⚽ West Ham Utd 1-0 Southampton: (2/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Southampton: match thread

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:34 pm Do you want to press high with Walcott loitering? There was a recent game we tried to play a high line and it completely unravelled.
Do we not have players for the other team to worry about?

Never mind ours and what they can do, just worry about Theo Walcott and craft the gameplan around that. Inspiring stuff.
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:45 pm Do we not have players for the other team to worry about?

Never mind ours and what they can do, just worry about Theo Walcott and craft the gameplan around that. Inspiring stuff.
Most goals come from errors and we have been hit on the counter many times this season. If you actually want to get results you have to do what you have to do.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:51 pm If you actually want to get results you have to do what you have to do.
What does this mean? It's a vague sentence.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Ironing Board wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:34 pm Do you want to press high with Walcott loitering? There was a recent game we tried to play a high line and it completely unravelled.
I'm saying if people want ball players in midfield then we need to.

I understand why we don't. I don't necessarily agree with it, but we cannot switch to the alternative on a whim. It was something I hope would have been addressed in the World Cup break. For a spell it was then Moyes bottled it (again).

The answer to every problem is caution. I get it, but it doesn't make it any less draining to watch.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

of all the posts you have ever made, this one is the one that scrapes the barrel most

you are using a 34 year old Theo Walcott as a rationale for not pressing high against a team bottom of the league!?!?

are their any teams or players bad enough where we can set the agenda and they worry about us?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:45 pm Do we not have players for the other team to worry about?

What and leave the 34yo Theo Walcott to loiter around the pitch who's managed 4 goals in 53 games during the past 3 seasons you mad man?
MB

Post by MB »

Come on gents, Walcott isn't the quickest or only pace option they have. They completely ripped into Spurs with pace in the second half.

I can understand Moyes not wanting to leave any room behind the defensive line. I just don't understand doing that and then picking Ings as a (very) lone striker and Soucek as the out ball.

He then brought on better footballers after Ings had gone off. It felt like the strikers would have been better off if theyd have swapped roles.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:22 pm Come on gents, Walcott isn't the quickest or only pace option they have. They completely ripped into Spurs with pace in the second half.

I can understand Moyes not wanting to leave any room behind the defensive line. I just don't understand doing that and then picking Ings as a (very) lone striker and Soucek as the out ball.

He then brought on better footballers after Ings had gone off. It felt like the strikers would have been better off if theyd have swapped roles.
Do they, that's effective?

As well as Walcott (1 goal in 11 and 1 assist), they also had Forwards/Wingers Mara (0 in 20 and 2 assists), Elyounoussi (0 in 26 and 1 assist), Onuachu (0 in 7 and 0 assist) and Sulemana (0 in 9 and assists 0).

They literally rely heavily on Ward Prowse to score and assist most of their goals via set pieces/penalties.
MB

Post by MB »

Since they switched managers, yes it has been. If you'd watched them rather than Googled them then you'd know that.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:31 pm Do they, that's effective?

As well as Walcott (1 goal and 1 assist), they also had Forwards/Wingers Mara (0 in 20 and 2 assists), Elyounoussi (0 in 26 and 1 assist), Onuachu (0 in 7 and 0 assist) and Sulemana (0 in 9 and assists 0).
It’s easy to use stats to prove a point and the outcome suggests you’re correct but only because we applied ourselves in the way we did. We can’t press as you could see and we’re too slow in certain areas of the pitch. Walcott was cheating in an inside right position and looked dangerous as did peraud on the left. I hated the game, hated the way we played but I find it difficult to moan given the circumstances
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:22 pm
Nail. On. Head.

I DO understand the nerves and tension for this game.

however. does it mean we have to play boring sh*t awful football in the process ?

when did playing at the very worst "decent" football have to be chucked away because of the situation we have found ourselves ?

like chucking the baby out with the bath water.

I'm not expecting the Brasil of Pele, Jair, et al.. but chuffing hell do we have to bore everyone to death, playing the worst team in the league, AT HOME, and be happy with less than 50% possession ? and I know possession doesn't always mean that much. it's what you do with the ball that counts. I understand that too.

and NO, I don't think that Moyes deserves the personal abuse he gets. that's not on in my book.

but he DOES deserves football criticism for the product he's served up this season. the past 2 season not withstanding. yes, we're into the knockout rounds of the Europa Fizzy Pop. and if we win it, we'll be in the Europa Proper next season. and yes we can only play what's in front of us, but even with our dreadful play this season, I would "expect" us to be where we are after playing the teams that we have.

I am not one of those who feel entitled. I'm 74 and have been going since I was about 5 obviously on and off as with age, jobs which required working Saturdays, moving abroad twice, so I've seen the best and worst most of the time. we didn't have the luxury of the internet where we could watch scores or later on, live streams, or satellite or cable telly. I've seen the good stuff live, went to Belgium for the ECWC we lost. was at Wembley for the final against L'Arse which we won. NO. I don't begrudge the lads and lasses seeing us win something that a lot of people haven't seen us win.

but honest. that game yesterday was up there with some of the dire crap we've played over the past several years, in context of course. it was bloody Southampton for goodness sake. at home.

yep. 3 points are great. but when did playing "decent" football and winning become polar opposites ? I want us to stay in the PL. mainly because I really enjoy watching us play the very best of the very best. knowing we probably might not win, but with a chance that we might nick something and piss off people like Klopp, and the supporters of clubs who think we shouldn't actually be able to do that.

my loyalty won't go away if we are relegated. it's way too late for that. but please, please, please, can I be entertained while watching a game and feel excited about upcoming games again ?
Colours never run

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:39 pm Since they switched managers, yes it has been. If you'd watched them rather than Googled them then you'd know that.
I've seen how awful they are both home and away now in recent times ta, I'm just also proving how ineffective they are with what they produce too.
Colours never run

MB wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:22 pm I just don't understand doing that and then picking Ings as a (very) lone striker and Soucek as the out ball.
Spot on with that observation though.
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:03 pm of all the posts you have ever made, this one is the one that scrapes the barrel most
I prefer to think of it as scraping the soil several feet below the barrel :crylol:
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:03 pm of all the posts you have ever made, this one is the one that scrapes the barrel most

Massively. We aren’t a League Two side. I’m guessing Grimsby wouldn’t have marked him up as anything to worry about.
Bring_Back_Connolly
Has liked: 2549 likes
Total likes: 133 likes

Post by Bring_Back_Connolly »

Terrible game, was painful to try to enjoy my team play. At home to the bottom team and that's what we mustered up...
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

the same Walcott who was substituted and had 1 off target shot in the whole 60 odd minutes he was on the pitch, yes we certainly should have been worried about him .....
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

It’s all about results
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

carnage wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:58 pm It’s all about results
Sorry but it's definitely not, yes survival but you have 60k people paying good money to watch a decent game of football, and this season and majority of last the league games have been absolute dross, in fact if it were not for the day trippers I reckon attendance would be well down pn near capacity.

The only game I enjoyed was the defeat at Forest where we wiped the floor with them yet lost, but we lost - so what, we were entertained and it was a good game of football.

There are plenty of teams in that bottom 8 that will entertain their fans, with a much less superior squad, and survive the drop, I didn't see Wolves or Forest playing a low block all game Saturday, or Leicester and Palace. then there was Leeds, could have been 2 - 0 up before Arsenal scored their first and justifiably so.

With the talent in our squad we should be way above any of those teams down there but we aren't because of Moyes half arsed team selections and tactics.