⚽ Fulham 0-1 West Ham Utd (8/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ Fulham v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:38 am It's been a dreadful season so far and the football has been turgid, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be negative about three points and a clean sheet away from home, especially in a relegation fight.

Playing style may as well go in the bin now, it's too late for that, all we need is the points to stay up.
It is. I don't care how we win. Just ****ing win. We're
****ing useless, so just ****ing win, even if it is ugly
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:35 am The scoreline probably would have been the same? I don’t recall Vinicius having any chances.
Not that I give a toss or not whether Mitrovic was playing - he wasn't, we can only play what's in front of us and we won - but that isn't how it works to be fair.

Vinicius having no chances doesn't mean Mitrovic would have had no chances. Mitro being the much better player probably makes more stuff stick, gets into better positions, creates space that Vinicius couldn't etc.

We definitely benefitted from Mitrovic not playing and my gut feeling is that we probably don't win if he isn't suspended. I also don't care. We won.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Aztec Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:49 am Not that I give a toss or not whether Mitrovic was playing - he wasn't, we can only play what's in front of us and we won - but that isn't how it works to be fair.

Vinicius having no chances doesn't mean Mitrovic would have had no chances. Mitro being the much better player probably makes more stuff stick, gets into better positions, creates space that Vinicius couldn't etc.

We definitely benefitted from Mitrovic not playing and my gut feeling is that we probably don't win if he isn't suspended. I also don't care. We won.

Your last sentence is the only one that matters.

So many what ifs on here over the past 24 hours.

We won. Whether Mitrovic played or not doesn’t matter, we had f*** all possession, doesn’t matter, we weren’t great to watch, doesn’t matter.

We’re in a relegation battle and needed the 3 points. We got them.
master
Has liked: 3203 likes
Total likes: 489 likes

Post by master »

Don't matter for the present. Do matter for the future.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

The thing with that Cornet chance, if he’d of scored it everyone would be praising him and saying how he should start every week. The break happened quite quickly and maybe he didn’t look across to Benrahma, I don’t know, I’m not going to be overly harsh on him though he obviously wanted to score to try and force his way into the starting games.

The Fabianski parry to deny Perreira was brilliant though, especially after the howler against Newcastle. Made a couple of really good saves too. Definite redemption for me.
ParkersHere
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by ParkersHere »

If we get 3 or 4 more scrappy wins like that we are safe. Yes it was a poor game and a lucky scrappy goal but it was a win.
We still look vulnerable at the back and a bit toothless up top but we might just have enough.
:fxd:
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

Whufc06 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:14 am It’s absolutely shameful how bad we are on the ball. 23% against Fulham?? Moyes needs to go and sharpish
Makes you laugh. Everyone calling for 2 up front. Moyes obliges, and now people moan about the lack of possession and getting overrun in midfield.

You can’t have it both ways
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Dreadful football, but it was one of those matches that happen once a season. Where for some strange reason I was confident throughout that we would keep a clean sheet.
Doctor Mopp
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by Doctor Mopp »

jabbaglob123 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:38 am It's been a dreadful season so far and the football has been turgid, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be negative about three points and a clean sheet away from home, especially in a relegation fight.

Playing style may as well go in the bin now, it's too late for that, all we need is the points to stay up.
The playing style went in the bin months ago, I honestly feel the opposite is true. If we tried to show controlled positive intent and creativity, our squad would flourish.

Moyes shows no belief in the ability of our players, so they show no belief in themselves.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 367 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:19 am Makes you laugh. Everyone calling for 2 up front. Moyes obliges, and now people moan about the lack of possession and getting overrun in midfield.

I never asked for it both ways. We’re **** with the ball regardless of formation. When was the last game we had more possession?
BigFatSam
Has liked: 210 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by BigFatSam »

I think results like yesterday are the ideal situation. We okay poor horrible football, we get enough points and everyone accepts Moyes goes in the summer. We thank him for his time and work, giving us 2 amazing seasons but moving on is best for everyone. We then get someone in permanently in the summer.

The result yesterday was huge, it pretty much keeps us up, another one of those wins and I’d say we’re definitely safe.
mickthekeeper
Has liked: 179 likes
Total likes: 232 likes

Post by mickthekeeper »

BobbyMooreLower wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:19 am Makes you laugh. Everyone calling for 2 up front. Moyes obliges, and now people moan about the lack of possession and getting overrun in midfield.

Tbf, BML, it was on paper only as we rarely had 2 up front. we had so little possession that one of Ings or Antonio kept dropping into midfield (the former mainly) resulting in punted balls coming straight back and at times they were so far apart they were playing in different post codes.

I don’t think everyone was calling for it, but there have been questions about either playing with a second striker or somebody a lot closer to the poor sod who gets pick to chat to the opposition CBs. Like I said, imo, it was on paper only for large parts so could hardly be classed as 2 classic CFs.

One thing I make Tony Gale on commentary right about is we lost it in midfield (which was stating the bleeding obvious) - 3-5-2 not 4-4-2 - but 3 points is 3 points - as somebody said, I can separate the result from the way we played. At this stage of the season I’d take 3 points. It was a very tough watch though and I expect more before the end of the season.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

Just watched the highlights and thought that there was a bit more confidence in parts of the team - Coufal, Fabianski, Ogbonna, Rice and Bowen in parts. That is going to help us in this scrap that we are in.

It is ugly but we have picked up 6 points this week which is valuable - as poor as we were against Newcastle, given the season that we’ve had, I wasn’t really expecting much from that game.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

master wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:03 am Don't matter for the present. Do matter for the future.
But you are not going to see any indicators for the future while we are fighting for our lives. No one thought we'd come sixth after how we played the season before that. It will be a clean slate come the summer.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Coufal makes a big difference imo, baffling that he has been excluded of late.
ParkersHere
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by ParkersHere »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:15 am Coufal makes a big difference imo, baffling that he has been excluded of late.
Probably lack of pace as he has been caught a few times earlier in the season.
IMO he is still the best right back in a 4 that we have in the squad
BobbyMooreLower
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 299 likes

Post by BobbyMooreLower »

hammer1975 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:15 am Coufal makes a big difference imo, baffling that he has been excluded of late.
He’s not great. But he is the best of a very bad set of full backs
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

It's not baffling. He's been struggling with a foot problem. Plantar facaitis (wrong spelling) it's very painful.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Its totally results based at the moment. No room for entertainment. just get the points. If we can do the same in the Conference League that could also result in something great.
NWhammer
Has liked: 785 likes
Total likes: 1490 likes

Post by NWhammer »

Comfortably our best right back since Lucas Neill.
Last edited by NWhammer on Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.