⚽ UCLQF2L: West Ham Utd 4-1 KAA Gent (20/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: West Ham United vs K.A.A. Gent: match thread

Post by hammerman11 »

we are a big team but let ourselves down constantly.
Doylaz
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Doylaz »

BigFatSam wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:12 pm Tonight was a perfect attendance. West Ham fans that actually support the club, rather than the premier league fakes we get. What a fantastic atmosphere tonight, what a great game. Lovely!
Have to disagree with this re support. It was a brilliant night and yes the atmosphere was great once we got going. But the team was winning 4-1 in a European Quarter Final and around 30,000 people left on the 80 minute mark. That doesn’t strike me as great supporters that were there last night. The team deserve our support right to the end after putting in a performance like that. Who knows when we’ll ever be in the same position again.
Ethanadict
Has liked: 127 likes
Total likes: 250 likes

Post by Ethanadict »

Doylaz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am Have to disagree with this re support. It was a brilliant night and yes the atmosphere was great once we got going. But the team was winning 4-1 in a European Quarter Final and around 30,000 people left on the 80 minute mark. That doesn’t strike me as great supporters that were there last night. The team deserve our support right to the end after putting in a performance like that. Who knows when we’ll ever be in the same position again.
Yeah I said similar in my post a little earlier. The amount leaving early cheesed me isn’t off. I don’t want to put a downer on a brilliant night, but come on people, stay until the final whistle. Clap the players off.

I had a rubbish journey home myself but it was worth it.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 382 likes
Total likes: 1412 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

hawkins_hammer wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:27 am He's going to get stick for that miss, but Soucek had a really good game, and steadied the ship as much as Rice when we were stumbling first half. He's going to be crucial in the semis.
I don't think Soucek deserves much stick for that - there are very few of ours who would (regularly) get into the position he was at that point anyway.
Billy Hunt
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by Billy Hunt »

How vital was our first goal, coming late in the first half...

Rice was a giant out there, and he had a supporting cast of some very good performers, particularly in the second half.

Paquetta's skill, vision and passing is quite sublime, which makes the poor pass to set up their goal baffling. But he made amends.

Special mentions for Coufal, Zouma, Bowen and Soucek too, plus Antonio for two very well taken goals.

That second half showed how good we can be :newthumb:
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Also Soucek had a great game. Broke up play and played simple balls...finally seem to be getting players to play to their strengths.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Still smiling
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

That was alright wasn't it.
Gent are no mugs to be honest, that second half display was superb from us.
So nice to see how much it means to all the players in the post match interviews and celebrations too.

Great atmosphere too... night in Amsterdam anyone??
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

If we can continue playing how we played in the last 2 2nd halves, there’s not a team in this competition that can stop us. Just hope the performances levels keep up now.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:08 am Attendance: 53,475.
Versus Gent.

David Dein was right.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

Doylaz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am It was a brilliant night and yes the atmosphere was great once we got going.
Most around me were more interested in making aeroplanes and seeing if they could land them on the pitch, rather than support and create an atmosphere.

Some very good performances and great to see us at it from the off. Rice goal...wow, just wow.

Hope they get the pricing right for the semi
Last edited by Phil S on Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Sloop John B wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:54 am Also Soucek had a great game. Broke up play and played simple balls...finally seem to be getting players to play to their strengths.
Like others I was gutted his shot didn’t go on. Would have capped a decent performance and maybe given him a real shot in the arm.

Did the dirty work yesterday and did it well and the balance of the three finally looked like it worked!
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

That was fun. Proper fun. Could've been 6 in the end.
Yodi
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Yodi »

Doylaz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am Have to disagree with this re support. It was a brilliant night and yes the atmosphere was great once we got going. But the team was winning 4-1 in a European Quarter Final and around 30,000 people left on the 80 minute mark. That doesn’t strike me as great supporters that were there last night. The team deserve our support right to the end after putting in a performance like that. Who knows when we’ll ever be in the same position again.

I never like people leaving early but I get it in many games

But last night it was really poor.... Why why why.... My mate headed straight for the exit on the final whistle, I pulled him back said let's give them some applause for 5 minutes
Last edited by Yodi on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Still beaming from ear to ear. We're proud of you West Ham! :)
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

Phil S wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:45 am Most around me were more interested in making aeroplanes and seeing if they could land them on the pitch, rather than support and create an atmosphere.

Some very good performances and great to see us at it from the off. Rice goal...wow, just wow.

Hope they get the pricing right for the semi
These are strange matches indeed as regards atmosphere. Bit dead in the first half when the team needed them and as you say, people more interested in paper aeroplanes or ****ing elastic bands at each other.
The one thing that really puzzles me is the lack of season ticket take up for these games, these are the big ones, the ones we all look forward to, the ones that are a reward for all the dross.
And yet in my row and the rows immediately in front and behind, I'd guess only a handful of regulars in their normal seats. I really cannot understand it.
What you seem to get with the irregular supporter is massive support for about 10 mins followed by a lull, followed by familiar abuse 'Soucek you useless ****' etc etc . Then the paper planes come out and then five minutes before half time everyone is off to the bar, only to return about five minutes after the second half has started.
It really is big day out syndrome, and am not knocking it (well perhaps I am), I just don't understand it that's all.
I'm definitely getting old.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Yodi wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:27 am I never like people leaving early but I get it in many games

But last night it was really poor.... Why why why.... My mate headed straight for the exit on the final whistle, I pulled him back said let's give them some applause for 5 minutes
Don't knock it mate. A few short weeks ago people would have been staying till the end of thje match to avoid the rush for the car parks. :)
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Incredible. The short pass, one touch play was astounding in places. Where the fck did that come from? It's almost as if the players have said "we're not playing that safe channel sht anymore". Even Mikey was running through and not always stationary with his back to goal. I've booked my ticket to Prague.
Uptonogood247
Has liked: 181 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Uptonogood247 »

Great night with a great result. The missus even agreed to let me take my 2 boys (17 & 15) to the final if we make it. COYI, Last time you won anything of merit I was 7!!
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

I will not jinx things by buying a ticket to Prague....

Mostly regulars around me but the still left 5-10;mins from the end. To be fair most of them then waiatch from the concourse to be able to get away before the masses Of course they still miss out on the deserved cheers and applause for the players.