⚽ UCLQF2L: West Ham Utd 4-1 KAA Gent (20/4/23)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

nt_hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Re: West Ham United vs K.A.A. Gent: match thread

Post by nt_hammer »

Unbelievable performance last night.

Been impressed with our spirit and fight in recent games, to come from behind and get a couple of results is very pleasing.

Long may it continue!
Hammer1966
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by Hammer1966 »

costa75 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:02 pm Nope…… It happens at every game and it’s a problem brought on by having more casual supporters due to the increase in the capacity of The OS. There is a bloke near me that turns up for half the games. He gets to those games ten minutes late, goes down for his half-time pie ten minutes early and leaves the stadium ten minutes before the whistle. Pay your money and do as you wish as you rightly state. But I am also well within my rights to call that bloke a **** supporter and it’s bad darts for you to suggest I should not.
It's a problem alright. There's a lad near us who has a clipboard and a stopwatch who times everyone coming in and out instead of actually watching the game.

Loved that game last night. I'd travelled a bloody long way due to work (a 10 hour flight got me into Heathrow at 3pm) and I was sorely tempted to sack it off but my daughter pushed me out the door. The reaction to Rice's goal alone was worth it. Well done West Ham.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

ihateroeder wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:51 pm Why would he do that?
Why wouldn’t he?
Takeiteasy
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by Takeiteasy »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:10 pm Or having to leave a bit early because your old man isn't feeling great on his feet these days and was concerned with getting his train back after the last time he came and had issues getting home.
Hope you both had a top evening :hamm:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Billydinho wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:21 pm Anyone blamed Benrahma for their goal yet? :wink:
It’s only Friday, give it time.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

As a season ticket of 30 years, one who travels to a few away including abroad, I’ll happily admit to leaving early. I don’t even have a hellish journey home either.

I wanted to go for a beer to toast the quarter final victory in Europe with my Dad and friends. The game was dead, they were begging for the whistle and we just knocked it about.

If you wanted to stay in that hellhole longer than you had to to clap the players off because they bothered to show up for a night then that is absolutely your right. 👍🏼
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Takeiteasy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:49 pm Hope you both had a top evening :hamm:

We did, ta. Although we'd have preferred to have stayed so to soak up the rest of the atmosphere, he really didn't want to risk it after the last time, as well as all the train faff to do with strikes and what not. That walk for him now to the Station is also a real killer getting back to Strat Int, he doesn't think he can keep getting his season ticket which is gutting to be honest, on top of his poor health. If this season is his last going regularly, it would be fantastic to go out together on a high winning the Cup and staying up. Feel quite emotional thinking about it as it's that old c**** fault he made me get in to West Ham to begin with! I'm definitely forcing him to stay for the Semi, even if I have to drive him back after the game.. :hamm:
1895Hammer
Has liked: 1332 likes
Total likes: 751 likes

Post by 1895Hammer »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:22 pm We did, ta. Although we'd have preferred to have stayed so to soak up the rest of the atmosphere, he really didn't want to risk it after the last time, as well as all the train faff to do with strikes and what not. That walk for him now to the Station is also a real killer getting back to Strat Int, he doesn't think he can keep getting his season ticket which is gutting to be honest, on top of his poor health. If this season is his last going regularly, it would be fantastic to go out together on a high winning the Cup and staying up. Feel quite emotional thinking about it as it's that old ***** fault he made me get in to West Ham to begin with! I'm definitely forcing him to stay for the Semi, even if I have to drive him back after the game.. :hamm:
CNR can you not try routing through Pudding Mill Lane or Hackney Wick to get back to Stratford. There’s a few older guys do that rather than the mile hike through the “ stop -go” nonsense, pretty frequent trains and the crowded platforms are in the opposite direction away from the ground. Appreciate its the main station not International but still a lot less walking.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

costa75 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:02 pm Nope…… It happens at every game and it’s a problem brought on by having more casual supporters due to the increase in the capacity of The OS.
You know people used to leave early at the Boleyn too, right?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Yeah, his legs and ticker are shot these days, so with all the travelling by trains and walking he's just about done, but appreciate the thought thanks. Which I understand to be honest, as I feel guilty watching him struggle on to get there from afar, whereas it doesn't really affect me. He thinks he's done his time following us all over and would rather suffer watching us from now on cursing at his telly instead. His health of course comes first, although I did warn him he's just as likely to suffer from a coronary anyway watching us on the box*. :grin:

*Better sitting on his sofa really

It'll comes to us all eventually. In the mean time, here's to 1 or 2 more european nights to enjoy together.... :beer:
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Oldun wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:09 pm For anyone who watched the halftime quiz last night and wondered how the fan got top marks,my youngest grandson was standing behind Chris Scull ,who was doing the quiz,and he could see the answers and told the bloke when he didn’t know the answer.
🤣🤣
Defiant25
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Defiant25 »

Colours never run wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 pm 1895

Yeah, his legs and ticker are shot these days, so with all the travelling by trains and walking he's just about done, but appreciate the thought thanks.
Had to stop taking my dad this season for the same reason. The walk to the stadium was too much. That said my brother still goes and uses a disability scooter, he has a muscular disease and can only walk short distances. Parks it under the stairs and manages to walk to his seat although we don’t have to deal with the steps. It requires a mindset change to admit they need them but may keep him doing things he loves a little longer. Worth looking at..
Garry
Has liked: 149 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by Garry »

I cant believe it im going to see mickey flannagan on the 11th im not going to enjoy it with us in the semi final on the same night . bloody gutted I will not even be able to go on my phone as there banned
Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 1853 likes

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

Garry wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:29 am I cant believe it im going to see mickey flannagan on the 11th im not going to enjoy it with us in the semi final on the same night . bloody gutted I will not even be able to go on my phone as there banned
Could try selling your tickets and buying new ones through this site - https://www.twickets.live/catalog/searc ... gions=GBLO

Completely legit and they don't let the person selling charge more than the original price they paid (ticket + any fees). Nothing on there for the 11th but some pairs for Wembley the week before.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

costa75 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:02 pmNope…… It happens at every game and it’s a problem brought on by having more casual supporters due to the increase in the capacity of The OS.
I hardly missed a single home game at Upton Park between 1995 and 2015, and witnessed many many folk leave early over that fairly large spell of football under everyone from Bungpuss to Slav. It is, in my opinion, an absolute myth that it has anything to do with the OS or the capacity.

I’ve also done games at Brisbane Road, Brentford and Craven Ctg this season where the same thing has happened. People just like avoiding crowds or know their personal public transport times.

We do it quite a lot because the football is boring us and it’s great to get a beer in at the pub before everyone else.

Happy to be labelled a causal fan. I suspect my mileage suggests I’m not.
Bubbles Fortuna
Has liked: 1934 likes
Total likes: 4635 likes

Post by Bubbles Fortuna »

Garry wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:29 am I cant believe it im going to see mickey flannagan on the 11th im not going to enjoy it with us in the semi final on the same night . bloody gutted I will not even be able to go on my phone as there banned
Can you not record the game and watch it when you get home mate?

Try to enjoy the gig and worry about the score later.
Ilford Paolo
Has liked: 406 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Ilford Paolo »

I don't usually mix beer and football but a mate from my university days came on Thursday and we went to the King Eddie after. Had a good chat with three Gent fans who were staying in Stratford before driving back yesterday. They were interested in our loyalty points system which they don't have. They pay about 20 euros to join a travel club with the club but couldn't explain how they were allocated if demand exceeded supply.