The sports protest thread

Want to talk sport? The Forum to discuss all sports not related to the beautiful game.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

The sports protest thread

Post by Bend it like Repka »

This could get busy this summer. We've already had horse racing and snooker.

Extinction Rebellion have promised not to disrupt the marathon, but the just Stop Oil twats won't do so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/65335724

Messing with sports fans will really backfire. Someone will get properly slapped at some point.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1796 likes
Total likes: 1120 likes

Re: The sports protest thread

Post by Macca1973 »

Good. I look forward to seeing the sport going public doing what the police and courts refuse to do.
Shabu
Has liked: 4166 likes
Total likes: 2020 likes

Post by Shabu »

Those of us of a certain age will remember the suffragettes burning down football stadiums just so women could have the vote - which most men thought was ridiculous at the time.

These kids today are amateurs compared to those hardcore bitches.

Although maybe history will look at them the same way we view the suffragettes. They were just doing what had to be done to make changes as people are just content to let things stay the same, even if it's wrong.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Macca1973 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:05 pm Good. I look forward to seeing the sport going public doing what the police and courts refuse to do.
What break the law? Ofc they refuse to do so.
Eggchaser
Has liked: 1862 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Eggchaser »

Shabu wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:13 pm Those of us of a certain age will remember the suffragettes burning down football stadiums just so women could have the vote - which most men thought was ridiculous at the time.

These kids today are amateurs compared to those hardcore bitches.

Although maybe history will look at them the same way we view the suffragettes. They were just doing what had to be done to make changes as people are just content to let things stay the same, even if it's wrong.
'kin 'ell Shabs how old are you? :crylol:
Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 »

mumbles87 wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:07 pm What break the law? Ofc they refuse to do so.
Prosecute people for breaking the law, you know, doing their jobs?! Criminal damage, trespass to name just a couple of offences!
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Macca1973 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:39 am Prosecute people for breaking the law, you know, doing their jobs?! Criminal damage, trespass to name just a couple of offences!
Lock them up forever without trial

That will make you happy
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 791 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Ok, lets keep this to sporting protests, not a rant against society and state control. Don't want it locked
Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 »

mumbles87 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:57 am Lock them up forever without trial

That will make you happy
Pathetic! Let them keep wreaking havoc, damaging public property without facing consequences? That will make you happy!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:31 am Ok, lets keep this to sporting protests, not a rant against society and state control. Don't want it locked
Ok, protests will never ever be popular, but without them change doesn't happen.

They force change sooner

Cause about as much havoc at a sporting event as a fan coked up or drunk beyond reckoning running across the pitch at a key moment in play
Macca1973

Post by Macca1973 »

They are going to force everyone to ‘just stop oil’ by ruining the paying publics fun and disrupting professional sportspersons who have trained their whole lives? Or sabotaging the nation’s favourite horse race is going to lead to the end of an entire industry that employs many thousands of people?

No is the answer to both.

It’s pathetic and selfish and in many cases, such as the Horse Racing industry the protesters are ignorant and uneducated.

Agree with her not, Greta Thunberg stood outside parliament on her own, holding a sign, disrupting no one and started a global movement. You don’t have to make people’s lives miserable in order to protest.
chelmsfordhammer91
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by chelmsfordhammer91 »

I agree with their aim, but their way of doing it is way out of line.

I completely get that you need to cause some form of disruption to get attention and hopefully change. However, don't f*ck about with the working people.

We already have a phased out target for ICE vehicles, get a large proportion of our energy from renewables and encourage people to cycle etc. There's still a long way to go, but it takes time and development. Not some overnight jobby that you can just replace decades of infrastructure in a year or two.

More needs to be done, but it's mostly caused by industry/commercial. How many of these protesters drive an ICE vehicle, buy stuff made in China, India etc. Use fossil fuel generated utilities or even have a portion of their pension invested in funds with holdings in the very companies they should be fighting against. Complete hypocrisy IMO.

I'm glad the two in the news were shocked about their sentence, too right.

