⚽ UCLQF1L: KAA Gent 1-1 West Ham Utd (13/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

DusseldorfHammer
Has liked: 2949 likes
Total likes: 2607 likes

Re: KAA Gent v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by DusseldorfHammer »

Kermit wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:26 am We should all stop believeing the hype about how good the PL is. There are some good sides in it of course, and one or two very good ones but there is also a lot of bang average dross and, unfortunately, our performances throughout the whiole of the last calendar year and the first few months of this one show we are one such team.

Imo Gent would hold their own in the PL and although individually they probably don't posess the , errr talent, which we are supposed to have they were, at least imo, a far more cohesive team than our lot. Far too many of our fans seem to think that because the opposition team isn't filled with household names the game will be a walk in the park. Isn't it conceivable that attitude and perception might also permeate through to the players ?
SPOT ON!

I also found it astonishing, that Moyes, Coufal and other players in the build-up of the match were actually answering questions about a potential final in Prague or winning the whole competition. Smalls signs of a lack of respect to the opposition that might creep into our team, that clearly isn't doing well and lacks individual quality when you come to a certain stage within our squad.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

TBF, we have played basically the same formation all the way through the conference and came into this game having won 10 out of 10 with 25 scored and only 5 conceded.

They were lively, as you'd expect, in their biggest game of the season, yet they defended like a complete pub team in the 10 minutes before half time. Our first XI should win the return leg, but when you have players giving the ball away with every second or third touch (Coufal+Johnson) and no real presence up front (Ings), it's bound to look a bit bad.

Ings appears to be yet another attacker who is only bench suitable, whilst the limitations of Coufal and Johnson in possession, much like Soucek, are long established. Add in the fact that Rice struggled with the intensity and it's no great surprise that we weren't great.

Downes, Lanzini and Bowen were ok, as were Antonio and Paqueta when they came on.
JustJoe85
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JustJoe85 »

Another horror performance but an OK(?) result.

Our press is the worst I have ever seen from any team. I don't think we win the ball back from an opposition unless it is within 20 yards of our own goal. Even their goal came from Rice not knowing whether to press or not. Although he didn't track the man he was looking for a 2nd man press that was nowhere to be seen.

Our passing is nearly as bad as the press. Our ball retention is terrible but mind you so many times when we had the ball there are no options ahead of the man in possession which is why we go wide over and over and over again. We also have no movement. We used to be good at attacking set pieces but I lost count of the number of free headers Gent had in their own box. 3 times in the first half Ogbonna won a header from a long throw but nobody else even bothered to make a run into the box for the 2nd ball.

We have become an absolute shell of the side we were and look genuinely terrified to try any do anything outside of the massively rigid structure we play in 30 yards from our own goal. Last year in the semis against Frankfurt I was gutted and dissapointed but proud. Today I feel disillusioned which is ridiculous to say after a European QF which we are still favourites to win.

Thanks Dave, I guess
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Ozza »

My thoughts that the players like many of the fans on here thought we’d walk through the game and win 3-0, 4-0…

Gent are no mugs, they are doing well in their league and are scoring for fun….

Game on, and we need to step our game up on the return leg
spod
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by spod »

I don’t think Gent are that good. We played atrociously but they didn’t take advantage. When we make mistakes in Premier League games, we get punished much more consistently. Their front two are good, but overall they’re very beatable.
I understand why people are disappointed in the way we’re playing, but I’m pretty positive about the second leg. Especially as I’m actually going.
Can’t bloody wait.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Should make fir a cracking 2nd leg at the Bowl. They will wheel out that massive DJ to create atmosphere . 🤣🤣
Hopefully the fans will be up for it
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Got back through the door at around 2am this morning. Must say, really really impressed how quickly we were back to the car after the game. Literally made it back to Calais around 10pm UK time but unfortunately had to wait for the 12.20 Eurotunnel as we didn't want to gamble missing it.

As for the game itself, we were lucky to come away with a draw from that in the end. The only positive (if you want to call it a positive) is that it will make for a cracking game next Thursday and not a dead rubber like the Larnaca game effectively was.

I get the feeling these players, like the fans, are expecting Moyes to depart come the summer.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

hammerman11 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:47 am Should make fir a cracking 2nd leg at the Bowl. They will wheel out that massive DJ to create atmosphere . 🤣🤣
Hopefully the fans will be up for it
Judging by ticket sales a week out from the game, I’m not sure.
I am Legend
Has liked: 1550 likes
Total likes: 1622 likes

Post by I am Legend »

Kermit wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:26 am Imo Gent would hold their own in the PL and although individually they probably don't posess the , errr talent, which we are supposed to have they were, at least imo, a far more cohesive team than our lot.
No they wouldn't. They would be right at the bottom. Most teams in the PL know how to play football, they just lack the squad.

