⚽ UCLR161L: AEK Larnaca 0-2 West Ham Utd (9/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Re: ⚽ AEK Larnaca v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Ozza »

I don’t think he should be playing the kids next week, we’ve got players out of form or coming back from injury, we’ve got two ch’s that need to play together more

They need to play and we need to continue winning games
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm not for playing the kids Ozza, I'm all for playing the main squad, my point was we should be in a position to be able to play them, which we are not.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

We have a 17 day break after the home leg :shocker:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Overall a good result but if we play like that against any decent opposition we’d probably lose, which we have on many occasions this season. If we want to beat Villa this weekend we will have to play a lot better.

On the positive side, we finally got to see Downes and Rice as the midfield double pivot, as well as our first choice CB pairing. Cornet looked lively and Lanzini got some much deserved minutes. I hope we also didn’t exert ourselves too much so should be pretty fresh for the weekend.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Poor finishing once again prevented us from putting the tie completeto bed. At the moment its still got a mug of cocoa left in it.

Paqueta and Antonio the culprits, but even so, w nil away in Europe aint to be sniffed at.

As for the Moyes boo boys, i,m currently enjoying my 10th trip to Europe in 2 seasons, with more to come.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

One obvious thing is that we look more dynamic when Rice is allowed to burst forward with the ball.

Restraining him in the Southgate role does not help our attack.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:35 am Poor finishing once again prevented us from putting the tie completeto bed. At the moment its still got a mug of cocoa left in it.

Paqueta and Antonio the culprits, but even so, w nil away in Europe aint to be sniffed at.

As for the Moyes boo boys, i,m currently enjoying my 10th trip to Europe in 2 seasons, with more to come.
Glad you’ve had a good one pinky
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:03 pm Its kind of a dicey subject. In theory it was, but the UEFA was seen as the harder tournament to win and was a higher standard overall. Often teams would be subbed in as the cup winner was already in the European Cup.
Only generally from mickey mouse leagues.

Back when we won it the Cup winner was only half a step lower than the League winner. They had actually won something.

The Fairs was not a proper Cup anyway, and the UEFA Cup was a bunch of also-rans, and as others have said most of that got swallowed when the CL got expanded.

The CWC was clearly the second competition after the EC as far as status goes.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Is there a break after the Europa game anyway? Can’t remember the international break details.

A professional job done, much the same as all our European games this season, really.

Nothing to catch the eye, nothing you’d be purring about really, but low-risk and the quality counting at each end.

Controlled and contained, and victorious again.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:35 am Poor finishing once again prevented us from putting the tie completeto bed. At the moment its still got a mug of cocoa left in it.
Same could be said for Larnaca.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Wilko1304 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:47 am Is there a break after the Europa game anyway? Can’t remember the international break details.

A professional job done, much the same as all our European games this season, really.

Nothing to catch the eye, nothing you’d be purring about really, but low-risk and the quality counting at each end.

Controlled and contained, and victorious again.
We’ve got a 17 day club break mate, England have got 2 games one on the 23rd and one on the 26th, one vs Italy wonder if three nipples will get picked
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

SiamHammer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:23 am We have a 17 day break after the home leg :shocker:
I know there's international games, but why so long? That seems a much longer break than normal.
Sergei
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by Sergei »

Billbobtrev wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:48 am While scamacca is either unfit or disinterested.
Both by the looks of it. Harsh to judge him on a 30 minute appearance in his first game back from injury when the match was already won I suppose. Still think he'll come good though.

As for the match itself I felt distinctly underwhelmed at the final whistle, should really have put the tie to bed. Job half done in the end but banana skin avoided. Early goal at the LS next week should kill the tie.
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:53 am I know there's international games, but why so long? That seems a much longer break than normal.
Man City is postponed due to them being in the FA Cup still
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I think that last line of yours is a fair point

If you are one of the lucky ones who gets to travel to all the European games then I imagine your affinity towards Moyes is probably greater than the rest of us b/c he is the manager who has enabled that to happen

For those who don't get that luxury we don't enjoy those benefits!

As for the game, i didn't realise it was an early kick off so i didn't even know it was happening until there was 10 minutes left. I haven't seen it, so can't comment on it. Glad to see Antonio scored though
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

Well that's the thing, your opinion is right and valid for you, someone else's opinion is right for them.

I'm glad he's given you a great couple of years travelling. I do hope he gives you more. I can't see it myself but I actually want you to be right and me wrong.
Tezza65
Has liked: 1928 likes
Total likes: 585 likes

Post by Tezza65 »

steveyrockstar wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:53 am I know there's international games, but why so long? That seems a much longer break than normal.
It has be said,so I won't repeat on this page. :winker:
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

the pink palermo wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:35 am

You out and about today? Might nip down the local for a lunchtime pint

Meeting room?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Sure, about 1 ish :newthumb:
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes