⚽ West Ham Utd 2-2 Arsenal (16/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

El brooko79
Has liked: 2962 likes
Total likes: 1975 likes

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal match thread

Post by El brooko79 »

Not for everyone but a lot of stats in this thread.

I find the player territories really interesting on the 3rd page.

Last edited by El brooko79 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Bonds boots
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by Billy Bonds boots »

Read yesterday that rice was in the tunnel getting a signed shirt of olegard, surely it shouid have been the other way round, also spotted they were having a chat at one of the corners probly arguing who was gonna be captain next year. Just wish this club had real ambition to lose talent like rice is a tragedy and I think we will always be a feeder club which saddens me. :thup:
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

Samba wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:45 pm Jill 'Bennyrahma' Scott :crylol:
Maybe she was thinking of Bananarama.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Has anybody ever seen Jill Scott and Mick Channon in the same room?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:25 am Not for everyone but a lot of stats in this thread.

I find the player territories really interesting on the 3rd page.
I don't know what territories of control actually means, but it seems notable that we are massively in control on the left and not the right.
Simon_1982
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by Simon_1982 »

Ben wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:06 pm What caused the sudden pressing and spirit?
It felt like a couple of players just started doing it and had a bit of a knock on effect then Declan steamed in to start that move for the pen..
Did Moyes instruct this/change something or did the players just think **** it let’s go!
I think the instruction has always been to press. We just haven’t been very good at it. Yesterday we were intense and most of the time a player pressing was backed up by someone else.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

El brooko79 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:25 am I find the player territories really interesting on the 3rd page.
Also the pass & carry :newthumb:
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

S-H wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:05 am Doesn't the double jeopardy rule only apply to the keeper?
No it is any player.
BoleynInsider
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 212 likes

Post by BoleynInsider »

BoleynInsider wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:23 am Keir Starmer in the midst of it all, lording it up, in his red and white scarf and £5000 suit (fitting in perfectly with the rest of the posh, private school helmets).
My pre-match prediction came up trumps…
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

Well, I have to say, that the result surprised me but get in.

Having time to sleep on it, I feel kinda of smug knowing that "little" ole West Ham came back from 2-0 down to title chasing Arsenal to finish 2-2. To put some cream on top of the cake, they also missed a penalty.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0781217/me ... f_=tt_md_1 (Can't do pictures)

And couldn't happen to a nicer manager Arteta and his dark arts. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

We are the Title chasing killers.
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1331 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Apart from the poor defending in the first 15 minutes by some distance our best performance of the season, yes we smashed Forest, scrapped past Everton Saints and Fulham but it’s a long time since we went toe to toe with one of the on song big boys and got a result. Having got back to 2-1 then conceded a penalty early in the second half most around me feared another Newcastle but the side showed much of the aggression and togetherness we saw in our peak Moyes period with total determination to get a result. Difficult to decide how much we forced L’Arse back or how much their arrogant complacency opened the door, but as at Anfield last week signs from Arteta’s boys they really struggle with physical confrontation and don’t cope well when not getting their own way, and we took the chance to really get at the league leaders. Question is can we repeat that attitude and effort for most or all of the dozen games potentially left, if we can survival and a European final could yet happen. The summer would still need a full review and some significant changes across the club, but so much better to do that on the back of a strong finish, let’s not get too excited yet but I think most of us travelled home yesterday more hopeful than we’ve been for a while.
OFT
Has liked: 2993 likes
Total likes: 1757 likes

Post by OFT »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am We are the Title chasing killers.
:grin: great ain't it, although, according to most of the stuff I've read elsewhere it was all Arsenals fault, nothing at all to do with, er, just a min, er, who was it they were playing.... Apparently no West Ham players made Garth Crooks TOTW so presumably he didn't know either. :winker:
Fak the lot of 'em
:crest:
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Colours never run wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:42 am We are the Title chasing killers.
This came into my mind walking away from the stadium yesterday …. August 2002, West Ham 2-2 Arsenal. West Ham go 2 up, Arsenal pull one back, West Ham miss a penalty and end up drawing 2-2 and end up falling short in May. Yesterday, Arsenal go 2 up …. miss a penalty at 2-1,,,
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

Didn't realise Kehrer was a last minute replacement for Aguerd. Any news on the injury?
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I thought Bowen was insanely good yesterday with Coufal a close second. I hope Coufal empties his pockets before sticking his shorts in the wash or a Brazilian will end up getting caught in the drum. I thought Rice acted like a real captain and the closing down of Partey was the catalyst for our comeback.
Antonio looked like a man with a bit between his teeth and it seems that no matter what new striker walks through the door we always rely on this bloke when the chips are down. I know our lovable 33 year old can be frustrating at times but he does tend to show up when it matters and he gave a 25 year old Gabriel nightmares. Well done Mike!
As for Paqueta, he really does have what it takes to be a world class player and yesterday we saw that in patches. Will be interesting to see how this one evolves.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

we had a couple of spares in our group yesterday so took a couple of pals from school who are Arsenal season ticket holders. Tbf they have been to quite a few games with us over the years

i would say us getting back into it was a combination of their complancency and that bit of luck we have been missing for most of the season. Just before Rice nicked the ball off Partey we put together our best move of the game to that point, nbut Arsenal were cruising. It took a bit of action from Rice to raise the tempo and get the first goal and then of course the missed penalty

from 55 minutes on we matcehd them though and Arsenal looked strsngely lethargic

The arsenal fans i were with were disappointed that Arsenal took their foot of the gas after the first 15 minutes, and they paid the price. Man City would not have been so complacent and would have been 4-0 up
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

mattyD wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:03 am Didn't realise Kehrer was a last minute replacement for Aguerd. Any news on the injury?
i thought he was a last minute replacement for Ogbonna?
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1231 likes

Post by funky chicken »

London Fields Hammer
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 88 likes

Post by London Fields Hammer »

Worth noting how ineffective Saka was. Everyone focused on the penalty miss, but Cresswell must have done a good job because he didn't get much of a look in at all.