The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Polaroid
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 222 likes

Re: The KUMB Ancient History Corner

Post by Polaroid »

I's the son of a Cornish man (also a South London lass) but yous racist basders are geddin' me goat and makin' me all teasy like. No need forrit.
Just be all relaaaxed, breath a liddle, tune in and you might just learn a liddle bit.

Slow folk like us might not get there the quickest but we darn sure gonna see all the sights 'tween here and there.

Shall Trelawny Live?
Or shall Trelawny Die?
Here's twenty thousand Cornish men
Will know the reason why.

Now lettus give a finishin' touch to TOMAS's sea shanty...

We fish all day and we fish all night
We've got no time to piss or shyte
We're Cornish fisher folk , ah ...

We fish all day and we fish all night
We've got no time to piss or shyte
We're Cornish fisher folk are we
Now eff of back to your own County

Love and peace from Devon one and all :grin:
woodgreenspur
Has liked: 93 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by woodgreenspur »

Shabu wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:58 pm The Cornish are revolting....

Planning on visiting here in June.
Staying in St Ives ,but want to spend a day here as well.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2691 likes
Total likes: 1787 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Anyone here done any metal detecting ?

Currently re-watching the excellent Detectorists series - you can learn quite a bit about Saxon Essex from Andy and Lance and apparently Essex is one of the best counties to find treasure .

https://www.essexlive.news/news/essex-n ... es-7779666
stouffer
Total likes: 40 likes

i

Post by stouffer »

I love all things Saxon,for instance local place names.
Canvey Island means the island of Cannas people.The word Island is superfluous,as the y in Canvey means island,as in Ely,the island of eels.
Benfleet means wood and water-Beam fleot.Epping Forest may have stretched as far as South East Essex at one time.
Thundersley means Thunors Grove.Thunor is the Saxon version of Thor,after who we get Thursday,Thunors Daeg.Thundersley would therefore be a holy area.
Vange means Fen district,origionally,Fenge and stretched to the Mar Dyke.The ge is district and is the equivalant of y as in Surrey.The southern district of the Middle Saxons.
Sorry for the bore fest!
The Old Man of Storr

Stouffer -

You'll have to try harder to bore us , mate - I'd describe your post as educational rather than boring .

Thanks for that .
Metal Hammer
Has liked: 1193 likes
Total likes: 936 likes

Re: i

Post by Metal Hammer »

stouffer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:06 pm I love all things Saxon
Wheels of Steel is a great track :newthumb:
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Stouffer thanks for that! Place names in Britain tell a story for sure.
The Old Man of Storr

vietnammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:16 pm Stouffer thanks for that! Place names in Britain tell a story for sure.
Some get changed over time though , to the Victors the spoils and all that .
Tenbury
Has liked: 729 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by Tenbury »

woodgreenspur wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:46 am Planning on visiting here in June.
Staying in St Ives ,but want to spend a day here as well.
Used to live just up the road (at Tresowes). Marazion beach is really good, but will be heaving in June. The King's Arms is decent.
[Back up towards Helston, do a right at Rosudgeon follow the track down to Prussia Cove..... genuine Cornwall, smugglers /etc..]
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

This really stirs my monkey. Example; Bakewell Church, like many other 'church' sites, has visible evidence of occupation from different eras. Wot happens is old places get demolished and the rubble is used as foundations for whatever 'new culture' takes over. Bakewell has evidence of Viking (or Norse) burial stones signifying the occupation of the deceased. The one I recall is carved keys showing a locksmith. The mind-blowing part are 'stele' carved in a Norse (maybe Saxon?) style, one showing the Norse Ygasstral (tree of life) with a squirrel (yes!) being the intermediary between life and after-life, and another in exactly the same style showing St.Peter as the intermediary. It shows the Christianisation of the settler culture. York Minster goes back further into Christanised Romano- British culture.

Up the 'Ammers.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

The Old Man of Storr wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:36 am I know a bloke who can get us some stripey t-shirts , we could form a band and hang around quaysides .
Will you perform at one of the big fishing ports, or will you sing in a minor quay?
Greatest Cockney Rip Off
Has liked: 337 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by Greatest Cockney Rip Off »

Metal Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:04 pm Wheels of Steel is a great track :newthumb:
I prefer Strong Arm of the Law personally :coolas:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

stouffer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:06 pm Epping Forest may have stretched as far as South East Essex at one time.
Hence Forest Gate?

Sorry - just realised that would have been south west in the county (before the creation of Greater London).
stouffer
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by stouffer »

The name Forest Gate is fairly late,although it is the start of Epping Forest in the southern end.
A forest in this country is an old legal term,12th or 13th century,and includes areas that don't necessarily have trees,and was used for hunting.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Interesting :newthumb:
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

vietnammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:32 pm This really stirs my monkey. Example; Bakewell Church, like many other 'church' sites, has visible evidence of occupation from different eras. Wot happens is old places get demolished and the rubble is used as foundations for whatever 'new culture' takes over. Bakewell has evidence of Viking (or Norse) burial stones signifying the occupation of the deceased. The one I recall is carved keys showing a locksmith. The mind-blowing part are 'stele' carved in a Norse (maybe Saxon?) style, one showing the Norse Ygasstral (tree of life) with a squirrel (yes!) being the intermediary between life and after-life, and another in exactly the same style showing St.Peter as the intermediary. It shows the Christianisation of the settler culture. York Minster goes back further into Christanised Romano- British culture.
There's a castle near my mates place in southern Spain in a little town called Alora.

The original castle is pre Christian. Then it became Christian, then Moorish, then Christian again.

Each one built their own additions.

https://goo.gl/maps/eLvjmHGbWQ1647gy8
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver

Post by vietnammer »

Indeedy! Got a mate retirred in Competa (must have been Islamic kingdom of Grenada) and a Catholic church there has a tower which they show as being an Islamic 'Muezzin' (?) in origin.
Have some 'footage' on me phone of locals singing Flamenco, and it sounds like an Islamic Azan. Wish I could post it on here.
Shabu
Has liked: 4190 likes
Total likes: 2054 likes

Post by Shabu »

vietnammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:44 pm Indeedy! Got a mate retirred in Competa (must have been Islamic kingdom of Grenada) and a Catholic church there has a tower which they show as being an Islamic 'Muezzin' (?) in origin.
Have some 'footage' on me phone of locals singing Flamenco, and it sounds like an Islamic Azan. Wish I could post it on here.
You can. If you post it to a social media page then copy address it should work.
The Old Man of Storr

I love visiting castles or some remnants of old communities like Leitir Fura , Boreraig and Suisnish here on Skye -
A few years back I bought ' The Mediaeval Castles Of Skye and Lochalsh ' ** by Roger Miket and David Roberts and ' Castle ' by Marc Morris [ I have every book that Morris has ever written and I've chatted to him via email in the past ] - I find myself thinking how the peoples of the time actually survived , which food sources were available , what did they do all day etc etc , I find it all fascinating .

** It's the way ' Medieval ' is spelt on the book cover .
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 563 likes
Total likes: 920 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

Skye must be a unique place historically where Picts, Scots (AKA Gaels) and the Norse all collided and swapped control of the island over the years. If I remember right it was still nominally part of Norway until 1266!

It was the very western edge of Pictish civilisation, the northern tip of Dalriada, a Kingdom which stretched from northern Ulster through Argyll and Inner Hebrides, a Viking lordship when they arrived after the 8th Century AD, and then all came together in Norse-Scot-Pict mashup of Lord of the Isles.

A fascinating place I keep promising myself I will visit someday, would love a cycle round those remote coastal roads.