⚽ UCLR161L: AEK Larnaca 0-2 West Ham Utd (9/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: ⚽ AEK Larnaca v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

I think it can go underrated just how good Noble was technically.

A way to go for Flynn to prove he is capable of emulating that for me, let alone being a replacement for Rice (not saying anyone is really saying that anymore - that seemed to be a thing suggested early on before anyone had really seen him play).
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We've got too used to mediocrity, I fear.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:22 pm I think it can go underrated just how good Noble was technically.

A way to go for Flynn to prove he is capable of emulating that for me, let alone being a replacement for Rice (not saying anyone is really saying that anymore - that seemed to be a thing suggested early on before anyone had really seen him play).
The lad is 24. No doubt how good a passer Noble was particularly once he reached late 20s. I said that's the type of player he could be, not yet.

For me we have an opportunity with this lad who had a 91% pass completion in the Championship. Its obviously not the same standard but its frantic and you don't get loads of time on the ball.
We need control, he should be given a shot.
happydaystoytown
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 99 likes

Post by happydaystoytown »

sutts07 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:30 pm Watch the highlights on YouTube.
Forward pass to Lanzini which leads to a Fornals effort on goal.
Forward pass to Rice which leads to a Antonio goal.
Forward pass to Lanzini which leads to a Bowen effort on goal.

In just a single 4min highlight edit you will see 3 examples of him keeping the ball well for us and starting off meaningful attacks.

Noble used to get this criticism all the time too, it did my head in.

He also wasn't shy in giving it back to them when they started to dish out some meaty challenges on Bowen and Benrhama.
:newthumb:

I like him, he doesn't hide and just play it safe. He looked confident and tried to be positive on the ball, looking for meaningful passes.

And he has a bit of bite to him, which we badly need, we're far too nice!

Not saying much but one of our better buys last summer, I reckon!!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:30 pm The lad is 24. No doubt how good a passer Noble was particularly once he reached late 20s. I said that's the type of player he could be, not yet.

For me we have an opportunity with this lad who had a 91% pass completion in the Championship. Its obviously not the same standard but its frantic and you don't get loads of time on the ball.
We need control, he should be given a shot.
I don't disagree really mate. It's nice to have him.

I was probably hoping he'd be a bit more of a revelation than he has shown to be so far and dominate some of the lesser games he's been involved in in a way that makes you see he has more in his locker.

But if he to be a tidy, reliable enough player who supports West Ham and not much more... well you can do a lot worse than having that in the squad.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I never notice him tbh.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Westbourne Bill wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:19 pm I never notice him tbh.
Exactly what you want in that role Bill!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

because I couldn't get back home in time to watch it live I settled for a replay of the game. well the first half anyway it got patchy after that and I knew the score so it worked out okay.

honestly I thought Downes, Fornals, Lanzini and Benni, got the game ticking over very well.....

we hardly wasted a ball imvho. just what we needed. allowed us to settle in early. thought they hardly touched the ball in the first 15. then they got into the game and not exactly "bossed" the game but got back into it and moved forward but didn't create an awful lot.

the last 15 was a bit of both and we scored when the opportunity presented itself. up until then I don't think Antonio was in the game much, didn't seem to hold the ball and then all of a sudden he scored a very good header from a brilliant ball from Benni and then must have thought he was someone else and bent a ball right around a defender and into the net. maybe one of his best goals ever.

then he hit the post and with a little luck it could have gone in and/or hit the opposite post and gone in.

as I said, a patchy second that I gave up on as it kept buffering up until we started bringing on the subs so I have no idea what happened after that. very professional job.

I hate in a way the 5 subs, you change half the outfield players in what is really not much time to settle in and all all seems to become very disjointed.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

One final musing as I sit in a bar opposite The Meeting Point, the designated West Ham pub still filled with West Ham fans still wearing their West Ham tops.

I’m starting to think the decent folk are becoming the minority amongst the away support (might even be a case to say among our home too). Last night I saw several West Ham on West Ham rows, lots of “I do what a want” as well as aggressive abuse of Cypriot stewards being called “Turkish c*nts”.

Far too many middle aged and older wide boys who still haven’t kicked the cocaine habit and reckon they’re still as tough as they were 40 years ago. Time to grow up gents.