⚽ West Ham Utd 1-5 Newcastle Utd (5/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Newcastle Utd: match thread

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Things that annoy me about moyes and west ham

- We can't cope when the opposition turn up with an ounce of attacking quality.
Seems we can only beat the crud of the division by looking at the sides we've beaten.

- We all know what next weeks team selection will be.

- He constantly refuses to pick Fornals or Lanzini. Fornals being the only one who can find a forward player through the middle (and does it first time), and lanzini can drive at defenders but Moyes would rather play 3 CDMs which brings 0 crearivity. And we wonder why we dont create anything these days and very very regularly conceed the first goal.

- Kehrer.

There are more bullet points but my thumb hurts.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 807 likes
Total likes: 3020 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Not at our best last night, but for those of you who wanted entertainment, well, you got it.

I hope the Kumb.com match report starts

On a damp night under the lights at the London stadium, the Famous West Ham United shared a 6 goal thriller with Newcastle and were unfortunate to come out with just one of those goals.

Chin up chaps, we've all seen worse.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1375 likes
Total likes: 995 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

Yes, individual errors cost us but why did Moyes take Antonio off when he was having a good game ? Also, Bowen roasted Burn early on so when Cornet comes in, surely he should’ve been switched to the right in order to attack Burn and exploit a weak link. As for Soucek, he’s running around aimlessly, one minute he’s pressing then he’s not. He’s not winning headers and tackles.

:?
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:36 am Yes, individual errors cost us but why did Moyes take Antonio off when he was having a good game ? Also, Bowen roasted Burn early on so when Cornet comes in, surely he should’ve been switched to the right in order to attack Burn and exploit a weak link. As for Soucek, he’s running around aimlessly, one minute he’s pressing then he’s not. He’s not winning headers and tackles.

:?
Antonio was having a good game? He was as bad as he usually is.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

I think Soucek’s job is to film the game for those videos that you see on the official site. He’s always fairly close to the action, but not close enough that he is actually involved. Follow play, but hang back a bit, much better videos. He must have a tiny camera under the club badge on his shirt or something.
WestHamLyallStyle

I thought Antonio and Bowen did alright. They were running the channels. Opinions eh ?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 257 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

wildkard wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:54 am I think Soucek’s job is to film the game for those videos that you see on the official site. He’s always fairly close to the action, but not close enough that he is actually involved. Follow play, but hang back a bit, much better videos. He must have a tiny camera under the club badge on his shirt or something.
The geezer barely touched the ball throughout the entire 90 minutes
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 2016 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

The biggest worry for me - after that catastrophe last night - was that the back four contained 3 players who were obtained in the last summer window. Individually none deserved better than 5/10 last night, but collectively the score was worse.

As such, even if Moyes goes, and surely he must, if only at the end of the season, his signings will be starting merely the second season on their contracts.

That's right, no Johnson or Cresswell to blame. Even Coufal only played for a short while, after that car crash of a bloc substitution.

We sold Dawson in January, too.

Very worrying. We'll be lucky to stay up if that is the general standard of performance we can expect
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 212 likes
Total likes: 669 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

wildkard wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:54 am I think Soucek’s job is to film the game for those videos that you see on the official site. He’s always fairly close to the action, but not close enough that he is actually involved. Follow play, but hang back a bit, much better videos. He must have a tiny camera under the club badge on his shirt or something.
Basically like having 1 less player on the pitch.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I actually thought that was a pretty good game last night, entertaining and the atmosphere was pretty good until they scored straight after half time and killed it.

Despite that, its clearly time for him to go, everyone keeps going on about the 3 goals we gave away but we looked toothless, barely had any chances, the 1 goal we did score was really a mistake from Pope.

We haven't scored a goal from open play for nearly 6 weeks now.
master
Has liked: 3215 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by master »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:56 am I thought Antonio and Bowen did alright. They were running the channels. Opinions eh ?
Antonio was doing alright running the inside left channel yesterday. Shame that he was the striker and was doing what Benrahma should've been doing leaving us with nobody up front. If only there was something in the laws of the game that allowed Micky to be out wide and someone else playing the strikers role.
WestHamLyallStyle

Yes our goal was borne out of a mistake but at least 4 of theirs were too.
JohnnyLyall
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by JohnnyLyall »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:02 am Yes our goal was borne out of a mistake but at least 4 of theirs were too.
But unlike us they created chances from open play.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1079 likes
Total likes: 1388 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:33 am Not at our best last night, but for those of you who wanted entertainment, well, you got it.

On a damp night under the lights at the London stadium, the Famous West Ham United shared a 6 goal thriller with Newcastle and were unfortunate to come out with just one of those goals.

We'll see a lot worse in the future too... no matter how deflating it feels today.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:33 am Not at our best last night, but for those of you who wanted entertainment, well, you got it.

We got battered. We were fortunate it was only 5.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 312 likes

Post by Het-Field »

On paper, that is probably our best team, with the exception of Antonio over Ings. Fornals probably gets a look in too. But that was dreadful from start to finish.

Also, when you look at the Newcastle team, more than a handful of the players were theirs before the money rolled in. Players like Joelinton look rejuvenated after they looked lost in the PL under Bruce. Bruno being the real exception here, as I dont think it was too remarkable for a club like Newcastle to sign Trippier, Burn, and Pope. Eddie Howe has done wonders with these players (even putting them in position to challenge the top 3). Its akin to what Moyes did with some of our players over the past two years.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Tbf to Isaak, that was a cracking finish after the Fab howler

Not that is made a jot of difference to the outcome, the game was done when we went 1-3 down and decided not to bother chasing the game
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The left/right imbalance was there to see again yesterday. Rice completed more passes than all of our right sided players (Zouma, Bowen, Kehrer, Soucek) put together.

Completed passes by left sided players = 134
Completed passes by right sided players = 46

Unbalanced and poor shape defensively. That's what we need to sort out.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Couple of tourists next to me laughing and joking throughout. On Sunday I saw a kid walking about in a Chelsea zip up top.

Throw in the helmets who come and stand in the lower tier from the upper tier and it becomes about more than just the crud on the pitch (which if we’re brutally honest is no worse than most of the last 20 odd years).

I really hate that place and it’s got to the point that it’s only tolerable if we are having relative success on the pitch.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Billydinho wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:36 am Couple of tourists next to me laughing and joking throughout. On Sunday I saw a kid walking about in a Chelsea zip up top.

Throw in the helmets who come and stand in the lower tier from the upper tier and it becomes about more than just the crud on the pitch (which if we’re brutally honest is no worse than most of the last 20 odd years).

I really hate that place and it’s got to the point that it’s only tolerable if we are having relative success on the pitch.
I don't have a problem with teh tourists
There was a group of early 20 blokes from America near me yesterday. All were cheering for West Ham (admittedly not much) and they were good natured and enthusiastic. Made the occasion a bit more enjoyable truth be told