The Top of the Pops Thread

The all-encompassing home of media discussion - including music, film, and television.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sword
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Re: The Top of the Pops Thread

Post by sword »

:grin:
alf git wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:14 pm Was that Bob Holness? :smiler:
Ha-ha! That ol' chestnut. Nah, he played on Baker Street :winker:
That's Wesley McGoogan on sax, also the co-writer with Hazel.
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1641 likes

Post by last.caress »

And, of course, here's our winner from this week's batch:

southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I had forgotten all about that song until last night, I was in fits of laughter.

No, obviously the winner was New Order playing Thieves Like Us live, a superior effort to their attempt at wrecking Blue Monday a year earlier.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 357 likes
Total likes: 794 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Watching that 1977 one, it's not hard to see why the country's youth was crying out for a punk revolution.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 8:11 am Watching that 1977 one, it's not hard to see why the country's youth was crying out for a punk revolution.
:newthumb:

Every single male performer on that 1977 episode had the body of an eight year old girl, the neck of a giraffe, and their mothers' hairstyles perched precariously on their pin-sized heads. Except for the bald guy in Delegation (the three dudes in glorious green Spandex). It was a strange, strange time for humanity, for sure.
Bend it like Repka

The 70s were bizarre to me. Given the 60s had given birth the mini skirt, Mods, Roger Moore snappily dressed as James Bond, I just don't understand what happened to people in the decade of brown and blandness.

Even as a 7 year old I thought flares as huge collars looked ****. Black people were meant to be hip and trendy, yet those green gymnastic outfits you mention were beyond terrible. I hated Slade, Mud, Elton John's glasses, Leo Sayer's waistcoats, Alvin Stardust's sideburns, Bay City Rollers platforms, Sweet's glitter and Bowies orange hair. Freddy Mercury looked awful and half the male bands had enough hair for a rope factory.

I've been slagging the 90s episodes, but that 1977 one just reminded me of power cuts, strikes and everything that was crap in the first 9 years of my life.

When the Specials, the Beat, the Jam appeared it was like the arrival of the New Testament. Literally the dawn of a new world.
Bend it like Repka

I mean this is a tune. But how did a load of dudes sit down and think these outfits were a good look?

I can only assume the gay/effeminate singer was in charge of the clothing budget.......
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

I noticed by chance on the chart rundown for one of the 1994 episodes an entry for a song by Morrissey and Siouxsie called Interlude. I'd never heard it, and it seemed like an unlikely duo, so I checked Youtube today, and I like it. It's a cover of a song from 1968, apparently.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:49 pm Given the 60s had given birth (to) ... Roger Moore snappily dressed as James Bond
Rog got his licence to kill in 1973 as I'm sure you're aware, Bendy.

The 1970s were brilliant for music, film and fashion, both post and pre-punk. Somehow, the pre-Pistols episodes of TotP don't want to reflect that whatsoever. The establishment-dominated pop charts seem in a proper ****ing state. A bit like these 1994 episodes which are only just seeing the green shoots of Britpop. The early nineties were ****ing brilliant but you wouldn't know it looking at TotP. All corporate pop reggae-style covers and floppy-haired non-threatening boy bands or soap stars in their dads' linen shirts and beige linen waistcoats. And trilling cows all trying to be Mariah Carey. And Mariah Carey.
last.caress
Star Raid-er

Post by last.caress »

And FYI: Polyester flares and loud, massive-collared shirts rule, as do stacked shoes, Spandex crazy outfits, pimp hats and intimidatingly manly moustaches and other facial hair accoutrements. Not everyone is as married to the Forrest Gump look as you are, pickle xxx
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

WCpete wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:56 pm
Ron Mael, pissing off &/or terrifying, parents everywhere.. :crylol:
Bend it like Repka

last.caress wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:02 am Rog got his licence to kill in 1973 as I'm sure you're aware, Bendy.
Yup a double error there. I mean Connery, wrong decade, wrong Bond. Moore wasn't even a fashion statement, no style.

Other than that I was bang on. :crylol:
dasnutnock3
Has liked: 1859 likes
Total likes: 2446 likes

Post by dasnutnock3 »

last.caress wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:21 pm And, of course, here's our winner from this week's batch:
Wrong. It was that bizarre dance routine where a black lad chased after a white girl, then beat her up, in front of a load of her dancing mates.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Music Highlight - Terrorvision
Weekly WTF - Naughty, Naughty, Naughty

I still can’t fathom the longevity of some of 90’s number 1’s

Unless you were Terry Waite and otherwise occupied for a few months who the hell thinks that Wet Wet Wet track, I like that I’ll have to buy it when it’s been everywhere for months
Bend it like Repka

Rio wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:46 am Unless you were Terry Waite and otherwise occupied for a few months who the hell thinks that Wet Wet Wet track, I like that I’ll have to buy it when it’s been everywhere for months
Lol. I used to think the same. That Robin Hood tune that's been number one for months, played about a 1000 times on the radio. Think I'll pop out and buy it right now.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

"... there will come a day when <some crap song> will not be played every 12 minutes on Radio 1, and on that benighted day, I will be bereft, shorn of all certainty in my life, ripped from the comforting sameness that fuels my dreary existence, and to forestall that day, I will hie me hence to the record shop and bay a copy of it", thought 10 million dullards, perpetuating endless turgid chart crap to the annoyance of the sane,
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

dasnutnock3 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:28 am Wrong. It was that bizarre dance routine where a black lad chased after a white girl, then beat her up, in front of a load of her dancing mates.
From about 24 minutes https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... s-05051977
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Given the lamenting of 'effeminate' popsters' clothing, Lyndsey DePaul (remember her?) got on TOTP criticising it all (this German tv though)

vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 578 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Bend it like Repka wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 11:50 am Lol. I used to think the same. That Robin Hood tune that's been number one for months, played about a 1000 times on the radio. Think I'll pop out and buy it right now.
First outing in China (24 years ago!) they were still 'opening up' to western culture, but it was like they got all the music at once and didn't have our perpective of modern pop development. You heard 'Wonderful Tonight' everywhere and the kids in school thought Eric Clapton was a young rising star.
Tried Cream on them and they refused to believe it was him and hated it.
On repeat were also: The Lion King song and the one from Titanic (I suppose they were 'contemporary') By 2001 it was Hotel California left, right & centre, which I didn't mind cos despite over-familiarity it is still a kicking choon.

About then, though, Korean Boy Bands (H.O.T.) were taking hold. Now we have Xi Jinping criticising 'cissy bands'
dasnutnock3

Post by dasnutnock3 »

vietnammer wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 1:35 pmXi Jinping criticising 'cissy bands'
He keeps it hardcore with the likes of Coldplay, Ed Sheeran and Mumford & Sons.