⚽ West Ham Utd 1-1 Aston Villa (12/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:04 pm Far end from me, but same row otherwise I'd say hello.

Narks me that two rows in front are paying £25 less than us on Thursday.
I realised that during one of the euro games last season when I bought an extra ticket mate - I hadn’t previously caught on that it’s a lower band just a bit lower.

I didn’t get my seat for Larnaca. It felt like a slap in the face the moment the prices came out for that one, didn’t it.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:54 pm Seen their goal now. What on earth is Aguerd doing?
Probably hoping to get some sort of protection from Kehrer on stopping the cross
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

We will just have to agree to disagree. I thought we created plenty enough to win it today, Soucek and Ings on the pitch or otherwise.

Benny could have done better with the volley, should have anticipated the Bowen (I think) ball to the far post second half when it would have been a tap in. Aguerd missed a decent chance from a cross although they might have done Soucek (who was in the box plenty) for offside. Zouma’s header was poor let alone Fornals chance. That is leaving aside the efforts when the keeper/defence did well.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

Irrons wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm Probably hoping to get some sort of protection from Kehrer on stopping the cross
It's still his job to defend the box. Opposition will get crosses into the box.
Aguerd hasn't looked great from crosses so far.
Chelsea, today, man utd.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Irrons wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:15 pm Probably hoping to get some sort of protection from Kehrer on stopping the cross
You can’t stop every cross coming into the box. He should be aware of who’s around him and ensuring that ball is cleared away. It was pretty poor defending for me.
master
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by master »

Kehrer had 2 men occupying his thoughts. Made the wrong choice. Zouma had the man behind. It was Bowen not covering the eventual crosser at all that lead to the confusion.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Gsbgsb wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:16 pm We will just have to agree to disagree. I thought we created plenty enough to win it today, Soucek and Ings on the pitch or otherwise.

I thought overall we played well enough to have gotten a positive result no question.

BUT..

Tom helped nowhere. sticking another forward or forward thinking player in his place couldn't not have made things worse imvho.

yes, it might have backfired. we'll never know.

and we'll never know because we didn't try that option...

hell's bells I reckon sticking Lanzini in there with Ings instead of Soucek wouldn't have done any harm. Tom didn't win loads of aerial duels as he was too far up the park for defensive headers and certainly didn't win many offensive headers iirc...

we were crying out for something different.

we didn't use 3 subs. one who was Lanzini who "might" have been able to thread a ball to Ings, Bowen, Benni or anyone...let's be honest Tom didn't so that's why I say it couldn't have been worse.

maybe it could. we'll never know, because like my dear old dad, "he never even tried." who knows he might have LOVED Chinese food.....my dad, not Moyes...
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

Up the Junction wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:32 pm
it seems like the one thing "we" didnt think was - an additional striker rather than replacing Ings.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I watched very closely today.

We are, simply put, a dreadful team.

Only Moyes knows why he took of Paquetta and Ings. It didn't make much sense to anyone else.

He is a football murdering dinosaur and we have owners who also match that description perfectly well.

No way I'm getting engineering works bus replacements to Newbury ****ing Park whilst that imbelcile continues to destroy perfectly good footballers into shadows of their former selves.

I'm done until something changes.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Get that bloody dinosaur out of my football club now
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Emery tried his level best to go for a win and was first to use 2 of his many Subs on the hour mark - 5 in total. We made our 1st 13 minutes from the end with Fornals and our 2nd only 4 minutes left in Cornet.
Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Have to agree on most things, we did create enough chances to win the game. Also Moyes was to late with his subs again, I really want him to keep us up again, but for the life of me, I don't get the non use of subs when needing a win, unless he thinks just getting out of the relegation zone is what was priority 🤷‍♂️
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Why not Fornals for Pacqueta, Scamacca for Ings who didn't get a sniff, and Cornet for Soucek? And that's without Lanzini as an option.

