasteful ****ers) but I think there's almost a type of punishment in the form of monetary penalties for companies and individuals (at a time when money is tight for everyone) in this country that are in no way being pushed back into investing for cleaner forms of energy. It helps nobody except local councils, governments and other unscrupulous individuals who see the "green thing" as a cash cow for their own schemes and shortcomings.

It's worth remembering that the UK is responsible for roughly 2% of the world's CO2 emissions, so if this country sank into the sea tomorrow the climate would be no better off. I personally think any meaningful reduction in emissions, if that's what you really care about, is completely out of our hands. I hear the argument about regardless of what other countries are doing, we shouldn't be following their lead but the greatest offenders such as China and India have rampant poverty. Until the standard of living in these countries is raised then and only then can saving the planet be looked at on a level playing field.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1956 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

^ Oh, I agree. It's a big ship to turn around, like I said. It's just a courtesy to evaluate what we do on a personal level, really.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

RichieRiv wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:22 am Ever thought of becoming a painter and decorator Dave? With such broad brushes and strokes you would get jobs done in the half the time. Then again seeing as you spend so much time in board rooms you may struggle finding the time.
Having done time (and yes, it felt like that) in PR I don't need to spend time in board-rooms to see how too many corporates are managing the climate change optics ...

https://grist.org/accountability/global ... -credible/

Juncs had it right. Anyway, thanks for the careers advice. I'm off to paint a board-room.
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

The bit I don’t understand from people not wanting to recognise that the environmental changes are occurring is that even if they were correct and that there is no rush to address the issue (I hope they’re correct), but in order to address the issue in say 30 years, we have to put things in place right now or we actually end up at the point that they deny we are at now ?
Strange arguments about Pakistani children digging cobalt and lithium out of the ground with tea spoons to deflect away from oil being pumped and burned and therefore lost forever. Whilst also ignoring that Cobalt has been used for decades to extract sulphurs from oil in the refining processes.
Rare earth metal doesn’t mean scarce, it simply means it comes out of the ground as an ore and needs processing to become useful, as does Iron, Copper etc…
Inefficiency of renewable technology used as an excuse to not use them, when even engines in cars started out extremely inefficient, and still today are wildly inefficient based on losses from fuel source to traction. Every technology ever invented has been honed and slowly developed by being put into mass use to become better. In the space of just a decade the best battery car on the market has hone from a range of about 80 miles to that of having several models that can easily make 300 miles.
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Save the enviroment? That's meaningless. Save the planet? The planet's well able to do that without any help.
Save the species? Probably, but they'd be fewer in number.It's about human happiness isn't it?

Personally, I'd like to live a pleasant life, that didn't rely on the disadvantage of other humans or animals, (IMO) the further humans try and distance themselves from the natural rythym of nature, the more unhappy they become.

[Can't type anymore, need both hands for this bong]

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:52 am
[Can't type anymore, need both hands for this bong]

Might want to check with your local NHS, they may have some sub-par oxygen masks knocking around that you could hook up to it for the full-on hands-free experience. :winker:
Friend or Foé
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Friend or Foé »

Tenbury wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:52 am Save the species? Probably, but they'd be fewer in number.It's about human happiness isn't it?
Save the environment that suits us. Anything that differs from our norm is still an environment, nut just not one that is habitable to most mammals.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

We can't stop now, not while there's still money to be made from "green initiatives" and taxes to be levied against the working classes for using all of the fossil fuel based machinery they were previously sold.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2438 likes
Total likes: 4295 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:57 pm While there's bicycles there's hope....

Cyclists Now Outnumber Motorists In City Of London
As a matter of interest , do cyclists pay road tax yet? Oh, and congestion charge?
sendô

Post by sendô »

Do bicycles cause congestion or pollution?

Does road tax actually pay for the roads?
Tenbury
Has liked: 722 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:49 pm Do bicycles cause congestion or pollution?

Well yes, if only indirectly.. (Lycra :thumbdn:)
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

bubbles1966 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:45 pm As a matter of interest , do cyclists pay road tax yet? Oh, and congestion charge?
They pay ULEZ in proportion to their emissions, zero emissions = zero charge. There's no such thing as Road Tax and hasn't been for almost a century.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

what about the rubber components ?

what about the rubber components on my trainers when I walk everywhere and go through about 5 pair a year !!!!!

:shocker:
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:49 pm Do bicycles cause congestion or pollution?
In fairness there are more and more e-bikes, are these just charged by pedal power, or do you need to charge them up from the mains as well? (in which case I supose you're already paying for the leccy).
sendô

Post by sendô »

Once they start to phase out fossil fuels properly they'll whack a duty onto electricity in the name of protecting the integritity of the grid or some other such b*llocks.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

Junco Partner wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:50 pm They pay ULEZ in proportion to their emissions, zero emissions = zero charge. There's no such thing as Road Tax and hasn't been for almost a century.
Ok, vehicle excise duty then?

And the congestion charge?
Hummer_I_mean_Hammer

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:36 pm Once they start to phase out fossil fuels properly they'll whack a duty onto electricity in the name of protecting the integritity of the grid or some other such b*llocks.
:newthumb:

mate, they'd soon start charging for oxygen if they could come up with some BS reason for doing so.
bubbles1966

Post by bubbles1966 »

sendô wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:36 pm Once they start to phase out fossil fuels properly they'll whack a duty onto electricity in the name of protecting the integritity of the grid or some other such b*llocks.
I'm wondering about who pays for the potholes when there's only bicycles and buses in London - and who's on the hook for the insurance claims when the accidents and claims for compensation happen.