⚽ Fulham 0-1 West Ham Utd (8/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Re: ⚽ Fulham v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Ozza »

master wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:03 am Don't matter for the present. Do matter for the future.
Absolutely 3 points yesterday absolutely matters for the future of us being in the prem
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

goa127 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:47 am It's not baffling. He's been struggling with a foot problem. Plantar facaitis (wrong spelling) it's very painful.
Correct, im actually surprised he’s not out for the season… proper warrior
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

goa127 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:47 am It's not baffling. He's been struggling with a foot problem. Plantar facaitis (wrong spelling) it's very painful.
Horrible injury. Hard enough to walk on, let alone play a PL game for 90 mins.

An absolute trooper, but think he may be off when his contract is up in the summer.
master
Has liked: 3220 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by master »

MB wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:52 am But you are not going to see any indicators for the future while we are fighting for our lives. No one thought we'd come sixth after how we played the season before that. It will be a clean slate come the summer.
Newcastle were fighting for their lives last season. Once the changes were made mid-way through they looked better and better, finishing the 2nd half of the season as the 3rd best team. That's continued into this season.

The past and present gives an indicator, but certainly not guarantee, of the future. We, if we keep things roughly as they are, are not going to become a better passing team next year that produces good football and gets descents results that aren't solely against the poorest teams. We really need to see some improvement and signs of change. Escaping this season by the barest of margins does not bode well for next.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 435 likes
Total likes: 163 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Swiss Pauli wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:41 am Baxter Basics: low block, Fornals for Benrahma, Coufal for Kehrer, Downey for Soucek. Look to nick a goal on the break, or from a set piece. 1 all
Much better than my usual level of prediction. Glad to get the result wrong though
:scarfer:
alf git
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1605 likes

Post by alf git »

Iron_Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:30 am Imagine if Mitrovic was playing.
He gets sent off in the ninth minute.
Ten man Fulham get beat six nil.
How's that?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

HammerAl wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:10 pm Horrible injury. Hard enough to walk on, let alone play a PL game for 90 mins.

An absolute trooper, but think he may be off when his contract is up in the summer.
It is, I've had it and it is a b*stard.There is no cure for it You can have steroid injections, but they don't cure it they just ease the pain, but once the anaesthetic wears off, the pain returns. I had it around 10 years ago, tried pretty much everything, soft cushioned trainers, Dr Scholl, inserts in my shoes you name it, I tried it, nothing worked, every step I took, was agony. Then, one day, I spoke with my chiropodist, told her about it and she told me, it just go's on its own. Now it may have been co-incidence, it probably was, but around a week later, it did, after suffering from it for around 6 months, or more. That was in my right heel. Then guess what? About a week later, I then got it in my left heel, but that went on its own in about 3 weeks. It truly is a ****er, you don't ever want to get it
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

Funny thing for me this weekend is.

West Ham fans (some of course) cry out for 4-4-2 and this is the result (it didn't work) then (some of them) sing you don't know what you doing...

Is pretty ironic though don't you think?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

About as off topic as you can get; Tigger has withdrawn from the masters with plantar fasciitis. He walked like an old man yesterday.
unmartillo
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by unmartillo »

Same thing Andy Carroll had? Usually ballet dancers get it if I remember rightly, it's the muscle along the bottom of the foot that starts to separate or something :chin:
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

unmartillo wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:23 pm Same thing Andy Carroll had? Usually ballet dancers get it if I remember rightly, it's the muscle along the bottom of the foot that starts to separate or something :chin:

I don't know about ballet dancers, I was a track patrolman on the district line when I got it in both feet 10 years ago. You learn lots of techniques to ease it (bowl of iced water works wonders) but it's not pleasant
TokyoVibe
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by TokyoVibe »

Mullhull wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:36 pm Funny thing for me this weekend is.

West Ham fans (some of course) cry out for 4-4-2 and this is the result (it didn't work) then (some of them) sing you don't know what you doing...

