Ivan Toney

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Diogenes
Has liked: 432 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by Diogenes »

IMHO, he has got off quite lightly. Professional footballers should be setting a good example, particularly when it comes to betting. I don't care about the if's but's and maybe's, a long ban was both deserved and inevitable.
DublinDave
Has liked: 2723 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Diogenes wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 9:55 pm IMHO, he has got off quite lightly. Professional footballers should be setting a good example, particularly when it comes to betting. I don't care about the if's but's and maybe's, a long ban was both deserved and inevitable.
I get that & this is in no way a defence of Toney, seriously, how stupid must he be..?
However, I agree with previous posters re the incongruity of sports betting being an offence by the FA yet having sports betting advertising as a mainstay of football.
It's a bit of an oxymoron...
The sooner betting companies logo's are off shirts & banned from football tv coverage the better...
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

He didn't bet on any of his own matches did he? If so, he hasn't affected the outcomes of any games has he?
Geoff Hurts
Has liked: 69 likes
Total likes: 252 likes

Post by Geoff Hurts »

Denbighammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 6:40 am He didn't bet on any of his own matches did he? If so, he hasn't affected the outcomes of any games has he?
There is always the danger of collusion between players. Player A asks player B to help throw a game so they can prosper from a bet placed. We will never know if any games have been affected. Just because Toney did not bet on his own matches does not mean the integrity of the game is not dimisnished.

When spread betting appered it was obvious that bets were being placed with the ball being deliberately kicked into touch for the first throw in bet.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Turn cash and time rich young men into billboards for gambling. Act shocked when one of them develops a problem.

Toney has ****ed up and probably got off a little lightly. Still would be nice if the punishment handed down by the FA had some form of support to help him avoid doing the same in the future.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Maybe instead of betting he should have racially abused or physically assaulted someone.

The devil is in the detail of course, but on the face of it 8 months (albeit not really 8 months), compared to some of the punishments handed out (or not) for other offences, seems quite strange.

If he had people betting on things that he, or his team, were then doing I can understand it. I don’t know whether that’s the case or not though.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Didn't he place something like 200 bets though?

He either knew what he was doing was wrong, and didn't care, or he's a bit thick.

I would've banned him for longer.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

And what about the games he's played in since pleading guilty? Why wasn't he immediately suspended rather than drawing it out?

Since he admitted to breaking the rules he's scored six and assisted one, in a period when he shouldn't have been playing if this is his penalty.

Ban should have been put in place immediately.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

What a silly sausage he is, arguably his best season and probably a big move on the cards for him this summer, all cocked up, perhaps due to addiction, or just being a muppet. Hopefully something good comes from it.

On the plus side for Brentford, timing is good, at least they have the summer to sort out a replacement of sorts.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

S-H wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:08 am Didn't he place something like 200 bets though?

He either knew what he was doing was wrong, and didn't care, or he's a bit thick.

I would've banned him for longer.
If he has a problem you would hope the powers that be will support him.
200 bets sounds a lot if in a short space of time.

But if its just a couple a week for a few years it's worse from a rules perspective as it sounds like someone in control who just decided to do what he wanted.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

good player but an idiot. wont affect him much will still be paid by brentford who will welcome him back as he is a good player. a move to a bigger club has been delayed;thats all.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I think people have to be careful of losing sight of precisely why professional sportspeople should not be betting on matches, or concerning themselves with lighter punishments for ostensibly greater transgressions. Financial/Investment firms etc will have certain restrictions on the purchase of stocks and shares. The reason for that is to avoid any potential insider dealing or impropriety at first instance. This would be inspite of the firm having far greater rights and abilities to trade as it wishes. Players betting on games will have a greater access to players on other teams, and joe public. They may also have awareness of injuries etc that could impact a team. Players directly betting on their own matches, well, although nothing was really proven at the standard of criminality, there seemed to have been a serious culture of it.

Also, the number of incidents was substantial, and strong bans have been handed to players under similar circumstances. Its a matter of integrity. The length of the sentence is harsh, but this is something that has been ongoing for years.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am If he has a problem you would hope the powers that be will support him.

But if its just a couple a week for a few years it's worse from a rules perspective as it sounds like someone in control who just decided to do what he wanted.
Yeah it's hard to know without context.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am good player but an idiot.
If he has, or had, a genuine gambling addiction, he's not an idiot.
DenziMart
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by DenziMart »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:22 am If he has a problem you would hope the powers that be will support him.

He admitted to 232 separate breaches of the rule between Feb 2017 and Jan 2021. Basically a bet or two per week.
Frankly, as a footballer, if you want to bet then you have horses, rugby, motor racing, cricket - loads of options.
They know they're not allowed to bet on football matches and they know the consequences.
He needs to just suck it up and deal with the consequences.
No sympathy from me.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

This may be a stupid question but how did the FA know he was placing bets? Did someone grass him up?

Always wondered how they get caught.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Very hard to understand without context. Does he have a problem? Was it a couple of bets a week at £5 a bet? Did he have any insider knowledge? However, he admitted betting whilst being a footballer and knows it against the rules.

How did he get caught though? I don't know what the % (or number) of people go into a bookies anymore as opposed to having a betting app on your phone. Having a betting app on your phone it must be quite hard to "get" caught betting or breaking the rules.

Feel for the poor sods, who do have a problem, and can't really afford to bet yet the advertising (web, tv, sporting clubs sponsorship etc etc) for these numerous betting companies are everywhere now.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

WCpete wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:19 pm Put in a cheeky under market value bid for him now and we'll have our January window signing in place.
10/1 to join West Ham ....

Bet Naaaaah .
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

YorksHammer wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 9:32 am If he has, or had, a genuine gambling addiction, he's not an idiot.
He could be both an addict AND an idiot, although I agree, not all addicts are idiots (and vice versa).
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

claretandblue82 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:26 am This may be a stupid question but how did the FA know he was placing bets? Did someone grass him up?

Always wondered how they get caught.
..probably one of the VAR officials he was working with