Doesn't he realise that he's just as likely to lose his job for the subs he doesn't make?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Thought Benrahma was the Man of the Match today. He was whipping in some lovely crosses that weren't being capitalised on and worked the Keeper as well as narrowly miss the target either 1 or 2 other efforts. Was also working hard for the team I thought.
'stone hammer
Has liked: 718 likes
Total likes: 497 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

hammers92 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:18 pm You can’t stop every cross coming into the box. He should be aware of who’s around him and ensuring that ball is cleared away. It was pretty poor defending for me.
Nothing Kehrer could've done. He had Ramsey running in behind him so he couldn't get tight to Moreno.

I remember reading at a lot of posts slating Kehrer at half time. I thought he was decent.

Overall, not the result we were after, but I thought it was a good performance. You've got to hope that if we keep playing like that then the goals will come. Benrahma could've had a hat-trick, Zouma missed a sitter.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Rust wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:13 pm The point is Moyes doesn't know how to manage a team offensively...
We scored 161 goals in the two previous seasons.

The issue isn't that he doesn't know, it's that it ain't working with the current players.

How much have we spent on Scamacca and Ings? How much would Watkins cost compared to that ? What would work better?

I'm frustrated with Moyes, but there's been some proper pony recruitment and who set the strategy for that?
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:23 pm We scored 161 goals in the two previous seasons.

The issue isn't that he doesn't know, it's that it ain't working with the current players.

How much have we spent on Scamacca and Ings? How much would Watkins cost compared to that ? What would work better?

I'm frustrated with Moyes, but there's been some proper pony recruitment and who set the strategy for that?
Moyes?
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

People calling Bowen MOTM?

He did well first half and was largely anonymous in the second except brief spells.

Moyes trusty 65-70 substitution 😂 Cornet should have come on earlier.

Rice had his pockets picked by Buendia a couple of times. Rice had every right to have a go at him when he was laying on the floor acting like he'd been murdered.

I don't think Emery had watched much of us if he thought sitting back and trying to encourage us to press them was his game plan. There were points in the first half their players were just standing there with the ball 'inviting' us and we just stood off them.

Aguerd: not very good against Watkins in the air. Zouma: was great today.
Kehrer: got caught ball watching and to be honest I was relieved when they took Moreno off because he was their most dangerous player down the wings.
Fornals: terrible touch from that through ball.
Benrahma: can't blame him for having a go. His shots were all very central though we know he's capable of tucking them away.
Emerson: Was our best player today
Rice: More and more I think it's getting to him. I think he's struggling with captaincy. Not that I'm digging him out but he just isn't the same.
Ings: Not much to report, obviously not very good when the ball does get pumped up to him but that wasn't always the case.
Pacqueta: Getting better, but I'm not going to lie I expect more from him.
Soucek: Anonymous. Such a limited footballer. Would have preferred starting with Fornals. There was one time when he had the ball a player slipped over behind him which would have enabled him to turn and play forward, he didn't even notice just played it back. Did play a nice ball through. I think given his stats of 10 passes? And we take off Pacqueta? Was a bit of a joke.
Cornet: Rusty but I feel he will make a difference to us in the final weeks.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

So many views of the match were different to mine. Bowen put in a tremendous shift and got round the back of their defence several times. Benny, a superb penalty, some good work, but shooting was wayward. Worst of all on at least 2 occasions he was unable to play a simple 10 yard pass to put Ings through. Rice was awful, negative indecisive headless chicken. Substitutions? Paquetta was about to get sent off, Ings was knackered. Cornet coming on surprised me but it was actually very effective. First time for a while I thought we saw a decent game of football. Forest was fun, but they were woeful. I would have liked three points but we could have easily got none
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Emery going for it included bringing on Calum Chambers into midfield so he could play Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey and Chambers to chase that win.

And I don't blame him for not using Scamacca, he's got half the workrate of Ings anyway and wouldn't have exposed the space in behind.

It was a well competed and tough game, I'm not at all surprised it ended in a draw. Moyes meets Emery and it's tight with nothing really between the teams? Absolutely no shock.