Thats true, however I dont think you can play Soucek in a 4-4-2 and expect to control the game much at all.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 406 likes

Post by dodger »

Mullhull wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 2:36 pm Funny thing for me this weekend is.

What percentage of the proposed lineups in this thread were actually 4-4-2? Not the majority for sure.

The only thing the overwhelming were agreed on was that Soucek shouldn’t be starting.
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 158 likes
Total likes: 337 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Bit late to this one.

A win's a win but sadly, another painful watch, but this is how it's going to be for the rest of the season and I'm expecting no more.

Soucek - Slightly better, but the lad needs a rest.
Fab - Thanks for the save.
Ings - Did that knock early on do for him?
Dec - A great performance.
Oggi - Ditto.
Everyone else - Well it's just Balls-to-the-wall football isn't it.
e20too
Has liked: 666 likes
Total likes: 208 likes

Post by e20too »

goa127 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:11 am I don't know about ballet dancers, I was a track patrolman on the district line when I got it in both feet 10 years ago. You learn lots of techniques to ease it (bowl of iced water works wonders) but it's not pleasant
Oh come on you just didn’t want to be mistaken for a ballet dancer. 😈
Mullhull
Has liked: 328 likes
Total likes: 269 likes

Post by Mullhull »

TokyoVibe wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:48 am Thats true, however I dont think you can play Soucek in a 4-4-2 and expect to control the game much at all.
I don't think you can play Bowen as a right winger either not saying we should drop him though!
dodger wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:42 am What percentage of the proposed lineups in this thread were actually 4-4-2? Not the majority for sure.

The only thing the overwhelming were agreed on was that Soucek shouldn’t be starting.
I should say that some of those calling for 4-4-2 have been throughout the past months and months not specifically to this game.

We didn't lose though! We're about to get slapped hard if we make any mistakes this weekend though.
Paolopaul
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 296 likes

Post by Paolopaul »

master wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:13 pm Newcastle were fighting for their lives last season. Once the changes were made mid-way through they looked better and better, finishing the 2nd half of the season as the 3rd best team. That's continued into this season.

The past and present gives an indicator, but certainly not guarantee, of the future. We, if we keep things roughly as they are, are not going to become a better passing team next year that produces good football and gets descents results that aren't solely against the poorest teams. We really need to see some improvement and signs of change. Escaping this season by the barest of margins does not bode well for next.
I agree with your point but not your example, as I guarantee you we’d see a big improvement in West Ham’s form if they were taken over by Saudi Arabia and given a couple of transfer windows to sell the project to the players they want.

We’re not going to do a Leicester but finishing strongly would set us up better for next season.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:19 am Makes you laugh. Everyone calling for 2 up front. Moyes obliges, and now people moan about the lack of possession and getting overrun in midfield.

You can’t have it both ways
Why can't we have it both ways?
Why can't we play two up top (or even three), keep the ball when we get it and give it a go against teams?

Teams like Newcastle (433) and Brentford (532) seem to be able to have it both ways, why can't we expect the same from the squad of players we have?
El brooko79
Has liked: 3025 likes
Total likes: 1990 likes

Post by El brooko79 »

sutts07 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:19 am Why can't we have it both ways?
Why can't we play two up top (or even three), keep the ball when we get it and give it a go against teams?

Teams like Newcastle (433) and Brentford (532) seem to be able to have it both ways, why can't we expect the same from the squad of players we have?
Brentford play really direct.
They have the most long balls this season and Toney has the second most aerial battles won (1st is Ben Mee also Brentford).
It's suits the players they have.

They have made less passes than us this season.

They are not a footballing side for us to aspire to.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1992 likes
Total likes: 4743 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

sutts07 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:19 am Why can't we have it both ways?

The biggest thing is playing three in the middle. We tried 442 and Fulham controlled the midfield until Downes came on, which was ultimately the correct decision despite the chants at the time.

Newcastle play a lone striker supported by two wide forwards, we could definitely do that with Bowen and Cornet, but Isak and Wilson both have more pace than Ings or Scamacca.