⚽ UCLR162L: West Ham Utd 4-0 AEK Larnaca (16/3/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Re: West Ham United v AEK Larnaca : Match Thread

Post by Mullhull »

Want to avoid Fiorentina, AZ and Nice.

Out of the 3 I'd take Fiorentina.

Lech for us next please!
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:18 pm They were god awful over both legs. 1 of the worst I've seen us play in donkies. You can only play what's in front of you though.
Comfortably the worst team I’ve seen us play in my lifetime I think. The other teams we’ve played so far weren’t much better either.

Competition is getting harder now though sadly. :lol:
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:06 pm Fiorentina and Basel are also tough fixtures to potentially face, so at least 4 other decent Clubs left in it apart from us. On our day, if set up right, we're good enough to beat anyone left in it. Come on you Irons!
On paper, Basel are the easiest side out of the lot imo
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Pretty great evening all round.

Scamacca could have had 4 including a worldie when his outrageous shot just went past the far post and him and Bowen worked well together.

Divin got a goal and some of the kids got a run out.

Fornals could have had his leg broken but then pleaded with the ref not to send the other player off. Absolute class.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

smuts wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:40 pm Fornals could have had his leg broken but then pleaded with the ref not to send the other player off. Absolute class.
Proper West Ham, that.

If his name was Paul Ford people would be calling for him as captain and Noble's successor as our ambassador on the pitch.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Looking at our squad now, it's really strong now with Cornet, Zouma, Scamacca are getting minutes. Fab & Antonio should also be back after the international break. We just have to show it in the premiership in the next month and get away from the relegation zone.

Then really go to try to win this trophy with everything.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Last edited by Up the Junction on Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image changed to link due to NSFW content
Has liked: 4368 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by Sticky »

That photo is f*cking horrific to be fair. Whoever is responsible for that should either be shot or knighted. I bet DM would love to have that scrubbed off the net.
RaddyKovac
Has liked: 135 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by RaddyKovac »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:16 am Pathetic.
Can we sack the so-called "supporter" instead?
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Sticky wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:19 am That photo is f*cking horrific to be fair. Whoever is responsible for that should either be shot or knighted. I bet DM would love to have that scrubbed off the net.
It’s a doctored photo:

Southminster Hammer
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 109 likes

Post by Southminster Hammer »

Why on God's earth would you even think this was a good idea? And why bother taking the time to make such a childish banner 👎
Dimension Diver
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Dimension Diver »

Great to see Soucek have a good game. He’s looked really nervy for a long time and prone to awful passes, but he was pretty solid against AEK, and got a headed assist. Just needed a headed goal to be back to his best.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1935 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Southminster Hammer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:20 am Why on God's earth would you even think this was a good idea? And why bother taking the time to make such a childish banner 👎
The lyrics aren't even clever. Very disappointing.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Up the Junction wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:09 pm
Bless him :heart:
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:07 pm Nah he nodded it into the 6 yard, wasn't causing problems I don't think.
I am centre of goal in 148 BML and it looked liked Soucek's cushioned header was an assist rather than attempt on goal; unselfish :newthumb:
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

Mullhull wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:20 pm Want to avoid Fiorentina, AZ and Nice.

Out of the 3 I'd take Fiorentina.

Lech for us next please! Big ground among the remaining teams and direct flights from Stanstead
Davev
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 55 likes

Post by Davev »

Some of our support are just idiots are dont deserve good things.

Regardless of your thoughts about Moyes should still be a our manager I can't believe some of disrespect and vitriol shown to him. This is probably my biggest disappointment - that our support is so fickle and juvenile.
He's clearly a hard worker who cares about the club and has finished 6th, 7th and now taken us to a Europa SF and Europa Conference QF. Its been undoubtedly poor this year and I think if he were to have lost his job there can't be many complaints, but theres a way to behave, and that ain't it.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

I enjoyed the game last night. Like the previous week I thought they were pretty well organised defensively but had very little in attack, but only when they had 11 men. The second half last night was very comfortable but let’s not forget, the players put the graft and performances in last week and first half to earn the right to that.

Areola and the CBs looked comfortable. Johnson was ok but a bit nervous at times. I hope the second half helped him build his confidence. Cresswell had one of his best games for some time I thought.

Soucek was back to his best. Breaking up play, winning headers and running all over the pitch. Without Declan there, he stepped up really well. Good to see.

I usually love Paquetà but I thought he went for the killer pass too often last night, and gave the ball away too often. But of course he was in that position to do that probably, taking gambles to unlock their defence.

Bowen grew into the game well and it will hopefully do his confidence good. Both goals were very well taken, in proper instinctive goalscorer style.

Love Pablo. Not his best game but not his worst either. He and Lanzini made the midfield tick with some decent passing and interchanges. This was a standard of opposition where Lanzini could look at his best.

Scamacca looked good and I was disappointed he didn’t get more minutes. He’s got the attributes if we can just unlock him. He hits a ball so sweetly like few other people can. I’m not going to suggest he will ever be as good but I think he’s got similar qualities to Harry Kane in his style of play, but just needs to improve his positional sense in the box a bit.

Finally, very well done to our three youngsters who came on. What a fantastic night for them.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 340 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

If Carlsberg do European games that was it last night. Confidence building, some nice play, minutes for players coming back from injury, plus squad players, goals for strikers, young academy lad nets his first, couple of other young uns come on, and we move into the 1/4 finals at a canter.

Think we as supporters all needed that as well, top night for all.

Have everything crossed that a good night like that, 1/4 final places up for grabs that we can finally kick on and get a few wins under our belt to relieve the PL tension.
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

It was a great tonic.

Just what the doctor ordered.