Ivan Toney

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by DenziMart »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:35 am He could be both an addict AND an idiot, although I agree, not all addicts are idiots (and vice versa).
Even if he has a gambling problem, he's an idiot for betting on football games.
Every minute of every day there's other sporting events to bet on if you need that fix.
So while I can sympathise with him if he has a gambling problem (which we don't know if that's the case), I can't sympathise with him for betting on football games.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

The irony of all of this, is that the Brentford owner owns a betting company and a statistical company for gamblers.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

I'd immediately bid £30m for him now. He'd be absolutely ideal for us.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:29 am I'd immediately bid £30m for him now. He'd be absolutely ideal for us.
Yeah Davey boy reckons 8 months will give him time to settle in and get used to the PL then be a bench warmer.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

The thing is, you know brentford will find another striker for £5mil to fill in from nowhere and they will hit the ground running scoring 10 before xmas. Meanwhile we'll have brought in another £40mil striker who doesn't want to be with us and will start scoring in 2024 before leaving.
Either that or we'll loan them ings and he'll score the 10 goals by xmas instead.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

from what I've read he's banned from all football related activities until September (can't go near the training ground). So a few weeks sitting in the pub with the racing post then
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

Might ring him for a few tips.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

Can't see why he wasn't suspended as soon as the case came to light, especially with the evidence and admission.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

DublinDave wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:12 pm Should have been banned at Christmas after he pleaded guilty to the charges.
Allowing him to play on is only good for the lawyers who will be representing any club that goes down that he's scored against over the last 5 months.
The FA are a bunch of clowns...
There's only one team that could be relegated that he's scored against since Christmas - any guesses who that is?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

ToiletDuck wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:26 pm Can't see why he wasn't suspended as soon as the case came to light, especially with the evidence and admission.
Because he was clever and admitted some but denied others so basically he could carry on
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Yeah it's shocking that Toney was betting so much. I for one am outraged, so much so that I might place a bet on Brentford to go down next year. I'm not sure what betting company to use, so perhaps I will wait to watch this weekend's round of PL games a see which betting company shirt sponsor or TV football coverage programme sponsor catches my eye.
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

Whilst I agree, Toney has broken the rules and should be punished, there is a sense of double standards here. I saw these photos on a Twitter post and it got me thinking:

Betting is plastered all over the game. 'We don't want players gambling, but we are happy to endorse it to those watching'. Doesn't make sense.
alf git
Total likes: 1565 likes

Post by alf git »

If you're going to ban him for 8 months then you may as well ban him for the whole of next season. Not rocket science.
ArtieTheIron
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 62 likes

Post by ArtieTheIron »

TheGavnor wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:12 pm Betting is plastered all over the game. 'We don't want players gambling, but we are happy to endorse it to those watching'. Doesn't make sense.
Sorry but it does make sense. As much as I am with you regarding gambling adverts in football, the only way it wouldn't make sense to ban players from gambling is if it were done to protect the players from adverse effects of gambling while hanging the regular punters out to dry, which it's most certainly not. Then we could talk about double standards. As it is, players and staff are banned from gambling because they are insiders who could influence the outcome of games, and rather than limiting them to betting on other clubs' games, they aim to avoid the entire mess altogether with a blanket ban.

Again, I'm with you on the disgusting ubiquity of gambling sponsorships and ads, but there is no double standard here.
TheGavnor
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

ArtieTheIron wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:48 pm Sorry but it does make sense. As much as I am with you regarding gambling adverts in football, the only way it wouldn't make sense to ban players from gambling is if it were done to protect the players from adverse effects of gambling while hanging the regular punters out to dry, which it's most certainly not. Then we could talk about double standards. As it is, players and staff are banned from gambling because they are insiders who could influence the outcome of games, and rather than limiting them to betting on other clubs' games, they aim to avoid the entire mess altogether with a blanket ban.

Again, I'm with you on the disgusting ubiquity of gambling sponsorships and ads, but there is no double standard here.
Thank you Artie, and I respect your view. A ban comes into play soon for Gambling sponsors on kits/etc, so that for me is an ackowldegement that such an industry can cause such catapthroic issues for so many and has no place to be actively promoted by those in the game. I agree on players not being able to bet (100%) and as I said previously, he should be punished.

But how on can the FA endorse it on one hand, but frown upon it in another? If it wasn't advertised in the game like it is now, then there would no room for this debate at all.
I do whole-heartly agree with you on the sentiment of match fixing and why players should not be doing it. However, with the money that is involved and paid between professionals now, that issue will always be a potential that goes deeper than betting.
flaneur
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by flaneur »

fmgod wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 12:59 pm Because he was clever and admitted some but denied others so basically he could carry on
Sadly I don't think Toney has been very clever.

Brentford's lawyers on the other hand...
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

First of all,whether we agree with the rules or not....the rules are the rules...he broke them,seems in full knowledge of what he was doing..
So deserves a "punishment"
However,as been said we really need to know exactly what he was doing....250 bets over 4 years is nothing...thats what a part time
Saturday 50p yankee on the footie punter does.
An "addict" in that time would have had thousands of bets,and topped accounts up a hundred times...so assume he is a fun punter a rich one
nonetheless who's Saturday bet is a couple grand not a tenner...

He aint hurt anyone,brought the game into disrepute...just punted his own money.

So to me a 10 match ban would seem fair.....if however he was on the blower to some dude in Malaysia to bet on games on players getting
bookings or Brentford winning or losing,something of the sort,that's a hole different ball game... :grin: ...that's a 2 yearer...lots of difference.

Anyway 99% of punters lose over a year so some of his money is only going back into the game anyway......Sponserships.. :winker:

Like to know if he was winning or losing that could be another contributing factor.....Winning big you ask questions....Losing,
he's just another punter.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

https://www.thefa.com/news/2023/may/17/ ... ded-170523

The idiot was betting on himself and his own club. That's new information right? I know there's zero suggestion of any wrongdoing beyond the bets but it feels like he's got a bit lucky with "just" an 8 month ban!
8.3 Of those 29 bets there were 16 bets on Mr Toney’s own team to win 15 different
matches. Mr Toney played in 11 of these games and was an unused substitute in
another game. (Column 3 of the Guidelines with a sports sanction range of 0-6
months suspension);

8.4 Of those 29 bets, there were 13 bets on Mr Toney’s own team to lose in 7
different matches between 22 August 2017 and 3 March 2018. Mr Toney did not
play in any of those matches where he placed bets against his loan club as he
was not in the match squad or against his parent club as he was on loan. Of the
13 bets 11 were against Newcastle whilst Mr Toney was on loan at another club.
The other 2 bets related to a game between Wigan v Aston Villa whilst the player
was on loan at Wigan but he was not part of the squad. (Column 4 of the
Guidelines with a sports sanction range of 6 months to life suspension);

8.5 A further 15 of the 126 bets or instructions to bet were placed by Mr Toney to
score in 9 different matches all of which he played in. All of those 15 bets or
instructions to bet were initiated by Mr Toney at a time when it would not have
been public knowledge that he was starting or playing in the fixture. (Column 6
of the Guidelines with a sports sanction range of 6 months to life suspension);
Last edited by Danny's Dyer Acting on Fri May 26, 2023 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

If he is betting on his own team, let alone anything football related should be an instant two year ban plus, I'd almost say five, that's disgraceful
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

What a plonker!

I think he should count himself very lucky indeed.

Placing those type of bets, knowing the rules against doing so, would suggest he has a bit of problem with gambling, rather than simply having a flutter here or there.