Learning to cook

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hummer_I_mean_Hammer
Has liked: 938 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Re: Learning to cook

Post by Hummer_I_mean_Hammer »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:38 am How do you make fresh gnocchi out of a packet? :smiler:
I tried once to make gnocchi.

Looked great until it went into the water pan, then resulted in a large pan of what could only be described as wall paper paste. :crylol:
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Shabu wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm Talking of food, I have invented (well it's new to me) a new breakfast.

Crumpet with Marmite, a tangy cream cheese (it's mature cheddar with a hint of Parmesan), crunchy peanut butter & a poached egg on top.

It's absolutely delicious.

What do you think?
And I thought Benrahma, Antonio and Fornals was the most love it or hate it combo possible in one go.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:38 am How do you make fresh gnocchi out of a packet? :smiler:
You know what I mean. It was soft pasta and not hard that needs simmering for 12 minutes or so.
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 719 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

btajim - mcfc wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:51 pm It was soft pasta and not hard that needs simmering for 12 minutes or so.
Ummm ... gnocchi isn't pasta mate. Gnocchi is a type of dumpling made with potato, flour, egg and salt. If it looked like pasta then you're probably talking about egg pasta which usually takes around 4-5mins.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Fantastic thread with some great links , keep them coming . :newthumb:

My interest in cooking stemmed from the days of Keith Floyd and Gary Rhodes who both championed British Food and ingredients from the outset - my first ever dish was Floyd's ' Quiche Lorraine ' - Antonio Carluccio , Gennaro Contaldo and Anna Del Conte got me interested in Italian cuisine - early Ken Hom , Chinese - Sarah Brown and Cranks were my go-to books on Vegetarian cookery - I've collected cookery books from the early 80s which encompass most countries and continents but eventually I had to slow down due to lack of space - nowadays I find the internet a great source for recipes but I'll still treat myself to the odd new book if it catches my eye .
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Greatest Cockney Rip Off wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:56 pm Ummm ... gnocchi isn't pasta mate. Gnocchi is a type of dumpling made with potato, flour, egg and salt. If it looked like pasta then you're probably talking about egg pasta which usually takes around 4-5mins.
It had gnocchi written on the packet!
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I love a bit of Keith Floyd. The original celebrity cook who didn't take cooking too seriously,

Anyway tonights dinner was Coq au Vin in the slow cooker. Prepped and kicked off this morning, go to football have a couple of pints. Come home and all done.