⚽ West Ham Utd 1-0 Southampton: (2/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by El brooko79 »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:32 pm Yeah, each to their own regarding xg so whatever works for you is fine. I could see it with my own eyes though that they had the more clear cut chances compared to us.
Even xG showed out most of ours was made up of set pieces and half chances.

xG is a useful/interesting guide.
But I think we would all agree one 50/50 chance of scoring is more preferable to five 1 in 10 nothing chances.

Yet xG would say 0.5 for both.
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:39 pm Wasn't it playing as a makeshift Centre Forward?
A number 10 surely...
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

El brooko79 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm That doesn't mean it's the easiest game we can face at all.
I think it's the easiest game we have. The issue is how important of a match it actually is. If we were sitting 10th, I think this would be widely accepted as our easiest fixture, with little consequence if we ****ed it up. In our current position, it's the complete opposite. I still think this is the easiest fixture we have. Southampton have popped up with some results, but they are a poor team overall and we are at home. If we were doing this as hole index on a golf course, this for me is the short par 5 with no water ranked 18.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

JohnnyLyall wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:42 pm A number 10 surely...
It was weird, it gave me Ian Pearce vibes when we used to play him up top when we literally had no other Steiker available during that fateful season. And yet we still had Ings, Bowen as well as Scamacca and Cornet on the bench to do that role. :eh:
I am Legend
Has liked: 1600 likes
Total likes: 1656 likes

Post by I am Legend »

------------------Areola------------------
Kehrer----Zouma--Aguerd---Emerson
------------------Rice---------------------
-----------Fornals---Paqueta-----------
Bowen-------Scamacca-----Benrahma

Ings, Cornet on 2nd half if not leading. Maybe Ings and Luca up top.
Antonio on last 20 to terrorise their tired defenders.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:40 pm Even xG showed out most of ours was made up of set pieces and half chances.

xG is a useful/interesting guide.
But I think we would all agree one 50/50 chance of scoring is more preferable to five 1 in 10 nothing chances.

Yet xG would say 0.5 for both.
It's why I don't personally pay too much attention to it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:15 pm Soucek is nailed on to start on Sunday, reagrdless of whether he deserves to or not
Agreed. I can't see anything other than the same XI who started against Villa starting again here. I can't see Coufal coming straight back in, even if he is fit and I can't see Moyes being remotely adventurous from the outset.

This one is crying out for someone more attacking and dynamic in behind Ings, but it just won't happen from the outset.
For me, Cornet, Benrahma and Bowen in behind Ings would be the way to go... but Moyes will not do that unless we are chasing a goal. Even then it is doubtful.

We need a big afternoon from Bowen here. Perraud at left back for Southampton seems to be consistently the lowest ranked player on the pitch.

Southampton looked to have switched to a 442 in the last game against Tottenham, but made two subs in the first half an hour and a further 3 subs in the 70th min... I'm not even sure they know what formation they were using by the end of the game. But it worked.

I can't see them coming to us and giving it a go in a 442, if they do, I think we could rip them apart. Our middle three will be too strong and our wingers will love being 1v1 with their full backs.
Last edited by sutts07 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:42 pm I think it's the easiest game we have. The issue is how important of a match it actually is.
OK but he said easiest game of the season.
With the stakes, form and pressure I'd disagree.

I bet we have an easier game. But that would be after a bit of confidence.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 2034 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:03 pm OK but he said easiest game of the season.

Yh of course, there are factors that can change that. For example the opportunity to play someone 'on the beach'. At the moment though, that looks pretty unlikely. The bottom 9 are all in a scrap and anyone above that can make Europe. So for now, I think it's the easiest fixture we have, but easiest of the season? Not really a comment I'd agree with as I don't know how you can judge that tbh as it needs a line up of factors. For example. 15/16, the easiest fixture we had was Watford at home. However, that needed them to be safe and in an FA Cup semi final for them to not give a ****. However, it's not what our easiest fixture woud've been when they needed points and were only in round 4...

Perhaps using the word easiest is wrong full stop. Perhaps, our best opportunity to get 3 points.
hammerheadjim
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by hammerheadjim »

sutts07 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:58 pm

We need a big afternoon from Bowen here. Perraud at left back for Southampton seems to be consistently the lowest ranked player on the pitch.

Also, 2 of his 5 Southampton goals have come against us... :hush:
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:32 pm Benny's chance was more than a 0.1, whatever the stats claim. With his skill he should have at least worked the keeper.
it was a long cross from the right that he had to take on the volley from a fairly wide angle. that was about a 1 in 10 chance of scoring. Should he have got it on target? Yes. BUt that still doesn't mean it was an easy chance because if he had managed to get it on target it was very likely to be saved gven the position he was in and the pace he would have needed to keep it down
Colours never run

El brooko79 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:03 pm OK but he said easiest game of the season.

Yeah, stand by it.
El brooko79

Post by El brooko79 »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:14 pm
Perhaps using the word easiest is wrong full stop. Perhaps, our best opportunity to get 3 points.
The crux of it for me is we have no excuse for not putting in a bloody good performance.
Whether we win or not can come down to moments of what we do,they do and officials.

No where to hide for the manager and players.
We have already blown most of our margins for error.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

If as some posters have said Moyes will go down the trusted players route then can we expect Cresswell and Antonio to start, I have pity with Areola as I think he'll be ousted and trusty Fabianski returns.

Moyes will go safety first and to do that he'll want his go to guys, if with 15 mins to go and its all square he may try to up the pressure with Scamacca and Ings coming on.

Safety first will be the battle cry.

It's going to be a long attritional 90 minutes
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1990 likes
Total likes: 4739 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Colours never run wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:21 pm Yeah, stand by it.
Were they Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd's or Tottenham's easiest game of the season in the last 6 games?
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:14 pm
If you were looking at the start of the season you'd have put it as 3 points. Clearly the circumstances make that less likely but if we cannot get three points or at least create enough to get 3 points then we are really in trouble.

Play like we did second half at their gaff and we will be fine. Play like the first half and not so much but that is most of the story of this season!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:46 pm Were they Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd's or Tottenham's easiest game of the season in the last 6 games?
tbf, it probably is our easiest fixture left
That doesn't mean it is easy, or that we will definitely win, but it is probably the easiest

in teh same way, i thought Villa at home was the 'easiest' one we had left
Colours never run

Bubbles Fortuna wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:46 pm Were they Chelsea, Leicester, Man Utd's or Tottenham's easiest game of the season in the last 6 games?
They were certainly Grimsby's at Home 5 games ago.
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

1st trip to London Stadium for this. In fact the last time i was over was Adrians pen against Everton.
Couple of q's if someone can help.
Im a smoker. Is it totally non smoking, even in the foyer etc? Or is there a designated smoking area. Unofficial smoking area?
Also is the stadium shop open after the game?
Thx
Colours never run

They allow you at half time to smoke outside amongst the food stalls.