We have the squad but lack the football

Gent wouldn't even win the Championship. And neither would we with this man in charge. A team that cannot play basic football will continue to dwindle and implode until all confidence and talent is gone from the players and staff.
WestHamLyallStyle
Has liked: 1337 likes
Total likes: 949 likes

Post by WestHamLyallStyle »

TommyHammer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:01 am Got back through the door at around 2am this morning. Must say, really really impressed how quickly we were back to the car after the game. Literally made it back to Calais around 10pm UK time but unfortunately had to wait for the 12.20 Eurotunnel as we didn't want to gamble missing it.

As for the game itself, we were lucky to come away with a draw from that in the end. The only positive (if you want to call it a positive) is that it will make for a cracking game next Thursday and not a dead rubber like the Larnaca game effectively was.

I get the feeling these players, like the fans, are expecting Moyes to depart come the summer.
What was the ground like Tommy ?

Looks quite cozy.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

WestHamLyallStyle wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:21 am What was the ground like Tommy ?

Looks quite cozy.
Yeah I really liked it mate, it was small of course but it was quite modern inside and made for a good atmosphere. There was a weird process in the concourse though, where you had to buy vouchers at a fixed price to then purchase food and drinks.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:40 am TBF, we have played basically the same formation all the way through the conference and came into this game having won 10 out of 10 with 25 scored and only 5 conceded.

They were lively, as you'd expect, in their biggest game of the season, yet they defended like a complete pub team in the 10 minutes before half time. Our first XI should win the return leg, but when you have players giving the ball away with every second or third touch (Coufal+Johnson) and no real presence up front (Ings), it's bound to look a bit bad.

Ings appears to be yet another attacker who is only bench suitable, whilst the limitations of Coufal and Johnson in possession, much like Soucek, are long established. Add in the fact that Rice struggled with the intensity and it's no great surprise that we weren't great.

Downes, Lanzini and Bowen were ok, as were Antonio and Paqueta when they came on.
Who is our first 11?I would suggest Coufal is in it
jastons
Has liked: 885 likes
Total likes: 837 likes

Post by jastons »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:10 am I got so bored of the commentator criticising the players' "belief", "confidence", "aggression" etc.
Equally annoying was Lucy Ward in the first half describing our players as being 'fantastic' against Fulham. We were awful. Same v Southampton.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Well that was brilliant.

Gent is a great place, the fans were on top form, in and out of the ground and i got pissed on Belgian beer.

Whats not to like
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

Ozza wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:41 am My thoughts that the players like many of the fans on here thought we’d walk through the game and win 3-0, 4-0…

Gent are no mugs, they are doing well in their league and are scoring for fun….

Game on, and we need to step our game up on the return leg
I had no perception of Gent pre-match as i know nothing about them, but i saw within 20 minutes that if we'd actually pressed their defence we could have been a few goals up by half time but we didn't. Our manager had made it obvious before the game began that we were going for a draw irrespective how good gent were. Because we didn't press them any further than a few minutes late in the first half, not surprisingly they started believing they could knock a few in because we looked so toothless and lackadaisical. Gent weren't very good, we made them look good by our attitude.
If you want to disrespect the opposition you do that by humiliating them, you don't do it by letting them play.
WestHamLyallStyle

TommyHammer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:29 am Yeah I really liked it mate, it was small of course but it was quite modern inside and made for a good atmosphere. There was a weird process in the concourse though, where you had to buy vouchers at a fixed price to then purchase food and drinks.
Yeah, it's a ' cashless ' stadium.
WestHamLyallStyle

Major wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:54 am Well that was brilliant.

Gent is a great place, the fans were on top form, in and out of the ground and i got pissed on Belgian beer.

Whats not to like
They make a lovely drop.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The press is what sets us apart from others in this tournament. Gives us a real platform to dominate.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

All still to play for. I thought we were far too easy pickings in the first half and didn't really shape up until we got through half time, and even then weren't quite at the races.

Rice looks like he's coasting at the moment. Disappointing.

Think we will be able to get a result in the home leg, but we really need to perform better than we did last night if we're going to get it.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 472 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

mattyD wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:41 am All our problems are because we can't keep the ball, we just seem to switch off in possession.
Our passing reminds me of a snooker player who’s out of position. Sure, he might make the pot but he’s likely to be out of position for the next shot as well. Eventually it’s break over.

With us, each pass is rushed, meaning the recipient is under unnecessary pressure. Sure, he might get the next pass away but it too is rushed and eventually it’s attack over.

For example, how often do you see the full back/wing back have to check their run to receive the ball rather than have it in front of them to take in their stride?