⚽ West Ham Utd 1-0 Southampton: (2/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by JohnnyLyall »

I feel their pain losing to us.... We would have felt the same losing to them.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:10 am He was played in early on and the ball hit his shin and bounced about 15 yards in front of him. What I did like is that there were a few occasions when he could've dived in, Caleta-Car style, and he didn't. Undoubtedly a good player, he's just got to find his feet.
I think Caleta-Car dives in to disguise his true intention of having a niggle. That one on Bowen in the first half where he somehow avoided a booking was a blatant "reducer"- knee to Bowen's thigh that would stiffen up after the half-time break.
Moyes would have drlled it into our lot to avoid giving away free kicks in our half cos of the damage Ward-Prowse can do with crosses and shots.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2485 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

From what I've seen of Caleta-Car I think we dodged a bullet there. Aguerd looks streets ahead of him.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

61dicksey wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:49 pm The opposition view was spot on by most of them We were **** but they were shittier , cannot argue with that.
The interesting thing is we seem to be good at pulling teams down to our level. The like of Villa looked poor against us and yet they have some of the strongest form in the league.
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 300 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:14 pm The interesting thing is we seem to be good at pulling teams down to our level. The like of Villa looked poor against us and yet they have some of the strongest form in the league.
To be fair, Villa have looked poor every time i've seen them under Emery. They have turned into the masters of the smash and grab
El brooko79
Has liked: 3020 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

sendô wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:13 pm From what I've seen of Caleta-Car I think we dodged a bullet there. Aguerd looks streets ahead of him.
Yep there was lots of cries of just pay the £20+ million for him in the widow but we wanted a loan...

Then he ends up going to Saints for about £6m or something.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Hammer in Hornchurch wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:22 pm We finished 6th and 7th in the last two seasons with him in our PL CM. He isn’t the problem.
The Brazilian is.
Jesus mate - Paqetta was the top player for tackles, interceptions out of all the players in C and B - what game were you watching? For a bloke who can;'t tackle I saw a whole lot more commitment from him than I did potato salad.
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1071 likes

Post by pezza20 »

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:25 pm They are decisions born of fear IMO. We sat deep yesterday due to fear of their press and pace. He then feels he has to pick Soucek as an out ball.

It worked as they didn't bother us too much but again it came at the expense of our forward play. It worked yesterday, but so many times this season it hasn't.
Mate Saints are bottom, are basically ****. They had a novice striker who was abysmal, and Walcott as the other makeshift striker, they played three at the back because they knew dithering dave would play Ings up top all on his lonesome and played 5 in midfield to overwhelm us.

Everyone I have talked to was amazed given he had a full squad to pick from, why he played the system that has served us so poorly all season against a team we could and should with the players we have, and the 'form' we are in, beat comfortably, they are not bottom for a reason after all ... play on the front foot, play it quickly through the lines, get quality ball into the box - we did nothing of that all game, and that is down to tactics not players lacking in confidence, maybe its lack of confidence in the ridiculous tactics they are being asked to carry out.

Wg=hen we press from the front we do it with 3 players when it should be all 5 ... just a waste of Ings' effort running around chasing three players who pass around him whilst Bowen comes inside and the ball is lofted to the player he in fact should be closing down !! Its all rather pathetic and on Wednesday I fear a good thrashing if we decide to play the same old lunatic 999 tactics he is employing.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

pezza20 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:41 pm Mate Saints are bottom, are basically ****. They had a novice striker who was abysmal, and Walcott as the other makeshift striker, they played three at the back because they knew dithering dave would play Ings up top all on his lonesome and played 5 in midfield to overwhelm us.
Sadly some fans have been conditioned to accept what we serve up like yesterday, regardless of how poor the opposition are. It's happened all season long.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:14 pm The interesting thing is we seem to be good at pulling teams down to our level. The like of Villa looked poor against us and yet they have some of the strongest form in the league.
That's nothing to be proud of. We should be raising our level, not dragging others down to our low standards.
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 pm Sadly some fans have been conditioned to accept what we serve up like yesterday, regardless of how poor the opposition are. It's happened all season long.
Moyesball has definitely lowered the bar of expectations this season..
'stone hammer
Has liked: 764 likes
Total likes: 535 likes

Post by 'stone hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:08 pm Sadly some fans have been conditioned to accept what we serve up like yesterday, regardless of how poor the opposition are. It's happened all season long.
Been going on a bit longer than that, hasn't it? The last 20 years spring to mind.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I think our play would change a hell of a lot just by swapping Soucek for either Fornals or Lanzini. Is mind boggling what Moyes thinks Soucek brings in that role. He needs to be leading the press and linking between the lines in that role and he’s abysmal at both
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3090 likes

Post by MB »

pezza20 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:41 pm Mate Saints are bottom, are basically ****.
And nowhere did I say I agree with Moyes' approach. I'm saying why I think he does what he does.

Whether I agree or not it got three points. It won't on Wednesday and I imagine he'll tweak it as they offer a different problem. I probably won't agree with that approach either...
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3090 likes

Post by MB »

Whufc06 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:21 pm I think our play would change a hell of a lot just by swapping Soucek for either Fornals or Lanzini. Is mind boggling what Moyes thinks Soucek brings in that role. He needs to be leading the press and linking between the lines in that role and he’s abysmal at both
Alone it won't. The team needs to move 15 yards up the pitch and press properly.

Stick Lanzini or Fornals in that set up yesterday and they'd have been having a tea party with Ings while the game passed them by.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

I've been backing Moyes on most things, considered some elements out of his control and criticised him where I think he's been naive.

I have to say he is doing Soucek absolutely no favours at all playing him in the no 10 position. He just doesn't have the technical ability for the role. There is less time on the ball as an attacker in that position than there is playing as a holding midfielder.

Soucek is better in a deeper position but not needed right now with Rice and Paquetta playing those positions.

Paquetta struggled further forward when first joining. Rice would also probably struggle in that postion. The position belongs to a Benrahma, Fornals or Lanzini.

We have the players in our squad who are suited to the position. So the manager needs to have a rethink.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

And I should also add, the jeers for when Soucek was coming off were completely embarassing. How **** must he be feeling having to try play a position that he's not comfortable in. Guy has been off it but ffs give him a break.
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

IronZ-79 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:58 pm And I should also add, the jeers for when Soucek was coming off were completely embarassing. How **** must he be feeling having to try play a position that he's not comfortable in. Guy has been off it but ffs give him a break.
Probably more in Moyes direction who has hung him out to dry.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

JohnnyLyall wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:10 pm Probably more in Moyes direction who has hung him out to dry.

No I doubt it
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1803 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:33 pm Alone it won't. The team needs to move 15 yards up the pitch and press properly.

Stick Lanzini or Fornals in that set up yesterday and they'd have been having a tea party with Ings while the game passed them by.
Do you want to press high with Walcott loitering? There was a recent game we tried to play a high line and it completely unravelled.