⚽ Fulham 0-1 West Ham Utd (8/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yodi
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 146 likes

Re: ⚽ Fulham v West Ham Utd : match thread

Post by Yodi »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
MK-Hammer
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 140 likes

Post by MK-Hammer »

It’s sad that it’s taken till April for Moyes to realise that he made poor additions to the squad in the summer.

Now some may say that he was unlucky with Aguard getting injured in pre season …but he had failed to gel with Zouma …but we can’t afford the time for him to do so.

Paqueta not the type of player that we required in the summer…and we have had very little return for our money

Emerson …certainly not an upgrade on Cresswell

Kehrer …absolutely *****

Scamacca …started off ok …but Moyes has totally destroyed his confidence in how he has been asked to play …again Moyes destroys a striker aka like Haller 🤦‍♂️

I hate the style of football we are playing at the moment….but staying in the division is the name of the game ….new manager for next season to either spend more wisely or to reshape the side to get the best out of this talented squad.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Aguerd, Emerson and Paqueta have all been fine. Did we overpay? Probably. That’s what happens when you’re a premier league club with big money raiding European teams.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1515 likes
Total likes: 3181 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

As I’ve said elsewhere, I thought we were mostly awful as a team, that the system didn’t work at any moment and keeping it for an hour was madness

That being said, I think some could quite fairly argue that this was us fully embracing the return to old Moyes football, where we defended as a priority and then tried to counter.

As such, and with a new formation, they may argue that it’ll take a little time to slot back into old routines.

We got the lucky goal and that completely changes the game, but it doesn’t look like a solution that will help us score, and I’m not sure the good changes will provide us much threat if we go to that as a starting style.

Downes was my MOTM, but I don’t really want to see him back in that floating role where he plays wherever he wants in midfield. It’ll never lead to us creating anything.

I felt for Fornals, who did his work diligently as ever and still is our best forward passer. Had either striker been worth their wage, his performance looks a mile better.

Also felt for Bowen, who was our most dangerous striker even playing on the right wing, and with two actual strikers playing.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Wilko1304 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:43 am Also felt for Bowen, who was our most dangerous striker even playing on the right wing, and with two actual strikers playing.
Yup - it was about as gung ho as you're going to get with David Moyes.
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

It’s absolutely shameful how bad we are on the ball. 23% against Fulham?? Moyes needs to go and sharpish
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Whufc06 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:14 am It’s absolutely shameful how bad we are on the ball. 23% against Fulham?? Moyes needs to go and sharpish
After the Newcastle horror show, the less we have of the ball the better.
mattyD
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

When you're in the **** you have to dig out a result, and we did. We got the first fouls in, scored first for once. But 58 passed in the first half, about 1.5 passes a minute, that is some spectacular achievement. It was even worse at the beginning of the second half but the subs improved that.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4400 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

As remarked upon in commentary, playing two up top left us one light in midfield which was why we had so little of the ball for nearly an hour.

The Downes > Ings sub changed that.

For all that, Fabianski only had to make one contribution that was anything other than routine, the centre backs were magnificent at the bread and butter defending, as were Rice and Soucek ahead of them, and in the last half hour it looked more likely that we would score a second than they would equalise.

It is nice to reflect on the fact that even though a couple of chances were missed, they were clear cut open play chances, both brought about by pressing from Bowen and Cornet.

I felt Emerson was especially unlucky to miss out from the new boys, and that maybe we need to persevere with Aguerd but understand why Moyes went to his tried and trusted, and they most certainly did what they needed to do.

We probably need 6, maybe 7 points from the last 9. We will get them.
Last edited by bubbles1966 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Just seen the cornet chance at the end.

He is utterly brainless not squaring it to Benrahma
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5673 likes
Total likes: 3095 likes

Post by MB »

Fair play for Moyes trying it but it showed why so many of us have been against 442. You need pace and real quality upfront to get away with having one less man in midfield. Took too long to change it as well. It was very clear on the half hour it wasn't working.

Think we were lucky to face a Fulham side who have read the same attacking manual as Moyes. So many crosses to an isolated and ill suited striker. Plays to the strengths of Zouma and Oggy.

The rare time they played through our lines they should have scored and only fantastic work from Fabianski prevented it.

Three points and some space to hopefully have a go on Thursday.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I've woken up a lot happier than I did on Thursday. We are 3 points clear, with a game in hand, on four teams at the bottom. Survival feels more possible than it did before.
But that was some of the worse passing I have ever seen. I fear another mauling at the hands of Arsenal next weekend.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2497 likes
Total likes: 4400 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I thought that Tosin Adarabioyio was excellent for them.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1364 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Poor game and performance but the 3 points we desperately needed. Don’t think it was 442, more 4411 as Ings was usually behind Antonio.
Oggy rolled back the clock, but Fulham’s aimless crossing was meat & drink to him and Zouma without Mitrovic in there, might have been different if the mad Serb had played. Guess the end justifies the means right now, but play like that, 23% possession, against Arsenal and Newcastle will look like a picnic. We need 2 wins and one perhaps two draws to survive now, which should be possible, but thinking back to August and all the optimism after the last two seasons and the transfer spree still struggle to understand how we are in this mess, so another big summer ahead, owners manager, captain and a few players through the revolving Hammers door. Finally great support from the travelling fans, that stand was literally bouncing at times where I was in the back row, acknowledged by the players if not the manager, albeit Moyes would have found that difficult after the abuse.
Neil.C
Has liked: 88 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Neil.C »

The scoreline would have looked a lot healthier if Ings had taken his decent chance, and as for Cornet's one on one with the keeper........... :shocker:
Iron_Hammer
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Iron_Hammer »

Neil.C wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:27 am The scoreline would have looked a lot healthier if Ings had taken his decent chance, and as for Cornet's one on one with the keeper........... :shocker:
Imagine if Mitrovic was playing.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Whufc06 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:14 am It’s absolutely shameful how bad we are on the ball. 23% against Fulham?? Moyes needs to go and sharpish
We won.

We’re in a relegation battle, points keep you up, not possession.
Last edited by Takeiteasy on Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2071 likes
Total likes: 689 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Iron_Hammer wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:30 am Imagine if Mitrovic was playing.
The scoreline probably would have been the same? I don’t recall Vinicius having any chances.
jabbaglob123
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 675 likes

Post by jabbaglob123 »

Takeiteasy wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 9:34 am We won.

We’re in a relegation battle, points keep you up, not possession.
It's been a dreadful season so far and the football has been turgid, but there's no way in hell I'm going to be negative about three points and a clean sheet away from home, especially in a relegation fight.

Playing style may as well go in the bin now, it's too late for that, all we need is the points to stay up.
IronZ-79
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 501 likes

Post by IronZ-79 »

We beat what was put out in front of us. It's 3 points and we have given ourselves a chance of survival.

I'm expecting a similar performance vs Arsenal. We will probably revert to a 3 at the back or extra man in the midfield.