Ivan Toney

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

smuts
Has liked: 1500 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Re: Ivan Toney

Post by smuts »

That I totally agree with r99c.

Not letting him train with team mates is completely wrong.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

r99c wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Speaking as someone with a gambling problem...

The ban from training with teammates though? Southgate is bang on, it's a joke.
First things first mate, big respect for having the balls to post your issue on here. I know exactly how hard it is to call out a personal issue.

Second thing, yes - I agree with you completely. Of course he should be punished and/or banned but what he should not be is cast aside like a piece of ****.

The UK (and most countries worldwide) are horrendous at rehabilitation of offenders. It's why there are repeat crimes by the same people over and over again. Hopefully, some of the comments by Southgate et all will change that.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1410 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

1895Hammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:32 pm The FA have to discourage betting by participating players, and they have little option beyond a significant ban to send that message. However in parallel they should be insisting Toney undertakes some form of therapy, he suffers from an addiction and needs support. Maybe they’d have been better issuing a reduced ban on the grounds he undergoes proper treatment and goes public with that to push others to seek help?
I would have thought this was the way to handle it, to be honest - there's no reason why a footballer can't have a bet on horse racing, darts, snooker, synchronised swimming etc, and it's a relatively non-football issue if they have a gambling problem and aren't betting on football itself. But there are fairly clear rules which are there for integrity reasons which Toney chose to break - yes, through his addiction, but still chose to break.

A punishment with the appropriate support to help him deal with the issue - and indeed, as part of the sentence reduction - feels like a better way to go here.
Patsy Belgium
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 546 likes

Post by Patsy Belgium »

First thing you do when caught drinks/drugs on the transport system claim you have an addiction.
Possibly save your job.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

PF. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:50 pm Second thing, yes - I agree with you completely. Of course he should be punished and/or banned but what he should not be is cast aside like a piece of ****.
He is a 60m+ asset, nobody is going to cast him aside.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Patsy Belgium wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:59 pm First thing you do when caught drinks/drugs on the transport system claim you have an addiction.
Possibly save your job.
It's kind of worrying that this happens frequently enough that there is a plan of action in place to get round it.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:10 pm(and lets be honest, drink driving isn't about protecting others more than the person drinking and driving)
Absolute nonsense
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

SammyLeeWasOffside wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:02 pm He is a 60m+ asset, nobody is going to cast him aside.
Being banned from the training ground is being cast aside.

Edit: If what I’ve read is accurate, anyway.
SammyLeeWasOffside

PF. wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:51 pm Being banned from the training ground is being cast aside.

Edit: If what I’ve read is accurate, anyway.
He isn't the FAs asset though. Brentford won't cast him aside
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

r99c wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:43 pm Speaking as someone with a gambling problem, it's extremely difficult to not lapse/relapse. Therefore to also ban Toney from training/behind the scenes stuff is a disgrace. People need support. What he does in training etc won't make any difference to the competition.

If anyone has any questions around gambling problems etc and the brain chemistry etc around it, feel free to drop me a DM.

That said, the ban from actually playing is fine. He could gamble on other stuff if he wanted rather than football where inside information would be helpful. However, in horse racing inside info is rife and it's fine, but then we get into another argument about whether bookmakers should be allowed to ban winners etc. Personally, I think the football ban is fine. Deterrents are obviously required for this kind of thing.

The ban from training with teammates though? Southgate is bang on, it's a joke.
Massive respect mate

Fair enough :newthumb:
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

James P wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:32 pm Absolute nonsense
Yep...i mis articulated what i meant and has an isnt in there instead of an is.

Anyway, point remains... laws around drink driving are not comparable to PL / FA / FIFA rules about gambling
ironside58
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 93 likes

Post by ironside58 »

He's just a very silly boy.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

westlondonhammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 7:06 pm Yep...i mis articulated what i meant and has an isnt in there instead of an is.

Anyway, point remains... laws around drink driving are not comparable to PL / FA / FIFA rules about gambling
Fair play :newthumb:
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

smuts wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:45 pm That I totally agree with r99c.

Not letting him train with team mates is completely wrong.
The same team mates that he was betting against..I hope not
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Just a shame Jim Bowen has departed this mortal coil.

Could have stepped into the room as part of Ivan’s defence team. Stood before the disciplinary panel and uttered the words. ‘Now take your time and listen to Toney’