Ivan Toney

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

To bet on yourself is one thing, to bet on the opposition is quite another.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65721139

Ban reduced as has been diagnosed with a gambling addiction
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

With respect , and I haven’t read through the entirety of the 8 page thread but

Isn’t he just amazingly stupid / thoughtless / naive / “ untouchable “ for getting caught
Surely he could have dropped a bullseye a week maybe ( whatever the figure ) to a mate to bet on his behalf
Toney cannot be the only player who is betting ( this way ) , Shirley ?
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Trippier got ten weeks for in his own whatsapp group with close mates, where he didn't even really do anything wrong, this is a proposerous length of ban for Toney, watch some League Two footballer get a two year ban for ten bets

After placing one bet, Hawley sent Trippier a message reading: "6/1 Athletico (sic) Madrid", to which Trippier responded with three laughing emojis.
Also See:

On July 12 Trippier texted Hawley: "It's happening", shortly before Hawley placed two more bets on the move to the Spanish side.

On July 14 another friend, Matthew Brady, met Trippier at a wildlife park and later texted to ask: "Shall I lump on you going there?". Trippier later said: "Lump on if you want mate."
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Is there a more bollockless organisation in the world of sports than the FA

Absolute freak show
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

JLCABA wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:12 am With respect , and I haven’t read through the entirety of the 8 page thread but

Isn’t he just amazingly stupid / thoughtless / naive / “ untouchable “ for getting caught
Surely he could have dropped a bullseye a week maybe ( whatever the figure ) to a mate to bet on his behalf
Toney cannot be the only player who is betting ( this way ) , Shirley ?
They don't mention how he got caught but it looks like he did the above and had accounts in his own name. Completely uneducated opinion but that suggests someone with a problem to me.

As for others, this is Toney's cousin. Wonder how many of those bets were for Ivan?
23 January 2023

MISCONDUCT IN RELATION TO BETTING
Nathan Hicks

Breach of FA Rule E8 – Misconduct in respect of 2,753 bets placed on football matches between 12 March 2017 to 22 November 2022.
HammerPDC
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 1084 likes

Post by HammerPDC »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:15 am They don't mention how he got caught but it looks like he did the above and had accounts in his own name. Completely uneducated opinion but that suggests someone with a problem to me.
It’s one thing having a gambling problem, it’s another betting on something that you will have a hand in, that’s just fixing. The FA should take a leaf out of the ICC’s book and the ban should be extended to years. It just calls the whole PL product into disrepute.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

He clearly has a problem then, so he needs help, and educating, which I'm sure will be forthcoming.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

So he never bet on his own team negatively when he was playing? Only on himself to score and his own team to win? I’m not saying that’s acceptable but the opposite would have been far far worse
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I remenber reading about Stan Bowles and his gambling addiction.

He attended gamblers anonymous but got booted out because he made a bet with the bloke next to him that he could kick the habit. :grin:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

So the guy literally has a problem that should be treated as an illness (if his sentence was dropped due to being an addict, he by default has an illness)... but still being made an example of?

A real shame and poor reflection on those who are issuing the punishments.

I know people don't like to classify addictions as illnesses but they are and should be treated as such.

The rules are ****ed up if they don't account for this.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

very true mate
Danny's Dyer Acting

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:47 am So the guy literally has a problem that should be treated as an illness (if his sentence was dropped due to being an addict, he by default has an illness)... but still being made an example of?

I know people don't like to classify addictions as illnesses but they are and should be treated as such.

Reflects badly on the whole process that the only outcome is a ban and no attempt by the FA to push him towards treatment.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

fmgod wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:14 am Trippier got ten weeks for in his own whatsapp group with close mates, where he didn't even really do anything wrong, this is a proposerous length of ban for Toney, watch some League Two footballer get a two year ban for ten bets
Do you think the ban should be longer?
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Force him to bet on Spuds to win games that will learn him :grin:
S-H

Post by S-H »

There's a fine line here though isn't there?

If they were to drop his ban altogether because he's an addict, how many others caught gambling will exploit that for their own gain?

Regardless of whether he's an addict or not there still needs to be a consequence for his actions, along with some form of treatment and rehabilitation.

You wouldn't let off an alcoholic for drink driving, just because he was an addict.
Danny's Dyer Acting

S-H wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am There's a fine line here though isn't there?

If they were to drop his ban altogether because he's an addict, how many others caught gambling will exploit that for their own gain?

Regardless of whether he's an addict or not there still needs to be a consequence for his actions, along with some form of treatment and rehabilitation.

You wouldn't let off an alcoholic for drink driving, just because he was an addict.
Completely. He should be banned and I think the info that's come out today suggests he's got off lightly in a lot of people's eyes.

There's a huge opportunity missed by the FA to focus on the rehabilitation side as well though. Hopefully Brentford are doing a good job there.
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

S-H wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:56 am There's a fine line here though isn't there?

Not sure the ban should be retracted.
But I don't think he should be banned from training with the team.

If he has got a problem the isolation and extra free time isnt gonna help
DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:47 am So the guy literally has a problem that should be treated as an illness (if his sentence was dropped due to being an addict, he by default has an illness)... but still being made an example of?

Even worse that they have banned him from any football activities, like training with his (team-)mates. The last thing you want to see addicts to, is being pushed into isolation (again).
S-H

Post by S-H »

Danny's Dyer Acting wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:00 pm Hopefully Brentford are doing a good job there.
You can almost guarantee that they are.
El brooko79 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:00 pm Not sure the ban should be retracted.
But I don't think he should be banned from training with the team.

If he has got a problem the isolation and extra free time isnt gonna help
That's a very good point.