⚽ West Ham Utd 1-0 Southampton: (2/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 111 likes
Total likes: 138 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by JohnnyLyall »

mushy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:45 pm This is another decent plan.
In recent weeks (up until Sunday) both Benrhama and Bowen were playing closer to the striker and not hugging the touch line as much.
Who would you drop for Cornet?
Soucek.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mushy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:42 pm You may have done based on the Brazilian factor but five minutes of research will have told you we got exactly the player he already is.
Well after just 5 minutes of research back in the summer it would suggest he should be scoring and assisting more than he already has here. 189 games for Clubs he scored 35 goals and 21 assists, on top of the everything else he does, as well as also scoring 8 goals and 3 assists in 40 appearances for Brazil.

So far at West Ham he's scored 1 penalty, 1 goal from a corner and assisted just 3 times in all competitions for us in 27 appearances.

As an all action midfielder, you'd expect him to be producing more going forward, although I can understand why he hasn't considering how we play.
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Ethanadict wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:00 pm

Personally that would be my team for Bournemouth, but not Newcastle. I’d keep Tomas in for the barcodes.
To do what?

We need to play through the press, he gives the ball away constantly stopping any attacking impetus.. He's been a passenger in the league games he doesn't have the technical ability needed.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:13 pm Well after just 5 minutes of research back in the summer it would suggest he should be scoring and assisting more than he already has here. 189 games for Clubs he scored 35 goals and 21 assists, on top of the everything else he does, as well as also scoring 8 goals and 3 assists in 40 appearances for Brazil.

So far at West Ham he's scored 1 penalty, 1 goal from a corner and assisted just 3 times in all competitions for us in 27 appearances.

As an all action midfielder, you'd expect him to be producing more going forward, although I can understand why he hasn't considering how we play.
But he was dire for AC Milan, his biggest gig so far. Over two seasons there he scored just 1 goal in 44 games and was branded an expensive flop. He repaired his reputation somewhat at Lyon but still needs to prove he can hack it in a more competitive league.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

JohnnyLyall wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:11 pmSoucek.
An attacker in for a DM?
Sounds like our defence would get ripped apart for me. Who would be your CM's?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ironing Board wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:22 pm But he was dire for AC Milan, his biggest gig so far. Over two seasons there he scored just 1 goal in 44 games and was branded an expensive flop.
And he clearly should have done a lot more there too. That doesn't mean the output is acceptable for the Player the respective Clubs are buying. Yet we are being made to think this is our lot, what we see is what we get from Paqueta currently...
El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

mushy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:26 pm An attacker in for a DM?
Does Soucek stop us getting ripped apart playing as far forward as he has been?

He made more fouls on Sunday than actual tackles and won 2 headers. That is no longer enough to counteract his lack of ability on the ball.

The best our CM has looked since the WC imo is away at Newcastle with Paqueta and Rice in a 2. That was with a back 5.
Now we have a back 4 - adding Fornals/Benrahma into a more advanced CM role will give us more numbers to press and someone who can use the ball.

I really don't understand where this "Soucek stops us from getting bullied/ripped apart stuff comes from". Seen it a few times.
JohnnyLyall

Post by JohnnyLyall »

But he hasn't been playing as a DM he's been practically playing off Ings. He's touched the ball about 20 times in our last 2 games, won no tackles and won a couple of headed duels. Not really going to be missing much..

Dec and Paqueta will be our CM... I would rather us lose having a go
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Against Southampton, and to a degree Villa too... I'd have considered Cornet, Lanzini or Fornals over Soucek too.
Not against Newcastle though.

Against Southampton, we could have gone at them with Antonio, Ings, Bowen, Benrahma and Cornet and still not conceded.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Seen a report online that Nolan has given Soucek advice on how to handle being jeered off on Sunday. I don’t recall that reaction - in fact I was a bit surprised at how many clapped Soucek off (was a few of us in 256 just for effort as it wasn’t his fault he wasn’t subbed earlier). Anyone else? Did I miss it the negative response somehow as I sit in the upper tier? I know it can happen, I still feel sad for the time Lanzini was subbed pre-Covid but didn’t think it happened Sunday.
Colours never run

I didn't hear him being jeered off.
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Plenty of the sarcastic cheering that's greeted his departure a couple of times this season. Doesn't matter whether people think they're aiming it at the manager, it's going to impact the player.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 pm I didn't hear him being jeered off.
You could hear it on TV but they play silly beggars with the crowd noise.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 664 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 pm I didn't hear him being jeered off.
He was definitely jeered off

But I think it was more aimed at Moyes for selecting him.

Soucek is crap, but I do feel for him.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

He’s Brazilian, so even in a game where he won the midfield for us, Paquetá is going to get criticism.

One major reason I’m desperate to stay up is seeing him in a second season, settled, used right and, hopefully, with a more confident team around him.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Colours never run wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:13 pm Well after just 5 minutes of research back in the summer it would suggest he should be scoring and assisting more than he already has here. 189 games for Clubs he scored 35 goals and 21 assists, on top of the everything else he does, as well as also scoring 8 goals and 3 assists in 40 appearances for Brazil.

Before he joined, what I read about him was that he is a James Maddison type of player.