My FIL couldn't get to a job that day because of them. That job was to get a lift in a residential block of flats up and running again. Several disabled people couldn't get out of their properties. That's just one of many real world situations they directly caused.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I think the likes of XR have learned lessons from people like Mick Lynch and Greta Thunberg, as to how best to get into the public domain, and into spheres of influence, where they have a greater opportunity to influence things. The more reasonable their direct action, the more likely the public are to be onside with them. This soft power, will force even conservative forces to pivot towards environmentalism, as it will need to be baked into the manifesto somewhere.

The direct action at sports events will have no positive, or material impact, other than to frustrate, annoy and cause ridicule. It will also undermine the work that is done by those who support a more restrained direct action. The same with frothy walk offs during television and radio interviews.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

chelmsfordhammer91 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:32 pm I agree with their aim, but their way of doing it is way out of line.

I completely get that you need to cause some form of disruption to get attention and hopefully change. However, don't f*ck about with the working people.

We already have a phased out target for ICE vehicles, get a large proportion of our energy from renewables and encourage people to cycle etc. There's still a long way to go, but it takes time and development. Not some overnight jobby that you can just replace decades of infrastructure in a year or two.

More needs to be done, but it's mostly caused by industry/commercial. How many of these protesters drive an ICE vehicle, buy stuff made in China, India etc. Use fossil fuel generated utilities or even have a portion of their pension invested in funds with holdings in the very companies they should be fighting against. Complete hypocrisy IMO.

I'm glad the two in the news were shocked about their sentence, too right.

My FIL couldn't get to a job that day because of them. That job was to get a lift in a residential block of flats up and running again. Several disabled people couldn't get out of their properties. That's just one of many real world situations they directly caused.
To be fair they didn't close the road the police did. Could have been left open , they never were going anywhere

But on their campaign it does make sense. Yes we have targets but it was all the new oil contracts being signed they wanted stopped rather than oil completely

Gov should have doubled down on new renewables and uncoupling price of electric from gas rather than doubling down on fossil fuels.
thamesideiron
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 197 likes

Post by thamesideiron »

Problem with these protests is,they just don't get the big picture...Uk goes completely "Green" tomorrow,would not make a jot
of difference to the Worlds Environment,we cause 1% or less of global emissions.wanna protest get your arses over to China who cause 30%.

We're cutting our emissions,most are still increasing,we're way down the list per Capita...Chinas is 50% more,Russia twice as much,as is
Germany and Japan...Middle East all 3 times ours as is Canada and States....goes on..

Funding for what is needed,will like it or not come mainly from the the Oil and Gas companies these protesters wanna shut down,or tax the ****
outta ....at this moment in time we still Need gas and oil,will do for next 20/30 years...it will be phased out,we're leading the world
in that target.

Nothing P**ses me off more than to see what is happening in the world,which our emissions are contributing to...contributing to,
Nature is also doing it's thing...so we must do our very utmost to stop emissions as soon as...But...

March/Speak out/lobby ..all day long yes......The Protesting thing at moment NO,doesn't change a thing and causes more harm than good.

It's a worldwide problem ..stop hurting spoiling, and making life difficult for your own ..
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:21 pm To be fair they didn't close the road the police did. Could have been left open , they never were going anywhere
Don't be so ridiculous.

In an alternate reality, one loses their footing and lands on a vehicle causing death to the driver, you'd be the first one on here blaming Tory police cuts for not having enough officers to close the road....
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

-DL- wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:25 am Don't be so ridiculous.

In an alternate reality, one loses their footing and lands on a vehicle causing death to the driver, you'd be the first one on here blaming Tory police cuts for not having enough officers to close the road....
Quite right. Without Tory incompetence they never would have needed to go up there
Plashet Grove Pete
Location: I'm riding down Kingsley, figurin' I'll get a drink ....
Has liked: 261 likes
Total likes: 459 likes

Post by Plashet Grove Pete »

mumbles87 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:07 am Quite right. Without Tory incompetence they never would have needed to go up there
Do you blame the Tories every time you hit a bad golf shot?

I bet you're a riot in the clubhouse.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Plashet Grove Pete wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:24 pm Do you blame the Tories every time you hit a bad golf shot?

I bet you're a riot in the clubhouse.
Considering I'm right handed a bad shoot would indeed be far right ..

Always best to miss left. At least they look after you