⚽ UCLQF2L: West Ham Utd 4-1 KAA Gent (20/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Re: West Ham United vs K.A.A. Gent: match thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

as they say...

Rice sent the defender so far the wrong way, he had to pay re-admission to get back into the ground.....

:winker:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Doylaz wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:38 am Have to disagree with this re support. It was a brilliant night and yes the atmosphere was great once we got going. But the team was winning 4-1 in a European Quarter Final and around 30,000 people left on the 80 minute mark. That doesn’t strike me as great supporters that were there last night.
Probably parents knowing they had a **** journey home and that their kids had school the next day. Or perhaps people that had a long journey, had work in the morning and didn't want to get stuck at the stop and go signs.

In truth it could be any number of reasons. People pay their money, they can leave when they want. The game was done by the 80th minute, Gent were spent and we were just toying with them. Frankly, it's bad darts for you to be digging them as "not great supporters" without not knowing at all how they supported the team for the rest of the game, or other games. :thdn:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

That mustv'e been a miserable journey home for the Gent fans
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

The celebrations after Rice’s goal made those after the first two look tame. Fantastic goal from the skipper.

I agree with some of the comments made above. I felt slightly embarrassed that the players were applauded by so so few after the game. Each to their own, and I won’t pretend to know what drives peoples decisions so I won’t for a second complain, but for the players that came over to us fans last night it would have been good for them to have been met with greater numbers.

It was no Sevilla, but it was a decent atmosphere in the second half and it shows that with some effort the place can be noisy. Buzzing for the semi-final now.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

For anyone who watched the halftime quiz last night and wondered how the fan got top marks,my youngest grandson was standing behind Chris Scull ,who was doing the quiz,and he could see the answers and told the bloke when he didn’t know the answer.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

Also, fair play to the travelling fans. Certainly not the noisiest we’ve had visit us, but by far the best numbers we’ve had in this competition and better than most last year too, Frankfurt aside obviously.
EMI
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by EMI »

sendô wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:46 pm Probably parents knowing they had a **** journey home and that their kids had school the next day. Or perhaps people that had a long journey, had work in the morning and didn't want to get stuck at the stop and go signs.
All of this, we left on 86 mins, got home at 01:15, if we'd have stayed till the end and applauded the boys off then we'd have been past 02:00. I'm at work today and my 12 yo son at school. TBH it took real discipline to leave before then end as we would normally stay to clap the lads off, win or lose.

I guess the alternative would have been not to go to the game, but as others have said, you don't know when we'll be here again...
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

We played some fantastic football last night, it was a joy to see.
Got to give respect to the Gent fans who were still singing at the death.
Rice's goal was fantastic, he and Paqueta seem to have developed an understanding.
There are some tough games ahead but it really feels like we have turned the corner.

The journey home was a nightmare, does anybody know why the A13 was shut?
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

sendô wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:46 pm Probably parents knowing they had a **** journey home and that their kids had school the next day. Or perhaps people that had a long journey, had work in the morning and didn't want to get stuck at the stop and go signs.

In truth it could be any number of reasons. People pay their money, they can leave when they want. The game was done by the 80th minute, Gent were spent and we were just toying with them. Frankly, it's bad darts for you to be digging them as "not great supporters" without not knowing at all how they supported the team for the rest of the game, or other games. :thdn:
Nope…… It happens at every game and it’s a problem brought on by having more casual supporters due to the increase in the capacity of The OS. There is a bloke near me that turns up for half the games. He gets to those games ten minutes late, goes down for his half-time pie ten minutes early and leaves the stadium ten minutes before the whistle. Pay your money and do as you wish as you rightly state. But I am also well within my rights to call that bloke a **** supporter and it’s bad darts for you to suggest I should not.
Last edited by costa75 on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Not sure its been mentioned (maybe because people are still on a high from the result) but I think Aguerd was very fortunate that gent's goal went in after it hit his arm as I think it would have been a nailed on red Card and a penalty. I say that as even though his arms were behind his back he still tried to keep the ball out with his elbow by the looks of it as he lent into the ball. Thankfully the ball went in as the rest is history.
fine margins and all that ey.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Or having to leave a bit early because your old man isn't feeling great on his feet these days and was concerned with getting his train back after the last time he came and had issues getting home. For him missing most of the crowd leaving meant he got back without any hassle on top of his poor health. Fortunately we saw the last goal and cheered the Team on throughout the time we were there. Best not to assume what some people have to contend with when travelling. And I'm thankful we were able to spend the quality time we can whilst he is just able to travel as there won't be too many more by the sound of him more recently.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:04 pm Not sure its been mentioned (maybe because people are still on a high from the result) but I think Aguerd was very fortunate that gent's goal went in after it hit his arm as I think it would have been a nailed on red Card and a penalty. I say that as even though his arms were behind his back he still tried to keep the ball out with his elbow by the looks of it as he lent into the ball. Thankfully the ball went in as the rest is history.
Not true, as it wouldn't be deliberate hand ball so not a red would be a yellow for accidental
zinger549
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by zinger549 »

Great performance last night.Would be great if we could get to the final. Hopefully we can carry the momentum on to Sundays game.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 254 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:11 pm Not true, as it wouldn't be deliberate hand ball so not a red would be a yellow for accidental
Wrong.
A movement towards the ball could, and probably would be deemed deliberate hand ball, so could easily be a Red. With Europa conference league officials you never quite know what's coming at the best of times.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Coops wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:50 pm
The journey home was a nightmare, does anybody know why the A13 was shut?
I am guessing an accident because we was passed by a police car when we stopped in the traffic but we managed to turn off and go through the Thamesview estate and come out further down the A13 and yes we did stay to the end .
Mullhull
Has liked: 346 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Mullhull »

:hamm: Here come the Hammers.... :hamm:
blahblahblah
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 230 likes

Post by blahblahblah »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:34 pm Wrong.
A movement towards the ball could, and probably would be deemed deliberate hand ball, so could easily be a Red. With Europa conference league officials you never quite know what's coming at the best of times.
The announcer on Paramount+ kept saying he thought it would've been a penalty and a red. You never know what VAR will decide, but Aguerd had his arms locked behind his back and when he leaned over the ball struck his sleeve.

On that note, I still cannot understand how Benrahama's header towards goal that was stopped by an arm was not a penalty but an awkward ball off a thigh to arm was. Ah well, we won and that's all that matters.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

Oldun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:09 pm For anyone who watched the halftime quiz last night and wondered how the fan got top marks,my youngest grandson was standing behind Chris Scull ,who was doing the quiz,and he could see the answers and told the bloke when he didn’t know the answer.
Why would he do that?
pezza20
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 1058 likes

Post by pezza20 »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:04 pm Not sure its been mentioned (maybe because people are still on a high from the result) but I think Aguerd was very fortunate that gent's goal went in after it hit his arm as I think it would have been a nailed on red Card and a penalty. I say that as even though his arms were behind his back he still tried to keep the ball out with his elbow by the looks of it as he lent into the ball. Thankfully the ball went in as the rest is history.
It actually hit his shoulder, but would have been looked at had he stoped the ball from going in.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Very nice pass from Aguerd to send us away for the fourth goal.

It's simple in theory but a lot of defenders will either choose not to attempt that pass on the edge of their own box or even just not see it.

Good example of some of the progressiveness that we were buying when we went for Nayef.