⚽ West Ham Utd 1-5 Newcastle Utd (5/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

The tourists are the lesser of the evils, certainly.

But I think if you throw them in with the others as well as the awkward walk to the ground in p*ssing rain, you basically are starting the game with the team on the back foot. Everyone has the hump by the time they get there.
old fart
Has liked: 139 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:33 am Not at our best last night, but for those of you who wanted entertainment, well, you got it.

I hope the Kumb.com match report starts

On a damp night under the lights at the London stadium, the Famous West Ham United shared a 6 goal thriller with Newcastle and were unfortunate to come out with just one of those goals.

Chin up chaps, we've all seen worse.
I minded of the game when the referees room got trashed
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Embarrassing. P*ssed off. Angry.

Shameful display. I think the loss of two of Moyes' key men Alan Irvine & Stuart Pearce has f**ked things. DM seems lost. Our form has fallen off a cliff, we look a shadow of the team that we saw last season & the one before. That stat a few months back that in terms of running we have gone from top 3 to bottom 3 in Premiership. Why? Have the players given up on Moyes?????

Newcastle took this p*ss out of us. With Callum Wilson as cheerleader. 😡

Thanks Mr Moyes, sadly times up. But thank you. 👍
Last edited by Cardiff here we come..... on Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1773 likes

Post by hammers92 »

That picture was at St James Park after their win vs Man United…
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

hammers92 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:22 am That picture was at St James Park after their win vs Man United…
Ok, thank you Hammer92 for the correction. I'll delete it. 👍
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i would be questioning Newcastle's mindset if they were so excited about beating us they had a celebratory group photo like that!
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

Newcastle had two attacks in the first half and scored two goals.
I thought we were playing OK (defensive brain farts aside) and at half time we all thought we were still very much in the game.
That changed after 11 seconds of the restart, more defensive brain farts and the game was lost, we all knew it, the players knew it. I think Moyes knew it too and the mass subs on 60 minutes was either about giving those players a run out, or saving players for Fulham.
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

Two attacks, not sure what game you were watching..

Saving players for Fulham? So waving the white flag and giving up when still time to salvage something, says it all.. Southampton came back from two down the other week in less time.. Everton came back with ten men..

Either way Moyes is a spineless prick.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 73 likes
Total likes: 446 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

There’s plenty of tourists at City too but fair play to Americans for flying over in numbers to watch the team.
billtho
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by billtho »

The one thing that irritates me is just what are the goalie coaches teaching Fabianski through the week, it certainly can't be his distribution.Last night as with every game he plays the ball gets gets hoofed up to Antonio or Soucek who never win the ball which comes straight back...when Moyes does go he can take Fabianski and his useless coaches with him.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Annoying they scored that good fifth goal as before that each goal we conceded was marginally more comical than the one that preceded it. Was hoping their fifth was going to be a wayward backpass rabona or something from Paqueta. Shame it was the one true moment of quality in the night as half the stadium missed it.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I'm still trying to get my nut around what happened last night. Big part of me thinks the players put a shift in, tackles, running, doesn't look like a squad of players not playing for Moyes. Then, the mistakes, that you would struggle to see on a Sunday league pitch. Also, the lack of creativity, shots, nice passages of any sort of football. As said, still trying to work it all out in my nut, funny old game.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

The second goal was the most depressing. We weren’t pressing or marking, we literally watched them knock it about and chip it over the top for a centre midfielder to latch on to.
Crouchend_Hammer

Billydinho wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:13 pm The second goal was the most depressing. We weren’t pressing or marking, we literally watched them knock it about and chip it over the top for a centre midfielder to latch on to.
what was more depressing was that it was a through ball and a midfielder getting ahead of the striker
something we haven't seen us do for a long long time
MAC08
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by MAC08 »

After that 2nd goal & 3rd goal you would expect that our captain or senior players would have gone mental and told a few home truths. Nothing, head down, carry on.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Wasn't great was it Billy, we just seem so disjointed "at times" during games. Literally no idea where we go from here, so many mistakes that you don't often see in a professional match, let alone so many in one game from the same side. Confused, yep, I certainly am.
djbubbles
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 115 likes

Post by djbubbles »

That was awful. Why did nobody let Kehler know he had time when he headed out for a corner for 1st? Hes not good enough regardless. Coufal has to play. Antonio is vital to us with this system. He needs to get fitter. Forget about Ings forever. He just dosent suit us. Bowen is like a human pinball machine. Its like his body moves quicker than his brain. Benny has great feet but too slow and **** at mKing the right decision. Pac is a **** Behrami. I dunno where we gonna get points with this lot. Lanzini and Fornals have to come in or we are down. Moyes out. Its already too late. If we dont move on this we are down
Crouchend_Hammer

MAC08 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:19 pm After that 2nd goal & 3rd goal you would expect that our captain or senior players would have gone mental and told a few home truths. Nothing, head down, carry on.
tbf after the 2nd goal Declan became superhuman for the rest of the 1st half
He was rallying the players, rallying the crowd and covering every blade of grass on the pitch
He couldn#t have done much more in that 30 minutes
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 207 likes
Total likes: 657 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Last night was a combination of poor selection and a failure of some professional players to do their jobs

Firstly the selection. Hindsight is 20/20, but was Areola so bad that Fabianski is number 1 regardless? Its a position that we need to find a solution to in the summer, but for me, Fabianski has made three of four mistakes like that already this season.

Again, hindsight. Kehrer at right back against a rapid team with flair players is not a good look. Coufal would have been the logical choice.

For the first goal, I think Kehrer is trying to head it back to Fabianski and gets it wrong. If you look at him he gestures at Fabianski in relation to his positioning. The ball comes over from the corner and we deal with phase1. Then it goes wrong. WIlson is initially picked up by Paq who then completely loses any sense of marking a player and stands still whilst Wilson gets into position. Emerson goes to ground too easy and the ball is in the back of the net.

For the second, there is no awareness from Kehrer. Rice and Soucek have pushed up and left a big gap between the lines. The ball is a good one, but Kehrer watches the player go past him and hobbling Zouma and Aguerd have no chance.

We score with a goal primarily thanks to Antonio who worked his socks off. Great header and we are back in it.

All night long Trippier has been mugging Benrahma and getting success down their right. For all Benrahmas skill, he lacks in defending and with Paq drawn more central as Rice seemed to think he was Messi at times, we had no cover for Emerson. He was often two on one. I would have swapped Benrahma for Fornals and pushed Paq into his place.

We then has comical goal number one. The poor judgement from Fabianski continues and instead of clearing his lines, he plays a ball slightly behind Aguerd and the rest is history.

For the goal number four, the ball comes over and Fabianski is half turned to run back towards his goal when the blood rushes to his head. He runs back to clear the ball and instead of heading, or just about anything else, he tries to flick it with the side of his foot. Goal

The raft of substitutions were pointless as we kept the same system just changed the personel. Antonio must have been fuming as I would imagine was Benrahma to see Cornet replace him. He must have been wondering why that was the better option at that point.

So individual mistakes abound, but for me the writing was on the wall pretty quickly. What has become blindingly obvious is that you take Bowen out of the team and we are average at best
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Gsbgsb wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 8:47 am I must have missed this response.

On Talksport he said he thought the fans were good whilst on the BBC he said he would have left to if the team played as it did.
He said they supported us through the good but by the same token should support us through the bad