⚽ West Ham Utd 1-5 Newcastle Utd (5/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

3Dicks
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by 3Dicks »

I don't follow the 'we played OK' for patches, we created nothing. Some decent possession and interplay in midfield but mostly going wide and hopeful aimless punts into the box to nobody. I know Newcastle have a very solid defence but it's the same thing we have done all season we very rarely try to play through the middle and it's even harder with Souček up there - I'm convinced swap him with either of Benrahma, Fornals or Lanzini we'd have far more success through the middle. Put Cornet on the left wing.

What's most frustrating about last night is Newcastle didn't even need to try, we handed them the win on a golden platter you could see the disbelief on Moyes face for their 3rd he must have been in the dressing room at halftime saying "well done lads we got one back, go out there push for the second and who knows maybe we can win the game" and f*** me less than a minute into the second half Nayef decides to faff about on the edge of the box and gift them the goal that killed the game dead.
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by PF. »

I thought as the players walked out last night we were going to win, compounded by the first run down the wing by Bowen. I was so confident I looked at the lads and said we're going to spank them.

At we're consistent. :crest:
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:31 pm
For the second, there is no awareness from Kehrer. Rice and Soucek have pushed up and left a big gap between the lines. The ball is a good one, but Kehrer watches the player go past him and hobbling Zouma and Aguerd have no chance.
Happens far too often. It wasn't the only occasion it happened yesterday. Newcastle knew that and always had players in those areas ready to exploit it.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 316 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

Burnley Hammer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:43 pm Happens far too often. It wasn't the only occasion it happened yesterday. Newcastle knew that and always had players in those areas ready to exploit it.
Newcastle also had players in those areas with the pace to exploit it. Role reversal and unless Joelinton had been Bowen (or maybe Cornet) the defence would have recovered.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Personally, I'd love a Joe Linton and Rice partnership , it would be an awesome midfield pairing . Both strong with stamina but Linton is far superior making runs into dangerous positions and can finish.

Unfortunately , we have Soucek who, bless his cotton-socks , has regressed very alarmingly in all aspects of his game.
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

Humbug wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:54 pm Personally, I'd love a Joe Linton and Rice partnership , it would be an awesome midfield pairing . Both strong with stamina but Linton is far superior making runs into dangerous positions and can finish.
You might get it next year...just not in our colours.
This Fish
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by This Fish »

smuts wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:56 pm You might get it next year...just not in our colours.
If you're suggesting Rice would move to Newcastle, I think you're out of your mind. Rice is the finished article, he's an amazing footballer and would better the midfield of every Premier League team. For all I'd love to see him at St James', he'll move to Man Utd, or Man City, right? There he can win titles, challenge for the Champions League trophy, be almost assured of a domestic trophy every ****ing season.

We've had a great season, but we're not good enough to get Rice. Not yet.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The fairly simple truth, for me, was that last night demonstrated that Newcastle had properly done their homework on us...

...and we played as if even the basics of top flight football were a mystery to us.

I have literally no idea what thinking was behind the subs we made, either.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:49 pm
I have literally no idea what thinking was behind the subs we made, either.
I hope I am wrong, but I think the subs were more about Saturday than they were about attempting to salvage anything from the game.

Coops wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:52 pm I hope I am wrong, but I think the subs were more about Saturday than they were about attempting to salvage anything from the game.
Are you implying that you imagine that he wanted to give Kehrer, Ben and Soucek a rest, so that they could 'go again' at the weekend?

Antonio, for sure; he's getting on and had put himself about a bit.

But the other three surely can't be in the first 11 at the weekend! Kehrer is appalling. Soucek has lost all his mojo and must surely be able to hear the moans and groans and Benrahma offers his full back no support at all.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Coops wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:52 pm I hope I am wrong, but I think the subs were more about Saturday than they were about attempting to salvage anything from the game.
It's the only logical explanation for me, saying that, with the subs might have been nice to change something else up as well; as if Moyes did tactically, I missed it, I did though have tears in my eyes at this point..
HoppyHammer

Post by HoppyHammer »

And yet I expect to see Soucek on the team sheet for the starting 11 on Saturday
smuts
Has liked: 1499 likes
Total likes: 1440 likes

Post by smuts »

This Fish wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:24 pm If you're suggesting Rice would move to Newcastle, I think you're out of your mind. Rice is the finished article, he's an amazing footballer and would better the midfield of every Premier League team. For all I'd love to see him at St James', he'll move to Man Utd, or Man City, right? There he can win titles, challenge for the Champions League trophy, be almost assured of a domestic trophy every ****ing season.

We've had a great season, but we're not good enough to get Rice. Not yet.
It was slightly tongue in cheek but if you get top 4 and the Saudis go for several marquee money no object signings and other suitors fall through who knows...
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:55 pm Antonio, for sure; he's getting on and had put himself about a bit.
Putting himself about a bit and rocking that sweet, sweet 27% pass accuracy. Bring on Fulham.

HammerMan2004 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:57 pm Putting himself about a bit and rocking that sweet, sweet 27% pass accuracy. Bring on Fulham.
He's better for the team than Ings.

Scam is injured.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Antonio is better at being Antonio than Ings. He's never going to score though, that's the problem. He's hassling defenders, running the channels, but he's never going to be on the end of anything, and isn't exactly clinical in front of goal anyway. Maybe Antonio + Ings is the answer.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

prophet:marginal wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:07 pm He's better for the team than Ings.

Scam is injured.
As I said before the match, if we're going to end up with a handful of touches in the opposition box, I know which striker I'd rather they fall to.

Emerson burst through into their box last night, Antonio just ran in the same direction in his way.

Having the big, strong, handful up top on his own means f*** all when he constantly throws himself to the floor, or can't bring teammates into the game.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Why take Antonio off for ings ?
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

hammerman11 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:12 pm Why take Antonio off for ings ?
Because our coaching team had no idea how to fix the problems we had. We didn't change shape. We went for like-for-like changes and it got us absolutely nowhere.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

even my commentary team were scratching their collective heads.

apart from 9 subs being made at the same for both teams total, they were a bit bemused that we only made like for like changes and no change in system or anything that resembled the point that we might look for something out of the game.

ever seen those La Liga matches where the crowd are pissed off at the team ? they wave white hankies. felt like a white hanky job from our manager last night...

total surrender.

:swear: